What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 minutes ago, LongGone said:

Agreed - I've heard reports this morning that there is no ligament or tendon damage there - hope that's the case.

I have a bottle of OWA that I'm nursing along due to its scarcity in these parts but this calls for a shot.

I see there's commentary on the Harper injury here, too.  Sorry for getting off topic on other thread.  I too, will join in toast to the positive diagnosis.  With what else...?

IMG_3831.JPG

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I see there's commentary on the Harper injury here, too.  Sorry for getting off topic on other thread.  I too, will join in toast to the positive diagnosis.  With what else...?

IMG_3831.JPG

I see your IWH 15 and raise you with OWA 107.  Don't pay any attention to the score, we like to spot the other team a lead only to come from behind and break their hearts.:D

IMG_0020.JPG

Yesterday was fortunate to get the Four Roses, AL Young LE Small Batch.  Picked up an Old Forester Pre-Prohibition 1920 for good measure as well.

11 hours ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Russels Reseve Single Barrel @ $23.99. They had one more and may go back for it...

Was this the Single Barrel 110 proof bottle or the 10 year small batch 90 proof bottle?

Just now, Kepler said:

Was this the Single Barrel 110 proof bottle or the 10 year small batch 90 proof bottle?

If the former, that's the deal of the century.

buddy of mine was in CO and LA this summer and did some shopping for me, brought me a CEHTBP, ECBP b517 and an ETL. Pretty excited since these are the first bottles of elmer and EH BP that I've ever brought home.

I saw a lone bottle of OGD 114 sitting on a shelf today for $24.99.   I bought it for the bunker as I don't expect I'll be able to buy it at this price much longer.

brought a couple of Baker's home yesterday to have on hand after finishing the last bottle so quickly.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:20 AM, Clueby said:

I only get there on weekends and the owners are usually not there.  I did ask the employee to talk to them and left my contact info. Also sent an email to them stating that I was disappointed I missed out on W12 and that I'd like to be included in any notification or system they have in place re: allocated bottles.  I also slipped in a list of all the stuff I've purchased there in the last 12 months or so (Old Fitz, 3-ETL, a couple age stated EC12s, at least 4 or 5 Stagg, Jr. and a couple Blanton's just off the top of my head). I was actually purchasing a bottle of Stagg Jr. while discussing with the employee. I guess we will see.  Employee may have gotten W12 and WSR confused but I can't imagine someone driving 2 hours just to pick up a few bottles of WSR.  If it was W12, I hope they are a drinker/collector and not a flipper.

Update to this.  The liquor store owner actually called me.  She "assured" me that she did not sell all of the W12 that she received to one individual over the phone.  She made the comment that "that would be illegal."  ?  Hope I didn't get the counter employee in trouble!! Anyway..we did have a nice chat about allocated bourbons and how she never really knows what she's going to get until she gets it.  Said she doesn't really have any system or list in place and pretty much puts stuff out first come, first served but that she would be happy to let me know of anything unique she gets in.  She was very appreciative of the business I've done in there and was actually aware of a few of my purchases (like the time I bought 3 bottles of ETL).  Hopefully good things will come of it. It's a small town store with relatively new ownership and they are really trying to make it a nice store with good inventory.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:53 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

No purchase, but GeeTen stopped for breakfast on his way home to Boston from Richmond VA and presented me with a nice gift of ETL (hard to find here) and RHF (which I've never had).  I was so grateful I gave him an EC with a red 12YR on the front, a VOB BIB, and some sealed sample-sized decantings of some LEs.  I sure hope he waits until he gets home to try those samples.  They are 5 oz. each but really handy to sip from.:D

So, Thanks, Frank.  The RHF will be open by the second inning of Giants @ Nats today.

It was great starting my epic journey back home from a swim meet in Richmond with breakfast with Harry in WashDC and his SWMBO.  Their hospitality and generosity were only exceeded by the tons of laughs we had.  And it was great to see someone else with a "hitch in his giddy-up" like mine after 2 weeks on solid pool decks!   :D

Here's the line-up of the decantings that Harry made up for me (after sterilizing all the bottles by hand!):  Abraham Bowman Coffee Finish Release 11, 134.6pf; Abraham Bowman High Rye Bourbon Release 12, 100pf; '03 EWSiB Barrel #732 (10yr, 6mo), 86.6pf; '04 EWSiB Barrel #30 (9yr, 8mo), 86.6pf; David Nicholson 1843 (wheated) 100pf;  Hillrock Estate Solera Aged New York bourbon Barrel #44, 92.3pf (from a bottle signed by Dave Pickarell himself at a Magruder's tasting); and  Catoctin Creek Roundstone 100% Rye distilled and bottled in Purcelleville, Va ("just up the road a piece"), 80pf.  I know I got the better end of the deal!!!   ;)

Hope you're still enjoying the RHF, Harry, and many thanks to you and "your better half" for a wonderful morning on the lake!   :wub:

On Vacation the first week of Aug in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, went through a handle of AAA 10 Star mixed with Sprite, and grabbed an ER at the local bait shop/Liquor store/gas station for those cool evenings. Lots of fishing and much needed relaxation... 

Oh, and received an email from my local LS guy while on vacation that he had a CEHTBP and a B517 ECBP waiting for me when I get back!

Picked up a Four Roses Al Young today. Pricing seems high for this one around here but I've heard pretty universal favorable opinions on this release so I won't complain.

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Picked up a Four Roses Al Young today. Pricing seems high for this one around here but I've heard pretty universal favorable opinions on this release so I won't complain.

Very jealous. I think I've missed out on this one, sadly.

BUT I was able to pick up an ECBP batch 12 and a KCSB private selection last night. Not a terrible night.

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Just got word that the Va ABC has 114 bottles at $149.99 that will go in a lottery on 9/6.

Picked up a handle of OC101 today, and an OF Statesman. Was actually just kicking tires when I stopped by a LS in Commerce, about an hour northeast of Dallas. Couldn't resist either. I really like OF, in all varieties. I hadn't seen any OC101 in the wild in over four years, so that was a pleasant surprise!

40 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Just got word that the Va ABC has 114 bottles at $149.99 that will go in a lottery on 9/6.

After tax I paid $189. Harsh but not too far into rapey-gouging territory. 

The sad sad thing is I've recently been seeing above MSRP pricing on LE stuff at a couple places where I've never seen it before. Does not bode well for the fall

Picked up a bottle of Blade & Bow at a small liquor store in Red Hook, NY on the way to Lake Placid.

I recently read up on the history and the challenges relating to this brand and I have to say that they're not going to make a fan of me any time soon if this is typical. 

While not a bad bourbon, at over $65 plus tax, you expect something significantly above par, but this is just average juice. Light to medium body (at most), in fact a bit thin on my palate, and while not devoid of flavor, it's nothing to write home about. At this price point, there should be more intensity and complexity of flavor, and this bourbon just doesn't get there.

Edited by BourbonDude

I picked up a NAS IW Harper for $30 - I quite like IW Harper 15 year and various Orphan Barrel bottlings that are supposedly from the same source, so I was curious to know how the NAS compares.

The NAS is best described as "not objectionable", a smooth, lightish whisky that is perfectly fine. Nothing to get excited about but decent. This has a somewhat similar flavor profile to the older New Bernhiem (I think that's right) stuff but is obviously quite a bit younger, the difference in age is enough to make me unsure if this is from the same sort of mashbill or if it's something else entirely.

Edit: doing a bit more research it looks like this is ~4 years from Heaven Hill with a high rye (73 corn/18 rye/9 barley)mashbill while the IW 15 is a low rye mashbill.

Edited by EarthQuake

14 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Picked up a bottle of Blade & Bow at a small liquor store in Red Hook, NY on the way to Lake Placid.

I recently read up on the history and the challenges relating to this brand and I have to say that they're not going to make a fan of me any time soon if this is typical. 

While not a bad bourbon, at over $65 plus tax, you expect something significantly above par, but this is just average juice. Light to medium body (at most), in fact a bit thin on my palate, and while not devoid of flavor, it's nothing to write home about. At this price point, there should be more intensity and complexity of flavor, and this bourbon just doesn't get there.

yikes, it's around $45 here, and at that price, it's probably slightly more than it's worth, but I find it to be a pretty decent pour.  I have bought another bottle of this (I had a $10 coupon) to replace my first bottle that I finished.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.