What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

$20 off if you buy both old Foresters? Where?!?

Just re-read it, I imagine you were talking about the Irish whiskey's

The Irish whiskies unfortunately haha. Total Wine has a number of little signs all over the place right now for $10-$20 off of different things if you buy 2 bottles shown on the signs.

Side note - I just did a SBS of Jameson and Jameson Black Barrel - the J BB is much more reminiscent of bourbon and I did like it neat, but I definitely feel the need to mix standard Jameson with something to enjoy it (I original picked it up for Irish Car Bombs :lol:).

Congrats on all of those finds!

I am curious, if you don't mind my asking - what did you pay for the WLW? I'm trying to determine whether I want to spend the money on it if I find it or not - I know MSRP is like ~$90 and I feel like setting my limit at $200 for a bottle, but I don't know if it is even feasible to find it remotely close to MSRP (I definitely don't want to get in to secondary market prices). 

Everything was MSRP today, so it was an even better day. The OWA and ECBP were on the high side of the normal retail range, but the ER10 and WLW made up for that. I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium on LE and highly allocated stuff, particularly if I don't have many or have never had any, but I'm not usually going to go over twice suggested retail price, and that's only because I know costs are higher on some LE stuff in Tennessee than in many other states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

The Irish whiskies unfortunately haha. Total Wine has a number of little signs all over the place right now for $10-$20 off of different things if you buy 2 bottles shown on the signs.

Side note - I just did a SBS of Jameson and Jameson Black Barrel - the J BB is much more reminiscent of bourbon and I did like it neat, but I definitely feel the need to mix standard Jameson with something to enjoy it (I original picked it up for Irish Car Bombs :lol:).

I actually like Jameson Black Barrel quite a bit. As you note, it's much better than regular Jameson, which is best as a mixer.

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Everything was MSRP today, so it was an even better day. The OWA and ECBP were on the high side of the normal retail range, but the ER10 and WLW made up for that. I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium on LE and highly allocated stuff, particularly if I don't have many or have never had any, but I'm not usually going to go over twice suggested retail price, and that's only because I know costs are higher on some LE stuff in Tennessee than in many other states.

That is encouraging to hear, so an even bigger congratulations! I can only hope I can get in to that situation some day. 

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I actually like Jameson Black Barrel quite a bit. As you note, it's much better than regular Jameson, which is best as a mixer.

I wasn't even aware of it before, but I definitely would scoff at a pour of it. 

Just received three Four Roses SmBLE 2017s an hour ago. Looking forward to it. One to crack open today - if it's good I'll check if they have more. One for the "collection". And one for a SBS along with some of my '14, '15 and '16.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Jace said:

Just received three Four Roses SmBLE 2017s an hour ago. Looking forward to it. One to crack open today - if it's good I'll check if they have more. One for the "collection". And one for a SBS along with some of my '14, '15 and '16.

wow. hit the jackpot huh?

5 hours ago, Jace said:

congrats, Ive been scouring the area looking for one (found one for 400 I had to pass on) and most places I ask laugh and say theyve already been told they wont be seeing it.

7 hours ago, Jace said:

Curious to see what you think. I sipped an ounce of this last week. To me, it is very much unlike most FR offerings, but it is very interesting and very delicious.

• I like it 2

Picked up a pricing anomaly today: a 10-pack of 50mL WT101s for $8.99.  (500mL for $8.99 equates to $13.49 for a full 750mL, which is a good $6-7 cheaper than its full price.)  Plus, they are airplane friendly and ready to travel with me as is.  Dilly dilly!

• I like it 5

Thanks to @NDN98 giving me the heads up, I was able to pick up the Stagg Jr  and also noticed a ECBP batch b517 sitting there as well.  SOLD

IMAG1889.jpg

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

Thanks to @NDN98 giving me the heads up, I was able to pick up the Stagg Jr  and also noticed a ECBP batch b517 sitting there as well.  SOLD

IMAG1889.jpg

this about my favorite non-limited edition purchase you could make right here.

• I like it 1

Allocated BT hit my little burg this week. 

By circumstance, I met the distributor's rep today and he gave me a few leads. 

120 bottles of Stagg Sr. for the entire state of CT. Pffftttt...

Over a 30 mile round trip to about 6 stores, I managed to score some Pikesville Rye, Three RHF, a W12 and WT101Rye.  Got a bottle of ETL on hold at the last stop, they actually called once the box arrived(since I'm a regular).  That and the ECBP and I'm tapped for the month. 

Was offered an EC18 at MSRP and found a cask strength Garrison Brothers PS that is probably the most amazing whisky I've ever tasted ($140).  I'm seriously considering both of these as the first +$100 dollar bottles of bourbon I buy.  I've had an arbitrary $90/btl limit all these years, due to my station in life.  Hey, it's only money. 

Watch out for that wishlist/buy list thread, some serious juju in there.  Thanks bourbon goddess for answering my prayer. 

Edited by Guss West
speeling
  • I like it 2

Well here in the heart of LE season I ended up with some Dusty/Semi Dusty stuff. For whatever reason I have a problem when I see the black capped OGD BIB and 86 proof I'm sure the stores are happy to get rid of the stock. The Lord Calvert was hard to resist for $10 even if I don't drink it, I thought the bottle was cool plus it had a tax strip so it came home.

IMG_20171121_191315373.jpg

• I like it 2

Cleared the shelf of HWMWND Act 5 Scene 2 (save one, bad karma ya' know) before leaving Rhode Island last night.  But to no avail since I didn't get a call from my go-to store lottery of PVW/BTAC - I though sure I was gonna' get SOMETHING, but no joy in Mudville today.   :huh:

Hello all!

Stumbled upon StraightBourbon.com this week, I'm still relatively new to the Bourbon world.  I have enjoyed reading all of the posts on this site and I must say, I wish I had found the joy of Bourbon long before I did.  Looking through this topic, I thought I would introduce myself and share a pic of my Bourbon luck so far this month.  Glad I found this site, it's been a real pleasure reading through all of the topics\posts.  What a great place this is! Thanks All!!! 

fullsizeoutput_5a5.jpeg

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well here in the heart of LE season I ended up with some Dusty/Semi Dusty stuff. For whatever reason I have a problem when I see the black capped OGD BIB and 86 proof I'm sure the stores are happy to get rid of the stock. The Lord Calvert was hard to resist for $10 even if I don't drink it, I thought the bottle was cool plus it had a tax strip so it came home.

IMG_20171121_191315373.jpg

If you dont mind me asking what about the black capped BIB makes them dusty. I saw a bunch just yesterday in a SUPER sketchy store behind glass and figured they might be older stock, but couldn't find any info on them. Im always up for adding a few dustys to the collection.

1 minute ago, John - H said:

Hello all!

Stumbled upon StraightBourbon.com this week, I'm still relatively new to the Bourbon world.  I have enjoyed reading all of the posts on this site and I must say, I wish I had found the joy of Bourbon long before I did.  Looking through this topic, I thought I would introduce myself and share a pic of my Bourbon luck so far this month.  Glad I found this site, it's been a real pleasure reading through all of the topics\posts.  What a great place this is! Thanks All!!! 

fullsizeoutput_5a5.jpeg

Very nice haul! I'm about to open my bottle of Hancock's President's Reserve... Welcome to the forum! I love this place.

Cheers!

Store pick OBSV.

Was told they were forced to have it proofed down to 100p.

It's also one of the youngest I've ever seen...:(

I bought it because I got to taste first and I liked it.

IMAG2768.jpg

IMAG2769.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

If you dont mind me asking what about the black capped BIB makes them dusty. I saw a bunch just yesterday in a SUPER sketchy store behind glass and figured they might be older stock, but couldn't find any info on them. Im always up for adding a few dustys to the collection.

They aren't super dusty. They were, as far as I know, the last of the old bottle design before the new corked bottles but for some reason I consistently seem to enjoy them more than both the newer bottles and the orange caps I have hanging around. 

I purchased these two today.
1d1cde67e0d6c6467d6d6d118c6998a1.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I purchased these two today.
1d1cde67e0d6c6467d6d6d118c6998a1.jpg

How does the DN 1843 compare to OFBIB?

How does the DN 1843 compare to OFBIB?
I like it better, but it is more expensive. It also doesn't have the mild doublemint taste that I enjoy in OFBIB.

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I like it better, but it is more expensive. It also doesn't have the mild doublemint taste that I enjoy in OFBIB.

I too like it quite a bit, but with a handle like yours this is a bold statement!

47 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I get the doublemint thing with OFBIB too. I thought I was the only one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.