What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

I'd have jumped. Where in Florida?

They were Virginia this week for $36. 

Blanton's has been plentiful lately at $52, for some reason.   Seeing ECSB A117 at $60 too, but none of the B release.

I'd love to come across EHT4G, as I missed 6 bottles by a day.  

Edited by gurgalunas

Went to dinner today and passed on a pour of BTAC Weller for 85 a pour. I used to get this for free from bartender friends back when no one in CA drank bourbon so I sure as hell can't drop that kind of money on it regardless of how much I love it.

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

They were Virginia this week for $36. 

Damn and nobody said anything. 

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Damn and nobody said anything. 

If it makes you feel better I found out late, but my store of choice still had two bottles. I called them up Friday and had the manager hold one for me. By the time I stopped by Friday after work there was some sort of mix up and they had sold both bottles (neither to me). 

Va abc gets a bunch of this but it usually doesn't last more than a couple of days when it's released. I'll PM you next time I find out they have some. 

52 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Va abc gets a bunch of this but it usually doesn't last more than a couple of days when it's released. I'll PM you next time I find out they have some. 

Cool, admittedly I don't stay on top of these back room specials the ABC seems to get periodically.  So when news of a secret shipment comes in such as the OWA a couple of months ago from the Brown Hound I appreciate the heads up.

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

Cool, admittedly I don't stay on top of these back room specials the ABC seems to get periodically.  So when news of a secret shipment comes in such as the OWA a couple of months ago from the Brown Hound I appreciate the heads up.

FWIW, I've started haunting the VA ABC website.  They are pretty good - not great - at updating what's being released to their stores.

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, I've started haunting the VA ABC website.  They are pretty good - not great - at updating what's being released to their stores.

This one did actually hit the website. The actually post Elmer T Lee on the website where the whole Weller line is off the website. 

10 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

This one did actually hit the website. The actually post Elmer T Lee on the website where the whole Weller line is off the website. 

They've listed ETL in the bourbon section forever but if you click on it has always said "this product is not currently available in stores or online" for so long I don't even pull it up. But they apparently sneaked it in under cover of darkness like it was Dec. 7 again. :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Harry, do you frequent the DC Costco?  I haven't made it there in a number of months and was wondering if you've encountered anything interesting there.

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

They've listed ETL in the bourbon section forever but if you click on it has always said "this product is not currently available in stores or online" for so long I don't even pull it up. But they apparently sneaked it in under cover of darkness like it was Dec. 7 again. :ph34r:

That's the problem with ETL. They actually post it on the website, but since they do it seeks out very quickly. 

18 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

That's the problem with ETL. They actually post it on the website, but since they do it seeks out very quickly. 

They list ETL along with ORVW 25 on their website as if they are both sitting on the shelf ready for purchase. Weird.

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Harry, do you frequent the DC Costco?  I haven't made it there in a number of months and was wondering if you've encountered anything interesting there.

I have not been to it.  Thanks for reminding me.

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Joe - I also subscribed to their online email notices which I think is under "Virginia Spirits".  Again, they don't post ALL their LEs, but at least some of them get posted - both auction and "in select stores".

Hit up a few small town stores on my 2 hour ride home.. which turned into 3. Passed on everything. Only thing I saw of interest was an overpriced bottle of Blanton's. I was talking with one owner that I was looking for some stuff that was older or hard to find. I mentioned Weller and ETL. He claimed that no one could get Weller around there. I didn't tell him that a store about 2 miles away had WSR. He then proceeded to tell me how he has tried Weller before and it's just not that good but that he has this Old Camp Peach whiskey that's really good and I should try it. Pass.

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Joe - I also subscribed to their online email notices which I think is under "Virginia Spirits".  Again, they don't post ALL their LEs, but at least some of them get posted - both auction and "in select stores".

Thanks Harry. I'm signed up for that one and it is moderately helpful (when they gave the early warning on ECBP and Stagg jr I was able to get a bottle of each). 

8 hours ago, DCFan said:

They list ETL along with ORVW 25 on their website as if they are both sitting on the shelf ready for purchase. Weird.

The difference is that ORVW 25 is obviously a one time limited release that I think VA got 10 bottles of.  I think VA ABC literally gets thousands of ETL bottles every year and they're distributed at select times every year.  

Passed on WP Farmstock. I think it was $79.99. The bottle blend percentages were different than a couple of the online reviews I read. Also passed on a bunch of WSR.

20170725_173724-1008x756.jpg

20170725_174034-1008x756.jpg

20170725_174028-1008x756.jpg

Saw these at two different stores.

I was briefly tempted by the 4R Ltd Editions, both 2014 and 2015 at $250 - before a 15% discount, but couldn't do it. Too much above retail for me to bite. If they had been $150 I may have considered further.

IMG_8814.JPG

IMG_8808.JPG

Edited by silverc

Rediculous.

bought two HH6BIBs the other day, didnt even look what else was on the shelf....didnt care. Paid my $24 and left. Still good deals out there

55 minutes ago, silverc said:

Saw these at two different stores.

I was briefly tempted by the 4R Ltd Editions, both 2014 and 2015 at $250 - before a 15% discount, but couldn't do it. Too much above retail for me to bite. If they had been $150 I may have considered further.

IMG_8814.JPG

IMG_8808.JPG

Those prices are a little hefty, even for the "lower end" stuff.  Local TW here had several 6 bottle cases of BO-Pact3 for under $70 last week.  I see MK almost all the time for at least $30 less than that.  The 4R LEs are a different story.  They are hard to find but those prices would be a hard swallow.  Like you said, at $150 maybe.

Passed on a Wild Turkey Decades at $99 a couple of days ago. Still trying to decide if I should kick myself.......

Still a bunch of AS KC here in Columbia. I pick up abt a fifth a week but focusing on building other stuff right now. 

passed on the only 4 roses Al Young the total wine near me got ($150) but money gets tighter by the end of summer when you work for schools.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.