What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A very lucky weekend 3 new bottles I have never found. In addition to GTS and ORVW also got a 2017 FRSmBLE. Super happy about it. Had the opportunity to pick from Lot B and Rip as well as GTS WLW and THH. Happy with my choice. 

2123AD85-BA80-4159-87E6-2942CAB5EE17.jpeg

• I like it 2

Actually purchased these a couple of weekends ago while on a quick trip to Chesapeake VA.   I walked into a VABC store nearby wanting to pick up a few bottles not available in NC. I was astonished to find a lone bottle of Sazerac 18 sitting on the top shelf in the bourbon section and priced at $80.   Naturally, I quickly grabbed it and proceeded to the checkout. After walking to the car my wife and daughter said I looked giddy and they were indeed correct.   S18 is the only BTAC item I have never been able to procure must less find on a shelf at MSRP.   Not sure how it got there as all BTAC items are sold exclusively through the online VABC lottery.   My guess is either it was misshipped or the lottery winner failed to pick it up, either way it was my lucky day.   Sunday, I decided to hit a store in Virginia Beach and picked up a few more bottles not available in NC: Joseph Magnus, SA Contradiction, Old Rippy and Bond & Lillard.   I just finished a SA Contradiction so this bottle replaces it.   Hope I don't regret buying the JM, OR and B&L.   When my daughter visits us for Thanksgiving we will open all 3 and decide.   

image.jpeg

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, $helby said:

Actually purchased these a couple of weekends ago while on a quick trip to Chesapeake VA.   I walked into a VABC store nearby wanting to pick up a few bottles not available in NC. I was astonished to find a lone bottle of Sazerac 18 sitting on the top shelf in the bourbon section and priced at $80.   Naturally, I quickly grabbed it and proceeded to the checkout. After walking to the car my wife and daughter said I looked giddy and they were indeed correct.   S18 is the only BTAC item I have never been able to procure must less find on a shelf at MSRP.   Not sure how it got there as all BTAC items are sold exclusively through the online VABC lottery.   My guess is either it was misshipped or the lottery winner failed to pick it up, either way it was my lucky day. 

Congrats on picking up the Saz. I went back and checked the lottery offerings thru August and there were no drawings for any BTAC products. You must have stumbled across a limited distribution to select stores just as I did with OWA earlier this year (and Isaac Bowman port finish now). And getting it at close to MSRP, controlled states do have their benefits sometimes.

23 hours ago, NDN98 said:

3 of my favorites.  Seems like word is out on the John J. Bowman SiB and it is getting harder to find in the DFW area.

Yea, it is definitely becoming harder to find.  Ironically I drink it in place of other BT#2s that are harder to find like Blantons and ETL, but Blantons is almost easier to track down now than JBB.

46 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Congrats on picking up the Saz. I went back and checked the lottery offerings thru August and there were no drawings for any BTAC products. You must have stumbled across a limited distribution to select stores just as I did with OWA earlier this year (and Isaac Bowman port finish now). And getting it at close to MSRP, controlled states do have their benefits sometimes.

BTAC isn't on lottery yet as apparently there are "lists" from pre-2015.  VA ABC intends to work there way through these "lists" and I use quotes because I very much doubt the validity when I hear stories like this or of people picking up two bottles of Stagg.  It's likely to be years before BTAC finds it's way into lottery.

16 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thoughts on the Entrapment?  Anything over 8 years  (except for HMcK 10 Yr depending on the barrel and, of course, Saz18) is OFF my purchase list.  But, there are exceptions, . . .

Harry, 

not sure if you listen to podcasts but one of the guys on bourbon pursuit tried it and roundly rejected it. Said it had no oak at all and was like watered down crown. Fwiw. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I ran into a shelf of 2005 today and didn't pull the trigger. . Was 2004 the last good year?

I’m enjoying the 05 evan single I’m working on right now. 

29 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

BTAC isn't on lottery yet as apparently there are "lists" from pre-2015.  VA ABC intends to work there way through these "lists" and I use quotes because I very much doubt the validity when I hear stories like this or of people picking up two bottles of Stagg.  It's likely to be years before BTAC finds it's way into lottery.

I read about these special lists on their own website about a year ago but they have since removed any word of it. I was hoping it was because they had worked their way through the list and scrapped that concept altogether. It does make you wonder if BTAC came and went undetected.

6 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Harry, 

not sure if you listen to podcasts but one of the guys on bourbon pursuit tried it and roundly rejected it. Said it had no oak at all and was like watered down crown. Fwiw. 

Well, THAT's a downer.  I think I'll keep an eye out for it behind a bar or two.  Of course, if I see one in the discounted bin . . .

Bought an OF 1920 finally for <$60.  See it all the time for $68 and have just never pulled the trigger.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

Bought an OF 1920 finally for <$60.  See it all the time for $68 and have just never pulled the trigger.

So jealous of you! I finished off my bottle a couple weeks ago and I keep buying other things to try, but not many things compare to the OF 1920, in my opinion.

It's something special.

Enjoy! Cheers!

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

So jealous of you! I finished off my bottle a couple weeks ago and I keep buying other things to try, but not many things compare to the OF 1920, in my opinion.

It's something special.

Enjoy! Cheers!

Have you tried the OF Statesman yet? One of the managers at TW swears by it over the 1920 - I haven't had either, so I can't comment though.

Just now, Bnrhodes3 said:

Have you tried the OF Statesman yet? One of the managers at TW swears by it over the 1920 - I haven't had either, so I can't comment though.

I haven't had the Statesman, but may have to try it. The only reason I haven't is I KNOW I like the 1920 and it's hard to justify buying something that's the same price on a whim (I suppose I've already done that with other bourbons tho).

Thanks for the recommendation.

• I like it 1

On 11/19/2017 at 9:04 AM, $helby said:

Actually purchased these a couple of weekends ago while on a quick trip to Chesapeake VA.   I walked into a VABC store nearby wanting to pick up a few bottles not available in NC. I was astonished to find a lone bottle of Sazerac 18 sitting on the top shelf in the bourbon section and priced at $80.   Naturally, I quickly grabbed it and proceeded to the checkout. After walking to the car my wife and daughter said I looked giddy and they were indeed correct.   S18 is the only BTAC item I have never been able to procure must less find on a shelf at MSRP.   Not sure how it got there as all BTAC items are sold exclusively through the online VABC lottery.   My guess is either it was misshipped or the lottery winner failed to pick it up, either way it was my lucky day.   Sunday, I decided to hit a store in Virginia Beach and picked up a few more bottles not available in NC: Joseph Magnus, SA Contradiction, Old Rippy and Bond & Lillard.   I just finished a SA Contradiction so this bottle replaces it.   Hope I don't regret buying the JM, OR and B&L.   When my daughter visits us for Thanksgiving we will open all 3 and decide.   

image.jpeg

Nice haul.  the Old Ripy and Bond & Lilliard are very different.  I bet you will definitely prefer one to the other. 

FYI....You can find Contradiction in NC.  Wake Co. for sure.

5 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I like both the Statesman and the 1920.  I think the 1920 is superior and much more complex.  The Statesman is kind of a one trick pony, but it's a good trick!  Enjoyed it.

5 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I haven't had the Statesman, but may have to try it. The only reason I haven't is I KNOW I like the 1920 and it's hard to justify buying something that's the same price on a whim (I suppose I've already done that with other bourbons tho).

Thanks for the recommendation.

I know the feeling! They are both on my ever expanding 'buy' list, but at the price point, I have a few other things I want to get to first (I may nab a bottle soon since I have no idea if it is an ongoing release - as with anything else, I'm a sucker for limited things). I have also read that the Statesman is something people either love or hate out of the OF collection. If nothing else, you can try it if I pick it up. 

Just now, Canarse said:

I like both the Statesman and the 1920.  I think the 1920 is superior and much more complex.  The Statesman is kind of a one trick pony, but it's a good trick!  Enjoyed it.

Since they are so close in price, I would say it is hard to pick the lower proofed Statesman over the 1920 too, but I'm sure I will want to still give a SBS a try haha. 

No super cool LE or anything thats going to break the bank, but I'm on a mission to try every bottom shelf BIB I can find. Most of them have been really good value buys. I have been wanting to give this one a try, but have never ran across it until tonight while in Kentucky. 

1511227146798-1435195270.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Canarse said:

I agree. Initially, I was pretty indifferent to the Statesman as the movie angle seemed gimmicky but I ended up trying one at a bar for free. It was surprisingly great; I plan to buy a bottle at some point. Not as stellar as the 1920 but definitely worth picking up if found at a good price.

I guess I'll be sorting this out for my own tastes soon haha. (My gf bought the Irish whiskies - they had a promotion where you get $20 off if you buy both)

1511233455976167765997.jpg

Picked up a few more OWA PS bottles from the latest store pick barrel to hit a store in my area. Found another ECBP B517 that I just couldn't leave on the shelf. Picked up a few bottles of ER10 PS from another store. And the icing on the cake was scoring my first ever BTAC WLW! I'm hoping, like many of us, that the next few weeks will be rewarding and I'll be able to score a few more BTAC bottles and a few Van Winkle or Pappy bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

48 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Picked up a few more OWA PS bottles from the latest store pick barrel to hit a store in my area. Found another ECBP B517 that I just couldn't leave on the shelf. Picked up a few bottles of ER10 PS from another store. And the icing on the cake was scoring my first ever BTAC WLW! I'm hoping, like many of us, that the next few weeks will be rewarding and I'll be able to score a few more BTAC bottles and a few Van Winkle or Pappy bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on all of those finds!

I am curious, if you don't mind my asking - what did you pay for the WLW? I'm trying to determine whether I want to spend the money on it if I find it or not - I know MSRP is like ~$90 and I feel like setting my limit at $200 for a bottle, but I don't know if it is even feasible to find it remotely close to MSRP (I definitely don't want to get in to secondary market prices). 

2 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

Congrats on all of those finds!

I am curious, if you don't mind my asking - what did you pay for the WLW? I'm trying to determine whether I want to spend the money on it if I find it or not - I know MSRP is like ~$90 and I feel like setting my limit at $200 for a bottle, but I don't know if it is even feasible to find it remotely close to MSRP (I definitely don't want to get in to secondary market prices). 

Interested as well..i have been told i am first on the list for btac but no $ were discussed. Would hate to have to walk but $200 is my limit as well.

12 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Interested as well..i have been told i am first on the list for btac but no $ were discussed. Would hate to have to walk but $200 is my limit as well.

Yep, same situation. I am supposed to be contacted if a stores gets any, but was told that they pricing may be closer to "online prices", so I'm assuming that may mean secondary prices (I sure hope not though). 

1 hour ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

I guess I'll be sorting this out for my own tastes soon haha. (My gf bought the Irish whiskies - they had a promotion where you get $20 off if you buy both)

1511233455976167765997.jpg

$20 off if you buy both old Foresters? Where?!?

Just re-read it, I imagine you were talking about the Irish whiskey's

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.