What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

CEHT SmB, smooth and damn near elegant. If it weren't for the price and sometimes scarcity, it would be a good bottle for beginners to learn appreciation for fine spirits.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:09 PM, FacePlant said:

I get really pizzed off every time I see a new label 12. Not at my bourbon friends out there BUT OUR LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR! Every other city in TN was given the 12 but for some stupid reason they decided to sit on it in the warehouse instead of putting it in the stores.

Ok I feel better????

TG I've got some 2016 to sip a pour from.

New label, old label - only time I've seen W12 is in a picture on the internet.

Just opened a bottle of Elijah Craig "Hand Grenade" that I picked up at the Heaven Hill visitors center, figured, I might as well crack open a bourbon tonight to celebrate my belated birthday (I opened my last Parker's Heritage POH around my birthday).  Very rich mouthfeel, and smooth sipping for 125 proof.  I added a small splash of water, and there is virtually no burn.  It reminds me of an older version of the Heaven Hill 6 year BIB.  Really nice sipper, and I'd buy a 750 ml if they released it.  I guess another way to compare it would be a barrel proof of EWSB.

IMG_1085.JPG

11 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Sorry for the blurry photo!  But you get the point!  It's pretty good stuff.

I'm rarely impressed by packaging, but that bottle design is awesome!

This is my first purchase of the John J. Bowman Single Barrel.  As of the first pour...I like it!  I believe that I will spend this evening examining it in more detail!

Bowman.jpg

This one came up a couple times recently and I just happened to have a bottle handy, honestly it's not all that bad I like it better than OF 86 proof (currently doing the required scientific analysis).

IMG_20170906_203904099.jpg

Ace Sprits in Minneapolis selected a single barrel of Knob Creek 25th Anniversary, and I had to get a bottle.  Really great depth of flavor with this bottling, caramel, vanilla, and orange peel.  It does well with a splash of water.

IMG_1093.JPG

2 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Ace Sprits in Minneapolis selected a single barrel of Knob Creek 25th Anniversary, and I had to get a bottle.  Really great depth of flavor with this bottling, caramel, vanilla, and orange peel.  It does well with a splash of water.

That's the first I've heard of a private selection of KC25

On 9/6/2017 at 5:21 PM, Swamp55 said:

This is my first purchase of the John J. Bowman Single Barrel.  As of the first pour...I like it!  I believe that I will spend this evening examining it in more detail!

Bowman.jpg

I have recently became a fan of this bourbon too.  One of my favorite pours right now.

15 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

If the liquor store shelves in my area are any indication they probably had plenty left over and available!

• I like it 1

Opened this one tonight to go with some college football.  Took a chance on it because it was recommended by a store owner who I trust.  Definitely has that Buffalo Trace Mashbill #2 flavor profile, but is unique in its own right and not just a copy of ETL, Blanton's, or Rock Hill Farms.

IMG_6558.JPG

• I like it 1

Opened up a RHF from the bunker to Celebrate a big victory for my OU Sooners. Not gloating just really proud of the team. Boomer!

Cheers! 

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

14 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Opened this one tonight to go with some college football.  Took a chance on it because it was recommended by a store owner who I trust.  Definitely has that Buffalo Trace Mashbill #2 flavor profile, but is unique in its own right and not just a copy of ETL, Blanton's, or Rock Hill Farms.

IMG_6558.JPG

I like mash bill 2 stuff, how does this rate w/ blanton and elmer?

5 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I like mash bill 2 stuff, how does this rate w/ blanton and elmer?

I too like all the mash bill #2 stuff.  It is lower proof than Blanton's or Elmer, but the flavors are not as muted as I would have thought.  It is a little fruitier than I anticipated with a hint of vanilla, but not in a bad way.  It is hard for me to pick a favorite between ETL, Rock Hill Farms, and Blanton's, but after only a small sample (3 drinks last night), I would rank it as comparable to each of those 3 and probably ahead of the Elmer (which I still like, but is my least favorite of those bourbons).

On September 8, 2017 at 1:40 AM, JoeTerp said:

I believe only 9 liquor stores received a selection. Looks like Ace got one because of their internet sales presence.

I opened all three of these today and did a blind side-by-side-by-side. My daughter poured them for me. I correctly identified all 3.  The green label 90 proof was slightly darker in the glass and was my favorite of the three. The BIB had a noticeably higher burn to it and a thinner mouthfeel with a hint of peanut. The BIB and 90 were close but the smoother, thicker feel and absence of peanut in the 90 edged it higher for me. The gold label 80 proof wasn't in the same ballpark as the others. Poured lights in color and had a harsh, peanut nose. The taste was very rough with a bitter finish.

A - BIB, B - 90, C - 80

I mixed the last bits of all 3 together and that might be better than any of the individual parts.

20170915_202828-1008x336.jpg

20170915_195649-1008x756.jpg

Edited by Clueby

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

I opened all three of these today and did a blind side-by-side-by-side. My daughter poured them for me. I correctly identified all 3.  The green label 90 proof was slightly darker in the glass and was my favorite of the three. The BIB had a noticeably higher burn to it and a thinner mouthfeel with a hint of peanut. The BIB and 90 were close but the smoother, thicker feel and absence of peanut in the 90 edged it higher for me. The gold label 80 proof wasn't in the same ballpark as the others. Poured lights in color and had a harsh, peanut nose. The taste was very rough with a bitter finish.

A - BIB, B - 90, C - 80

I mixed the last bits of all 3 together and that might be better than any of the individual parts.

20170915_202828-1008x336.jpg

20170915_195649-1008x756.jpg

That looks like a fun little tasting.

I completely agree with you on the green and the BiB.

Never tried the gold.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.