What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just cracked open a 4R PS OESK.  Very flavorful and smooth with a bit of a bite on the finish.  tastes great - I think this is my favorite recipe.  Its only 8 years old, but its damn fine.

Opened this with some friends last night.

Honestly don't remember much about it, except that it wasn't as bad as we expected.

Rumored to be about 5 yrs. Old by the person who brought it back from VT.

Label only states "bottled by", so probably sourced.

Didn't look much further into it that that.

IMAG2293.jpg

On 8/20/2017 at 10:32 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

That's a great bottle David. You still finding those up your way?

Cheers! Joe

Unfortunately dried up around 4-5 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

Opened this bottle of sweet nectar while on vacation.

IMG_8823.JPG

Very nice.  Always nice to have a good bottle along while on vacay.  Where did you go?

South of France, near Marseille. I brought two with. A bourbon obviously and a rye, a 2016 Michter's barrel strength, wich was great too. 

Great family time at the beach, some good drams, can't complaining ;-)

Now I'm back, poured some SAOS 8 yo single barrel, let's call it a day. 

Cheers!

Will. 

Edited by Masset1982

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Very nice.  Always nice to have a good bottle along while on vacay.  Where did you go?

1 minute ago, Masset1982 said:

South of France, near Marseille. I brought two with. A bourbon obviously and a rye, a 2016 Michter's barrel strength, wich was great too. 

Great family time at the beach, some good drams, can't complaining ;-)

Now I'm back, poured some SAOS 8 yo single barrel, let's call it a day. 

Cheers!

Will. 

Sorry, tired! 

A family size bottle of FRYL, just because I think it pairs well with most cigars (in this case, an HC Maduro2). Never over powers the cigar yet still has enough flavor to be very enjoyable. Plus, not that it makes any difference, I'm always amazed at how great the legs are for an 80 proof whiskey

I opened a handle of Larceny.
f6612cd260bfd708752c33dd107384ac.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Rearranging my shelf made some extra space today, so I found 2 new bottles that fit.

:)

IMAG2326.jpg

IMAG2327_1.jpg

Gotta love when you find extra shelf space!

Opened this one tonight and it is flavorful and extremely smooth for the proof.  Purchased a couple of these store picks a couple of weeks ago, but was waiting till I cleared some shelf space myself.

IMG_6450.JPG

Edited by NDN98

Just opened a bottle of HMK BIB, and noticed that it was barreled in 2003, on April Fool's Day, which happens to be my birth date (albeit, a number of years prior to 2003).

Pat

Just cracked a KCSB store select from McScrooge's in Knoxville, TN (barrel 4695). I am really looking forward to doing absolutely nothing this weekend except watching football and sipping on some fine bourbon.

1 hour ago, silverc said:

Just cracked a KCSB store select from McScrooge's in Knoxville, TN (barrel 4695). I am really looking forward to doing absolutely nothing this weekend except watching football and sipping on some fine bourbon.

I cracked open a 1792 FP tonight (my first ever 1792 bourbon), WOW! I'm impressed! McScrooge's has a 1792 FP store select that I tried this morning and it's also incredible. I'm going to have to give the small batch a try. They also have a Barrell Bourbon store select that is phenomenal!

7 hours ago, spectre said:

I cracked open a 1792 FP tonight (my first ever 1792 bourbon), WOW! I'm impressed! McScrooge's has a 1792 FP store select that I tried this morning and it's also incredible. I'm going to have to give the small batch a try. They also have a Barrell Bourbon store select that is phenomenal!

McScrooge's in Knoxville has some really nice store picks - was at UT officiating for the SEC Swimming Championships last February!  Had to ask the brother of a friend to pick up another bottle of 8yr Old Forge TN Bourbon Cask Strength for me - going to be delivered next month when he comes up for a wedding.

Old Forge 8yr Cask Strength.JPG

Luckily, there was still some left when he went back for more in March.  Mine didn't last too long!  :(

Old Forge Bourbon (Dead).jpg

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling and pics added

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

McScrooge's in Knoxville has some really nice store picks - was at UT officiating for the SEC Swimming Championships last February!  Had to ask the brother of a friend to pick up another bottle of 8yr Old Forge TN Bourbon Cask Strength for me - going to be delivered next month when he comes up for a wedding.

Old Forge 8yr Cask Strength.JPG

Luckily, there was still some left when he went back for more in March.  Mine didn't last too long!  :(

Old Forge Bourbon (Dead).jpg

I did the same thing.... I'm not local but bought one of the Old Forge cask strength bottles last year for around $65 and really liked it. The specs on it and flavor profile are quite similar to Barrell Bourbon batch 008. In June I was back in Knoxville again and saw they still had some left and were only $50, so I got 3 more.

I went to the Old Forge Distillery hoping to find any more cask strength bottlings. They did have a 10 year version, but it was not cask strength (89 proof). The McScrooge's store selects have been quite nice. They used to have plenty of 4R PS and SAOS single barrels, but those are largely gone now.

My brother and I cracked an Old Forester 100 and an EH Taylor SB. The OF100 is still a nice pour especially for what it cost. I wouldnt buy the EHTSB again most likely. The extra $25 over the Small Batch isnt worth it imo. This OF100 is making me Really wanna get a couple of Birthday Bourbons this year. Havent gotten any in two or three years and the price is gonna keep going up. My brother and I have always loved that stuff. Supposedly two bottlings this year so maybe more to go round. Cheers

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

It's a holiday.

No time like the present.

IMAG2335_1.jpg

I get really pizzed off every time I see a new label 12. Not at my bourbon friends out there BUT OUR LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR! Every other city in TN was given the 12 but for some stupid reason they decided to sit on it in the warehouse instead of putting it in the stores.

Ok I feel better????

TG I've got some 2016 to sip a pour from.

3 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I get really pizzed off every time I see a new label 12. Not at my bourbon friends out there BUT OUR LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR! Every other city in TN was given the 12 but for some stupid reason they decided to sit on it in the warehouse instead of putting it in the stores.

Ok I feel better????

TG I've got some 2016 to sip a pour from.

Oh, it doesn't even hit shelves around here really.  We don't get much at all, and most stores do a raffle for it or sell it at black market pricing.

This bottle was just complete luck.

Im sure our distributor held some back for this fall/Christmas season, waiting to see how much pappy/btac they get.

Edited by 0895

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.