What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2017 bragfest!

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up my first bottle of OGD 114.  Going to reward myself with a pour after mowing the lawns...

I picked up another OE7/101 today. This one was under $18. I got my first one a week or two ago and its half gone so I snagged another while on sale. This stuff is really good for the price. Heck, it's really good for twice it's price..just don't tell Luxco that.

20170817_175429-756x1008.jpg

Stopped by my local LS on the way to an eye appointment.  I always peruse the regular aisle, grabbing a bottle most visits, before checking on the stock "under the counter".  Nothing special in stock up front, but I grabbed a SAOS from the aisle.  Never tried it, but you all have given it a pretty good review.  I swore it was $53 on the shelf, but my account took it down to $39 incl tax.  Not sure if i mis-read the price, the computer had the wrong price, or the discount was that good, but <$40 for a pretty highly recommended bottle seems fair to me...

13 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

yikes, it's around $45 here, and at that price, it's probably slightly more than it's worth, but I find it to be a pretty decent pour.  I have bought another bottle of this (I had a $10 coupon) to replace my first bottle that I finished.

Right, if I'd gotten it for that price, I'd have been more inclined to give it a pass, as it's pleasant enough. I tried it again this evening, and liked it better the second time around. But at almost $70 here, you can get Bookers for that, which is pretty stiff competition. 

On a happier note, I also bought a bottle of the Weller 12 yr. Of course this is what expensive bourbon should be like but these days too often isn't. Too much craft crud out there, and I've had more than my share of that. (Sigh, I should know better by now).

Edited by BourbonDude

Grabbed up a bottle of the new Early Times BIB.    The liter sized bottle makes comparison a little less certain; but it seem generously deep in color to my eyebulbs.     That portends good things.... maybe.

I'll open 'er up and tip 'er over Saturday or Sunday, and post about my first impressions.

I'll put my thoughts about Early Times BIB in the "What Bottle Did You Open Today" thread, if anybody wants to read 'em.

Edited by Richnimrod
More detail

20 hours ago, mwmac said:

Picked up my first bottle of OGD 114.  Going to reward myself with a pour after mowing the lawns...

Let us know what you think.  I'm an OGD 114 fan.  Will always have a couple of bottles around.

IMG_20170816_213944.thumb.jpg.4c7864cd4f8d40d6eee609e3b9a4e7e5.jpg

Finally caved in. All bottles on the shelf had different abv for some reason, randomly picked a 131.7 proofer.

That's tNice.

Doesn't BiB means it has to be at least 100 proof? Don't think I've ever had an Early Times at that proof level.

That's about the only JD I haven't tried. I'll be interested in what you think. 

Edited by BourbonDude

34 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

That's about the only JD I haven't tried. I'll be interested in what you think. 

I hate to admit it but I didn't feel very proud or confident walking up to the counter with a JD, especially after chatting with the store owner for 30mins on the nuances of fine spirits and trying enough samples of their FR store picks to get me near drunk on the way back :) Call me a snob, it's difficult to break habit! But I trust the senior SB members who give their high recommendations, and I did try an amazing SB last week that really changed my view on JD.

39 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

Doesn't BiB means it has to be at least 100 proof? Don't think I've ever had an Early Times at that proof level.

Bottled in Bond 's are ALWAYS EXACTLY 100-Proof.     It's part of the BIB Law.    Except for a brief unsuccessful re-entry into the realm of Straight Bourbons, ET was not even Bourbon for a very long time; it was American Whiskey; but not Bourbon, because some of each batch spent some time in used barrels, which Bourbon may not do, and still be labeled Bourbon.    

I bought my first bottle of WT Kentucky Spirit; never tried it before.  I got it on such a good sale.  I think I paid less than $30.  I gather from reading here it's the same as WT 101, but single barrel and 8 years old (has no age on label).  I've enjoyed my last couple WT 101s.  I look forward to trying the KS this week-end.

5 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Let us know what you think.  I'm an OGD 114 fan.  Will always have a couple of bottles around.

Had a couple of pours last night and I must say I was pleasantly surprised as this was my first tasting of a high rye mashbill bourbon.  Nose was very pleasant with some citrus notes joining with caramel and bread.  Taste was a lot of sweet heat with lingering spice.  Very nice finish that left me looking forward to the next sip.  Overall, I understand why it has a following especially given its price.

Finally caved in. All bottles on the shelf had different abv for some reason, randomly picked a 131.7 proofer.

The JDSBBP is probably the best product to come out of JD in a while. Obviously being a SB, there are going to be some differences, but most people that have tried this like it. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

I picked up another OE7/101 today. This one was under $18. I got my first one a week or two ago and its half gone so I snagged another while on sale. This stuff is really good for the price. Heck, it's really good for twice it's price..just don't tell Luxco that.

20170817_175429-756x1008.jpg

Hadn't bought one of these in a while (not since they changed the label), but agree - 7 yr, 101 straight bourbon for under $20 is hard to beat!  I liked my last bottle as much as WT101 (any given day, preferred one over the other).

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Bottled in Bond 's are ALWAYS EXACTLY 100-Proof.     It's part of the BIB Law.    Except for a brief unsuccessful re-entry into the realm of Straight Bourbons, ET was not even Bourbon for a very long time; it was American Whiskey; but not Bourbon, because some of each batch spent some time in used barrels, which Bourbon may not do, and still be labeled Bourbon.    

Actually enjoying some that unsuccessful ET bourbon this evening...

Just had to hug my youngest (my son) and leave him at school for the start of his freshman year. Six hours from home and kinda rough for the wife and I to handle. So an 80 proof bourbon is a good way to take the edge off... Heck, I can drink this whole bottle and not have a headache in the morning!

WP_20170818_005.jpg

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Thanks, I also wondered about the lack of the bourbon label.

6 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

picked up a 12yr Peg Leg Porker, BT and Eagle Rare barrel pick from B&B in Kingsport today.   

Nice. 

And congrats on your hundredth post and making advanced taster. I also reached 100 earlier today.

Edited by BourbonDude

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

I bought my first bottle of WT Kentucky Spirit; never tried it before.  I got it on such a good sale.  I think I paid less than $30.  I gather from reading here it's the same as WT 101, but single barrel and 8 years old (has no age on label).  I've enjoyed my last couple WT 101s.  I look forward to trying the KS this week-end.

Hey, that's a great price, congrats. I usually pay a lot more. I like the KS quite a bit.

Picked up these today, sorry The Abyss isn't a bourbon, but aged in barrels.

The KCSB is a pick from NASA liqour, Barrel 1911. Was surprised they still had some of this. It was very highly rated by the whiskey jug the highest by a good amount of several barrrels he tried.

507aba44a023ee6048d8136a22a74f5c.jpg

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

Great price.  I have occasionally found one for $29.99 but it is normally in the mid to upper $40s.  I like it better than WT 101.

10 hours ago, Kane said:

In my humble opinion, you're in for a real treat.  Nobody ever believes this is JD when I pour it blind for them.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

In my humble opinion, you're in for a real treat.  Nobody ever believes this is JD when I pour it blind for them.

I have one of these in the bunker that I bought about a year ago but never have opened it.  You're making me think ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.