What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, JTaylor said:

IDK, they're usually right at state minimum price, and several times he's put aside some harder to get stuff like ETL or ECBP specifically waiting for me to come in... I buy a lot from him including other liquors so I had high hopes that if they got some LEs I'd have a shot at it, it kinda felt like a kick in the stomach. But like I said, my other guy got me a lot of LEs this year so I can't complain. Just need to throw my money at the guy that's actually hooking me up.

Man.... this really does suck. I feel for you. I would be pretty upset as well

Picked up a KCSB store pick. No age information beyond the normal nine years. I've had a bottle before and thought it was very good — definitely worth $40.

I’ve had a casual relationship with a store that just got more serious. The manager is very responsive and his intent is to spread the love around his best customers. He marks the limiteds over retail but not to a gouge level and is upfront about it. I was happy to get the ORVW and to now be ‘on the list’ for future bottles. A good day. 

909D978B-C237-4110-87BD-16FECDB729AF.jpeg

• I like it 6

I was bummed out that the 1792 BIB was a no-show at WhiskyFest on Thursday, as I was looking forward to trying it. Tried the High Rye instead, which I've never seen on the shelves down here-- so I was surprised to find it this morning along with this mixed bag of age stated liquid.

IMG_7902.thumb.JPG.4693ee82dc8692ccab74999f7803482c.JPG

21 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Mid winters 5/2 was 109 in South Carolina. 

MOTHER DUCK!!  I paid $80 plus outrageous city tax for HWMWMD!  RE, the Weller SR - I have plenty on hand as it appeared recently at about $25  a 750 so I loaded up.

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

I was bummed out that the 1792 BIB was a no-show at WhiskyFest on Thursday, as I was looking forward to trying it. Tried the High Rye instead, which I've never seen on the shelves down here-- so I was surprised to find it this morning along with this mixed bag of age stated liquid.

IMG_7902.thumb.JPG.4693ee82dc8692ccab74999f7803482c.JPG

Thoughts on the Entrapment?  Anything over 8 years  (except for HMcK 10 Yr depending on the barrel and, of course, Saz18) is OFF my purchase list.  But, there are exceptions, . . .

43 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thoughts on the Entrapment?  Anything over 8 years  (except for HMcK 10 Yr depending on the barrel and, of course, Saz18) is OFF my purchase list.  But, there are exceptions, . . .

I'll open it up over the Thanksgiving break and let you know. At the Crown Royal Tales of the Cocktail seminar this past summer, we sampled cask strength pours of the individual components used to build Crown Royal Deluxe (among others)-- and I was really impressed. I wish the ABV was higher on Entrapment, bit I'm looking forward to it regardless.

I posted something here and realized I was in the wrong thread. I'm correcting that by editing. I found a 2004 EWSB in an out of the way store for $25.99

Edited by BottledInBond
  • I like it 1

I found a couple of bottles of ECBP B517 on the shelf for $59.99.  I bought one and left one for someone else.  I might check back in a week or two and pick it up if it is still there.

44 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I posted something here and realized I was in the wrong thread. I'm correcting that by editing. I found a 2004 EWSB in an out of the way store for $25.99

I ran into a shelf of 2005 today and didn't pull the trigger. . Was 2004 the last good year?

Just picked these up today! Couple of VOB BIB "6" bottles and I store pick of 1792 SiB.

IMG_1415.thumb.JPG.5ed32a535bc413ab146b6724aa3701dc.JPG

Cheers!

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

I ran into a shelf of 2005 today and didn't pull the trigger. . Was 2004 the last good year?

I would have grabbed a couple if the price was good but I enjoy even the newer ewsb 

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

I don't know if it was the last good year per se. It's not a premium line so it has never been the fanciest in the Heaven Hill portfolio. I have always of this as the best "intro to bourbon" bottle from HH for introducing to new drinkers as it tends to have classic flavors at a reasonable price. That said, they have been trending younger and younger. This particular barrel is just over 10 years and recent releases have trend to more like 8. 

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'll open it up over the Thanksgiving break and let you know. At the Crown Royal Tales of the Cocktail seminar this past summer, we sampled cask strength pours of the individual components used to build Crown Royal Deluxe (among others)-- and I was really impressed. I wish the ABV was higher on Entrapment, bit I'm looking forward to it regardless.

Now, that is some good info.  Frankly, I have been surprised by some older bourbons at less than 100 proof.  Some of the oaky edges are smoothed at the lower proofs IMO as long as they aren't watered down too much. 

After going overboard last year my only goal was to get another bottle of PVW15 or better.

The local store owner called me and said he had 1 bottle come in if I wanted it (his prices aren’t extreme and only upcharges very little).

I go in to pick it up and he comes back out of the back with two bottles, One was ORVW (which I have a bottle of) and the other was BTAC George T Stagg!!!

He asked if I had ever seen those before and that in the ten years he’s owned the place he’s never received one. He didn’t even know what it was.

So I finally got to buy a bottle of the BTAC for regular price. I was as excited as a child on Christmas morning.

NOTE: Where I live I’ve inquired and placed my names on lists for ANY BTAC they may get in and of those 7 or 8 stores in different cities they’ve all told me they never receive any of those. I got laughed at by 2 store owners in the past because they say the allotment never gets to stores in their areas and they’ve never even gotten a single bottle. This is weird to me as I live 30 mins from 3 bigger towns here in Georgia.

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Now, that is some good info.  Frankly, I have been surprised by some older bourbons at less than 100 proof.  Some of the oaky edges are smoothed at the lower proofs IMO as long as they aren't watered down too much. 

Makes me think of Barterhouse. Ton of oak but smoothed by the low proof. At 20 years it might have been too oaky at a higher proof. I'd like to try it higher though. 

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm really curious to hear more about this. On the one hand I'm not a fan of Canadian whiskey, or well, the blends that are typically sold as Canadian whiskey. I find Whistlepig to be excellent. I've also yet to be disappointed by any of the Orphan Barrel products I've tried - I quite enjoy a heavy dose of oak.

9 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Makes me think of Barterhouse. Ton of oak but smoothed by the low proof. At 20 years it might have been too oaky at a higher proof. I'd like to try it higher though. 

I actually had this discussion with Jimmy and Eddie Russell at this year's WhiskyFest Wash DC re: the Masters Keep releases.  Proof was sacrificed for balance, I was told.  Can't please everybody, so the object was to seek balance of notes, rather than dominance of a particular note, in the bourbons.  Like you, however, I'd like to try a couple degrees up just to see . . .  It's a thing I like about OGD 114; I get to drop it a little or down close to OGD BIB (of which I have an obscene amount bunkered) depending on mood.

9 hours ago, Grim_Tactics said:

After going overboard last year my only goal was to get another bottle of PVW15 or better.

The local store owner called me and said he had 1 bottle come in if I wanted it (his prices aren’t extreme and only upcharges very little).

I go in to pick it up and he comes back out of the back with two bottles, One was ORVW (which I have a bottle of) and the other was BTAC George T Stagg!!!

He asked if I had ever seen those before and that in the ten years he’s owned the place he’s never received one. He didn’t even know what it was.

So I finally got to buy a bottle of the BTAC for regular price. I was as excited as a child on Christmas morning.

NOTE: Where I live I’ve inquired and placed my names on lists for ANY BTAC they may get in and of those 7 or 8 stores in different cities they’ve all told me they never receive any of those. I got laughed at by 2 store owners in the past because they say the allotment never gets to stores in their areas and they’ve never even gotten a single bottle. This is weird to me as I live 30 mins from 3 bigger towns here in Georgia.

Welcome Grim. Happy hunting this holiday season.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.