What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I too passed on several Blood Oath Pact 3 today in NC at $119.99 ea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Hop said:

I too passed on several Blood Oath Pact 3 today in NC at $119.99 ea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe because Luxco is St. Louis based but BOP3 goes for a lot less here. Local TW has had it for $68 for a few weeks now and they are still sitting there.

4 hours ago, Radioyada said:

You have better control of your trigger finger than I would have.  Two bottles of the CEHT BP would have went home with me.

Still looking for those bottles to show up near my area.

Well I didn't want my wife breaking my trigger finger. :D

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Maybe because Luxco is St. Louis based but BOP3 goes for a lot less here. Local TW has had it for $68 for a few weeks now and they are still sitting there.

I think it's that Missouri in general has cheaper prices on most brands. Your liquor taxes must be less there.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I think it's that Missouri in general has cheaper prices on most brands. Your liquor taxes must be less there.

Any state has lower liquor taxes than Washington, right?  I've seen the pricing in WA with tax and I can't recall ever seeing higher pricing anywhere in America.  And Yes - Missouri has relatively low taxes on liquor.

19 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Any state has lower liquor taxes than Washington, right?  I've seen the pricing in WA with tax and I can't recall ever seeing higher pricing anywhere in America.  And Yes - Missouri has relatively low taxes on liquor.

Correct. But even before taxes, Missouri has lower shelf prices than most states. 

By luck found a blantons this morning (bought it). Had to pass on a B517 Elijah craig barrel proof.  Gonna circle back next week and try to grab the ECBP

5 hours ago, flahute said:

Correct. But even before taxes, Missouri has lower shelf prices than most states. 

The only problem is Missouri (mostly the St. Louis area) has a hard time of limited to semi-limited stuff actually hitting those shelves!

$65 Weller 12, I understand that's a somewhat fair price in other places but with some searching you can find it inHouston for less than half that

Passed up the Hillrock Solera. I've seen good reviews but have tried so much over-priced juice the last couple of years like the Blood Oath and Jeffersons Grand Selection that I decided to pass. I suspect I'll try it eventually but I'll pass for now. 

Went into a small LS last night that I had never shopped at before despite the fact that it's not far from where I live.  Looking over their bourbon section, I was a bit surprised at how many relatively hard-to-find selections he had in the small section.  Prices were all over the place, however, with some things priced well and others way out of line, compared to other stores in the area.  The owner saw me studying the bottles and called out to me, asking if there was anything I was looking for that I didn't see out.  Being that I never see ETL on the shelf around here, I asked for that one.  The owner smiled broadly and pulled a bottle out from behind the counter.  I was momentarily excited, but then had the good sense to ask "What do you want for that?"  Then the bad news: "$119.99" was the answer. I thanked him anyway, but settled for a $49 WRDO.  Sigh.

Edited by Swamp55

Wow, that's really sky-high.

I'll never understand how liquor stores in the same area can have such different prices for the same thing.

Edited by BourbonDude

16 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

$65 Weller 12, I understand that's a somewhat fair price in other places but with some searching you can find it inHouston for less than half that

I seem to have zero luck finding it here in Houston. I would have been very tempted. I did find a Weller Antique hiding behind the sweet vermouth at Specs by chance. 

I passed up several Blood Oaths and several Orphan Barrels. Disney World wiped me out.

868306642533ff37f9e2a4e8facdb00e.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I passed up several Blood Oaths and several Orphan Barrels. Disney World wiped me out.

868306642533ff37f9e2a4e8facdb00e.jpg

How much was that ECBP?

Passed on the $59 a shot 10 Yr ORVW at restaurant. (Drank the Blanton's at $14.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Passed on 4 Roses 50th today.  Rang up at $399, called the owner he came down to $299.  Couldn't pull the trigger but it will haunt me.

I seem to have zero luck finding it here in Houston. I would have been very tempted. I did find a Weller Antique hiding behind the sweet vermouth at Specs by chance. 

You need to find stores in somewhat less desirable and less traveled neighborhoods, not necessarily close to main highways, that happen to have decent bourbon selections.

I went to at least 50 stores before I found a couple that fit the profile. All that being said it might be worth buying at $65 vs all the work. I think is $65 is way overpriced for Houston and just by principle I refuse to pay this price.

How much was that ECBP?

I didn't ask.

Passed up the Hillrock Solera. I've seen good reviews but have tried so much over-priced juice the last couple of years like the Blood Oath and Jeffersons Grand Selection that I decided to pass. I suspect I'll try it eventually but I'll pass for now. 

I passed on the Hillrock Solera yesterday, as well as several Whistlepigs.

68d112d579a7145367d8e0f75d51c632.jpg

The ABC in Alabama apparently got a decent amount of KC25th, Blood Oath and Harper15 as they are sitting on the shelves which is rare for "LE" releases. KC25 is 125, Blood Oath is 120 and IWH15 is 90. Passed on all of those. A lot of bottlings that are popping up in the last month or so have yet to make any appearances in AL far as I can tell. 

12 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

You need to find stores in somewhat less desirable and less traveled neighborhoods, not necessarily close to main highways, that happen to have decent bourbon selections.

I went to at least 50 stores before I found a couple that fit the profile. All that being said it might be worth buying at $65 vs all the work. I think is $65 is way overpriced for Houston and just by principle I refuse to pay this price.

That's some solid advice right there. Thank you sir. 

On 8/4/2017 at 7:47 AM, kemosabe said:

Alabama will give Washington a run for its money! Our liquor taxes on a gallon of booze are insane. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.