What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2 in Rhode Island - $74.99, ECNAS $32.99 OTD!  The High West is just sittin' on the shelf, I didn't have to beg for it!   :wub:

• I like it 2

42 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2 in Rhode Island - $74.99, ECNAS $32.99 OTD!  The High West is just sittin' on the shelf, I didn't have to beg for it!   :wub:

Reading my mind.  A local store sent out an email this AM saying it had HWMWND 5/2 coming in AND that basic BT, some ETL, and Baby Saz had arrived.  I jumped at the MWND and Baby but passed on the ETL (in a rye mood, I guess) as I have some ETL on the shelf (thanks, Frank) and have plenty of basic BT bunkered.  Unfortunately, their Saz/BT delivery did not include any RHF.  BTW, they had handles of WSR with no price on them.  Given the markups I've seen lately, I didn't even ask.

SBers wanting the store name, PM me.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, graftonbc1 said:

Lucked onto a bottle of Stagg by stopping in a store to pick up a bottle of Bird Dog BlackBerry for my wife.  My fall hunting is now complete. 

Heehee!  You must be livin' right, and the Bourbon Gods are looking kindly on you.  Usually, if one goes looking for and buys something like a Bird Dog BlackBerry, the Gods curse him with a 7 year LE drought.  :D  

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

FedEx brought me a box of goodies today

"Atta boy Luther!" :D

Cheers! Joe

33 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee!  You must be livin' right, and the Bourbon Gods are looking kindly on you.  Usually, if one goes looking for and buys something like a Bird Dog BlackBerry, the Gods curse him with a 7 year LE drought.  :D  

I hear you Joe. I stopped into a liquor store I had never been in to get the Bird Dog, and just asked if they had any limited editions. The guy pulls out a bottle of Boss Dog, then an Old Rip van Winkle, neither of which I was interested in. When he pulled out the Stagg, I couldn’t resist. Ironically, I didn’t get the Bird Dog because it was too expensive. 

I saw a stagg jr batch 6 just sitting alone on the shelf so I decided to give it a good home.  Been a good while since I picked up a stagg jr.  Won't make that mistake again, this is really good.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, graftonbc1 said:

...Ironically, I didn’t get the Bird Dog because it was too expensive. 

AHA!  There it is!  The BG's were happy with you, so they rewarded you.  This is easy peasy stuff when you figure it out!  :lol:

• I like it 1

Newest batch of Stagg jr showed up at total wine today so I grabbed one, 38.99. Whish they'd let me buy more than one.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Pjcowboy said:

Grabbed 2L OWA($26.59) and the latest Stagg Jr. 131.9($41.97). BT has stepped up production this year as it seems more of everything is available this year.  

Oh boy oh boy, batch 9 in the wild?

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

I hear you Joe. I stopped into a liquor store I had never been in to get the Bird Dog, and just asked if they had any limited editions. The guy pulls out a bottle of Boss Dog, then an Old Rip van Winkle, neither of which I was interested in. When he pulled out the Stagg, I couldn’t resist. Ironically, I didn’t get the Bird Dog because it was too expensive. 

Should I put this on the secondary?

20171117_182837-1209x1612.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked up a store pick of Old Forester to try.  The CEHT will be something new to me.  The ETBIB is in steady rotation.

Bourbon.jpg

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Should I put this on the secondary?

20171117_182837-1209x1612.jpg

Well, they were trying to gouge me for 19.99 today. If yours has an age statement, it could fetch 25 or so. 

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Picked up a store pick of Old Forester to try.  The CEHT will be something new to me.  The ETBIB is in steady rotation.

Bourbon.jpg

Haven't seen any ETBIB yet. I did see a bunch of 354 yesterday.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Reading my mind.  A local store sent out an email this AM saying it had HWMWND 5/2 coming in AND that basic BT, some ETL, and Baby Saz had arrived.  I jumped at the MWND and Baby but passed on the ETL (in a rye mood, I guess) as I have some ETL on the shelf (thanks, Frank) and have plenty of basic BT bunkered.  Unfortunately, their Saz/BT delivery did not include any RHF.  BTW, they had handles of WSR with no price on them.  Given the markups I've seen lately, I didn't even ask.

SBers wanting the store name, PM me.

Mid winters 5/2 was 109 in South Carolina. 

If y’all want weller special reserve, come to georgia. I’m here visiting in laws and there is enough WSR to float a boat. $16.99/5th too. 

• I like it 1

What did I purchase??? Nothin! Walked in to my#2 liquor store and the manager saw me walk in and said, "Nothing new this week, We got some Stagg, Weller, Weller 12, and ETL, but the new guy didn't know where to put it so he left it on the counter and some guy came in called his buddy and they bought it all! It was like $1700, ha,ha,ha..." I wasn't laughing with him... I mumbled something about the thousands I've spent there in weekly purchases and turned around and walked out... still feel pretty fortunate my #1 LS came through for me big time this year, but that was still some pretty sad news...

Lots of people having great days out there so I'll add to it. Got the message today that there was a Stagg waiting for me at my favorite local. Stopped in after work to pick it up and snagged another Owl rye while I was at it.

• I like it 2

Went looking for any of the listed top whiskies today, found a ECBP B517 in the wild for $70.  Not my favorite, but could not pass it up.

10 hours ago, JTaylor said:

What did I purchase??? Nothin! Walked in to my#2 liquor store and the manager saw me walk in and said, "Nothing new this week, We got some Stagg, Weller, Weller 12, and ETL, but the new guy didn't know where to put it so he left it on the counter and some guy came in called his buddy and they bought it all! It was like $1700, ha,ha,ha..." I wasn't laughing with him... I mumbled something about the thousands I've spent there in weekly purchases and turned around and walked out... still feel pretty fortunate my #1 LS came through for me big time this year, but that was still some pretty sad news...

They must have had some terrible pricing on this stuff unless there was several each of the Stagg and WLW, if the total was really $1700. If they were charging several hundred per you might have gotten lucky as to not have been tempted to pay ridiculous prices...... looking for positives here but generally that sucks and I can't see what benefit that manager perceived there was in even telling you that story really

• I like it 1

I bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad BiB. It was $1 less than a bottle of WT101, so I decided to try something a little different.

Last night, I did an unscientific, side-by-side comparison. I tasted the WT101 first, getting the familiar WT caramel "sweet" bourbon flavor. Then the OGD. It was much drier and comparatively tasteless. I suppose that is the way it should be, but among these two, I will stick to WT101 as my everyday pour in the future.

Oh, for a bottle of the standard Knob Creek 9-year old from about 15 years ago.

Tim

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

They must have had some terrible pricing on this stuff unless there was several each of the Stagg and WLW, if the total was really $1700. If they were charging several hundred per you might have gotten lucky as to not have been tempted to pay ridiculous prices...... looking for positives here but generally that sucks and I can't see what benefit that manager perceived there was in even telling you that story really

IDK, they're usually right at state minimum price, and several times he's put aside some harder to get stuff like ETL or ECBP specifically waiting for me to come in... I buy a lot from him including other liquors so I had high hopes that if they got some LEs I'd have a shot at it, it kinda felt like a kick in the stomach. But like I said, my other guy got me a lot of LEs this year so I can't complain. Just need to throw my money at the guy that's actually hooking me up.

14 hours ago, dcbt said:

Picked up a trio today: ER10, Blantons, and Bowman SiB.

3 of my favorites.  Seems like word is out on the John J. Bowman SiB and it is getting harder to find in the DFW area.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.