What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of OGDBIB and RB112 yesterday and opened them last night for a pour of each.

For some odd reason, I haven't had a FR open for months. Took care of that tonight with a 2012 PS OBSV that's absolutely delicious.

BTW, it came from a place in E. Dubuque, IL that has one of my favorite liquor store names....Family Beer & Liquor. What're they implying? "C'mon Ma, we're going to Family Liquor, bring the kids. They've got booze for all of us!" (yes, it's quite possible I've had a bit too much of this FR and am the only person who finds the name amusing)

29 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

For some odd reason, I haven't had a FR open for months. Took care of that tonight with a 2012 PS OBSV that's absolutely delicious.

BTW, it came from a place in E. Dubuque, IL that has one of my favorite liquor store names....Family Beer & Liquor. What're they implying? "C'mon Ma, we're going to Family Liquor, bring the kids. They've got booze for all of us!" (yes, it's quite possible I've had a bit too much of this FR and am the only person who finds the name amusing)

No,  that's hilarious.

Is that bottling still on the shelf?  I'm looking for an OBSV.

17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Is that bottling still on the shelf?  I'm looking for an OBSV.

I'm sure it's loooong gone as it was over 4yrs ago when I bought mine. However, I don't know if they've got any other FR private selections done more recently. 

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

This place has the ability to bring new meaning to the 'family' size bottles.

3 minutes ago, mwmac said:

And how was it?

It was very good. It was very warm up front and then it mellows out and is really smooth, complex and well balanced. Its my first Small Batch LE expression I have tasted so far, but i wish i could have an extra bottle of it. it will certainly be hard not to keep reaching for it.

I opened a couple of OWA's last night. One old bottle and one new one. I'll probably do a sbs at some point. But then there's also the possibility that I might throw together another one of my Weller vattings. I have a couple of bottles of Weller SR waiting in the wings, and I also have an 08 WLW in my cabinet that keeps trying to get out. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I opened a couple of OWA's last night. One old bottle and one new one. I'll probably do a sbs at some point. But then there's also the possibility that I might throw together another one of my Weller vattings. I have a couple of bottles of Weller SR waiting in the wings, and I also have an 08 WLW in my cabinet that keeps trying to get out. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Funny you mention the possible opening of the 08 WLW.  I am two pours from joining the empty bottle support group with my 08 WLW.  It has been an amazing journey!

Opened up a batch 7 that I purchased a few weeks ago.  Great flavor, but I forgot how much heat this bottle has when it's first opened.  

IMG_6369.JPG

Basil Hayden rye and Weller 12 yr. The BH was disappointing but the Weller of course was very nice.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:36 PM, Vosgar said:

Ha-ha! That IS pretty funny.

Reminds me of another funny sign on a Chinese restaurant in the town of Millbrae, CA, south of San Francisco. The place was there back in the 80s for many years. It was right on El Camino on the main drag. The sign said "Chef's Wang" instead of "Chef Wang's."

I heard the story was the Chinese gentlemen who owned the place had the neon sign done by another Chinese friend, who was a sign maker. It remained that way for the entire time the place was in business, at least 10 or 15 years.

Edited by BourbonDude

1 hour ago, BourbonDude said:

Reminds me of another funny sign on a Chinese restaurant in the town of Millbrae, CA, south of San Francisco. The place was there back in the 80s for many years. It was right on El Camino on the main drag. The sign said "Chef's Wang" instead of "Chef Wang's."

Huh?  I don't get it . . . . . . .  J/K.  :lol:

OK.    Here's the promised impressions of the new Early Times BIB Bourbon. 

Bonus: I actually did a SBSBS with a couple other relatively new entrants into the BIB category: Jim Beam BIB & Old Bardstown BIB (their own juice).

After being favorably impressed by my initial small pour of the ET BIB, I decided upon the three-way.    I'll condense my notes to say just these (few?) words....

The ET BIB won in a walk!    It was thick and rich and balanced in all elements expected in a solid pour of medium-proof Bourbon, with the expected 'shellac' note (some call it acetone, I think) found in so much BF stuff moderated nicely by all other elements.    The JB BIB came in second based upon it filling in the blanks expected by the general profile of JB offerings, and because it had the longest most nicely developing finish.    The OB BIB was easily the lightest, and the sweetest of the three.    It was, however, to my taste buddies, and old factory the least complex, and had the shortest finish, though it was clean and sweet all the way to the end.   It did drink seemingly milder than either of the other two.    If I'd tasted 'em totally blind I'd have guessed it no more than 90-proof.     If I were to make a prediction, which I apparently am about to do; I'd say the Early Times BIB would be a good match for VOB BIB (the old 6-year), or even Heaven Hill BIB 6-yr.     I'll have to do a SBSBS with those at some point, I guess... just for the sake of science and certainty, mind you.    Don't want to leave any stone unturned.

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

Hotel room crack!

Picked this up while on the road.

20170818_235446.jpeg

I hope it didn't burn a hole through the cup :)

Rebel Yell 10 yr. A decent bourbon with some flavor and character despite being fairly light and delicate on the palate. 

12 hours ago, Bbstout said:

IMG_20170819_212859.jpg

That's a great bottle David. You still finding those up your way?

Cheers! Joe

JB BIB last night to make some bourbon sours with.  My BIB stash is getting low, gonna have to start shopping again.

3 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Cracked open this today while watching some Falcons preseason football. 

IMG_3753.JPG

Good pour.  I'm still on baseball mentality, but starting to sniff some pigskin in the air! I generally go college FB more than NFL early, though.  Which brings me to...that's a great looking GT decanter back there!  

Buffalo Trace here, while listening to Braves salvage the finale against the Reds on the radio.  

8 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Good pour.  I'm still on baseball mentality, but starting to sniff some pigskin in the air! I generally go college FB more than NFL early, though.  Which brings me to...that's a great looking GT decanter back there!  

Buffalo Trace here, while listening to Braves salvage the finale against the Reds on the radio.  

I am a college FB fan myself.  Just received my season tickets to the Jackets on Friday, and cannot wait for their first game in the new Dome here in Atlanta.  Have some batch 8 Stagg Jr. cooling down in the decanter.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:54 PM, Richnimrod said:

OK.    Here's the promised impressions of the new Early Times BIB Bourbon. 

Bonus: I actually did a SBSBS with a couple other relatively new entrants into the BIB category: Jim Beam BIB & Old Bardstown BIB (their own juice).

After being favorably impressed by my initial small pour of the ET BIB, I decided upon the three-way.    I'll condense my notes to say just these (few?) words....

The ET BIB won in a walk!    It was thick and rich and balanced in all elements expected in a solid pour of medium-proof Bourbon, with the expected 'shellac' note (some call it acetone, I think) found in so much BF stuff moderated nicely by all other elements.    The JB BIB came in second based upon it filling in the blanks expected by the general profile of JB offerings, and because it had the longest most nicely developing finish.    The OB BIB was easily the lightest, and the sweetest of the three.    It was, however, to my taste buddies, and old factory the least complex, and had the shortest finish, though it was clean and sweet all the way to the end.   It did drink seemingly milder than either of the other two.    If I'd tasted 'em totally blind I'd have guessed it no more than 90-proof.     If I were to make a prediction, which I apparently am about to do; I'd say the Early Times BIB would be a good match for VOB BIB (the old 6-year), or even Heaven Hill BIB 6-yr.     I'll have to do a SBSBS with those at some point, I guess... just for the sake of science and certainty, mind you.    Don't want to leave any stone unturned.

Thanks Rich. I haven't seen it up here yet, but my cousin in Lexington texted me yesterday to let me know he had picked one up for me. It was $25 so it will indeed be interesting to compare to HH6 bib @ $12.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.