What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, silverc said:

Saw these at two different stores.

I was briefly tempted by the 4R Ltd Editions, both 2014 and 2015 at $250 - before a 15% discount, but couldn't do it. Too much above retail for me to bite. If they had been $150 I may have considered further.

IMG_8814.JPG

IMG_8808.JPG

Everyone's opinions of various releases are different, and everyone's views on how much they want to spend on whiskey is different. Personally, I'm willing to pay over MSRP for bottles that I know I really like, especially when it is unlikely to be available again in the future. For me personally, I'd pay the $212.50 for an extra bottle of the 15' small batch. That's really good whiskey and the odds of seeing it in a store again are dwindling fast, unless it's at extremely rapey prices. To put it another way, for me the 15 is at least equal to the 2013 in quality, and I certainly don't think I could buy a 13' at that price in a store at this point but certainly would if I could. 

The fact that they have 14/15 priced the same is funny. No comparison between those two in my book. 

9310d4b72c910500801d07861e9f7183.jpg

Passed on RY10 here in NC today. First time I've seen it this year but since the price jumped $16 from last years price and I bunkered several last year I wasn't interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hop said:

Passed on RY10 here in NC today. First time I've seen it this year but since the price jumped $16 from last years price and I bunkered several last year I wasn't interested

That is more Eagle Rare than I've ever seen in one place!

That is more Eagle Rare than I've ever seen in one place!

They stay pretty stocked on the ER. It's around $34

I've seen the new batch of Orphan Barrel stuff in a couple places this week.  I'm not a buyer regardless of the price.  Barterhouse going for $80-90 and Rhetoric 23yr for $140-150.  Passed on the newest Stagg JR today for $60.

4 hours ago, Hop said:

I just wish Virginia would get RY10

4 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I just wish Virginia would get RY10

Have you ever tried the RY NAS that the ABC carries and is it as bad as I think it is?

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

Have you ever tried the RY NAS that the ABC carries and is it as bad as I think it is?

I've never tried it. The RY10 wasn't on my radar until it started getting very good word of mouth. 

7 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I've never tried it. The RY10 wasn't on my radar until it started getting very good word of mouth. 

The RY10 seems to be on everyones fave list along with HH BIB, the Wellers and EC12. I've had the OWA and EC12, both of which were yummy, but no luck on the first two mentioned as our revered Va ABC ( :wacko: ) doesn't carry them. Maybe it's time to visit the 'rents in Florida. I know they won't have the HH BiB but I might luck out and find some ETL and RY10. :) 

I went on the ABC site to see if they carried the 50ml bottle of RY just for s's & grins and they don't.  But I did see they have some single barrel rye on their discontinued list for 1/3 off.  After a quick search on the web I see that it's a 2 yo MGP from Luxco with a so-so review.  Pass (just to make this post appropriate for this thread). 

I passed two new ones yesterday in the U.S. largest retailer: Speckled Tail 80 proof whiskey, and Colville 5 year old 86 proof bourbon.  They both have distilled in KY on the label, but bottled somewhere in FL.  Who knows which distiller made it?  

On 7/27/2017 at 4:13 AM, DCFan said:

It tastes like 80 proof alcohol and just a little sweetness probably left over from the grain.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

It tastes like 80 proof alcohol and just a little sweetness probably left over from the grain.

So that's a big time pass then. ;)

I guess not moving well. There's a lot of them.  I think if that was the price for a 750 I might have bit.

20170728_175746-1008x756.jpg

Edited by Clueby

I guess not moving well. There's a lot of them.  I think if that was the price for a 750 I might have bit.
20170728_175746-1008x756.thumb.jpg.5d8c09ccbec4577dd0657f3d7790f44f.jpg

Having them sit on the shelf next to that big ass 1792 probably doesn't help the size issue much either.

10 minutes ago, Clueby said:

20170728_175746-1008x756.jpg

They are LE bourbons and only come in 375's.

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

I would pay $25 each to try them, but not a penny more!

Kind of reminds me of the WR rye pair from several years ago. Originally, they were packaged as a pair in a nice wooden box for around $90.  Eventually, they cleared them out at around $30 each.

I traveled to Fort Wayne this week and end up passing on a lot that you don't see on the shelf in Indy.  One of the stores that I frequent while in that area has been regularly increasing their prices such that they are now one of the more expensive stores in Indiana.  In the past, their prices what made them a regular stop. Not sure what gives there, but it is disappointing.  They had RY10 for $67.99.  Easy pass.  

I did pass on BH rye for $39.99 at another store.  I wonder if I should have picked that one up.

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Yep..I'm aware of that. My point was that is a bit too much $ for that size bottle. If they offered them in a 750 size at that price I might be a buyer...or if the 375s cost half as much. As for their "LE" status I think it's all just marketing. They seem to be everywhere. Of course there are twice as many bottles since they are half the size.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Yep..I'm aware of that. My point was that is a bit too much $ for that size bottle. If they offered them in a 750 size at that price I might be a buyer...or if the 375s cost half as much. As for their "LE" status I think it's all just marketing. They seem to be everywhere. Of course there are twice as many bottles since they are half the size.

Yeah, I kind of half to agree.

I think STL got a whole truckload of this stuff.

It started in lotteries and hidden behind the counter and now its all over the shelves.

For not much more $money, you can get a 750ml  Russell's Store pick that'll blow this stuff right out of the water.

In full disclosure, I did buy a pair, but mostly because I liked the bottles.:unsure:

Passed on KC 25th for $79.99 - best price I've seen but still not interested after the mediocre reviews. Also passed on the first ETL I've seen on the shelf here. It was a VERY easy pass at $75 and can stay on the shelf at that!

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I traveled to Fort Wayne this week and end up passing on a lot that you don't see on the shelf in Indy.  One of the stores that I frequent while in that area has been regularly increasing their prices such that they are now one of the more expensive stores in Indiana.  In the past, their prices what made them a regular stop. Not sure what gives there, but it is disappointing.  They had RY10 for $67.99.  Easy pass.  

Is RY10 still an easy pass @ $54.99 OTD?   :unsure:

RY10.jpg

12 hours ago, BigRich said:

Having them sit on the shelf next to that big ass 1792 probably doesn't help the size issue much either.

Oh those silly TW guys - always working hard on their marketing skills . . . . . .  ;)

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I did pass on BH rye for $39.99 at another store.  I wonder if I should have picked that one up.

I think you chose wisely on the BH Rye..... I'm a Rye guy but that stuff is an easy pass for me at almost any price

Passed on KC 25th for $79.99 - best price I've seen but still not interested after the mediocre reviews. Also passed on the first ETL I've seen on the shelf here. It was a VERY easy pass at $75 and can stay on the shelf at that!

I think I would have bought that KC 25th at that price. Most of the reviews I've seen have been pretty positive, but it still gets compared to all the stellar 12 and 13 year old PS KCSB bottles available, and therefore it's considered overpriced at the original SRP. However, at half that price, I'm probably a buyer.

I do agree that ETL is a pass at that price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jefferson's Grand Selection Chateau Suduiraut at $135.99 because I was zeroing in on VOB

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.