What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I thought Contradiction was a mix of wheat and rye bourbon. Which reminds me a great option for the 4G thread. Still worth doing a SBS, please post results.

Oh yes you're right. Just pulled the bottle and yeah you're correct. Good call.

I think contradiction is a great pour.

Edited by Government Beard

Haha, ok mum's the word around here.  I'm surprised you didn't take your wife along to improve your chances.  That seems to be the new thing with youngsters at bourbon lotteries

Yeah but having a toddler complicates the matter. Really don't want to be the guy at the small liquor store with a bored crying kid running around. Also the entry process made this also difficult.

2 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Oh yes you're right. Just pulled the bottle and yeah you're correct. Good call.

Maybe try HW Bourye?  Never had it, but it might be that mix.  I liked WT Forgiven just fine.  Enjoy!

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah but having a toddler complicates the matter. Really don't want to be the guy at the small liquor store with a bored crying kid running around. Also the entry process made this also difficult.

Good point, good call.  Congrats, great haul

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

Outside of a lucky stroke of finding one in the wild, my LE hunting season has come to a close.

I had a better year than I thought I would. Better than last year which is a surprise since it's been getting tougher every year.

This year's catch:

4R Al Young 50th

PVW15yr

GTS

OFBB x2

PH11 11yr x2

You just never know how each year is going to go so this has been a good one.

Very nice haul.  Agreed, it has been a good year.  I think the increase in btac bottles didn't hurt.

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Maybe try HW Bourye?  Never had it, but it might be that mix.  I liked WT Forgiven just fine.  Enjoy!

That's what it was! I was racking my brain thinking "there's a bottle somewhere in the bunker where I can do this SBS."

Bourne. Good call!

Edited by Government Beard

On 12/15/2017 at 6:31 PM, Richnimrod said:

Those can indeed be wonderful selections.    I eagerly await one myself that we picked several months ago.    I don't recall too much about it, other than it was lovely straight from the barrel.

14 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

Had a killer EC pick last night that really blew me away. Honestly reminded me of this year’s  OFBB but maybe even a little better.

A few months ago, I bought a store select four pack of EC, two 8 year, one 10 year, and one 12 year. I did a taste comparison yesterday including a standard EC and my new 12 year. It was much fun to note the differences. All were excellent. I did put my new 12 year old at the top. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Haha, ok mum's the word around here.  I'm surprised you didn't take your wife along to improve your chances.  That seems to be the new thing with youngsters at bourbon lotteries

I am currently coordinating  our family reunion with the Total Wine lottery in the spring.  Need them to announce a date soon so I can set up hotel accommodations. If any of the STL SB members show up please come by our tent and say hi.  We will be the 125 people in matching t-shirts.

Think the Nature Boy said it the best "Win if you may, lose if you must , but always cheat"

Edited by Gorzo

1 hour ago, Gorzo said:

I am currently coordinating  our family reunion with the Total Wine lottery in the spring.  Need them to announce a date soon so I can set up hotel accommodations. If any of the STL SB members show up please come by our tent and say hi.  We will be the 125 people in matching t-shirts.

Think the Nature Boy said it the best "Win if you may, lose if you must , but always cheat"

Lmao.... Except last year some guys grandma won a Lot B.

Guy wrote her a note with what to buy on it.

• I like it 1

I admit to taking my daughter along last year.  She actually got a GTS but she did pay for it herself for my father's day gift.

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Only 4.

Haha! Only 4. 

You were blessed by the bourbon gods yesterday. I'm happy for you, man. Great score.

I admit to taking my daughter along last year.  She actually got a GTS but she did pay for it herself for my father's day gift.

Wow you even got your mule to pay, win, win.
  • I like it 1

8 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow you even got your mule to pay, win, win.

Lmao!

I dunno if having children just to get me bourbon is a good financial plan.

At least clueby is cheating so he can drink the stuff.

:P

Lmao!

I dunno if having children just to get me bourbon is a good financial plan.

At least clueby is cheating so he can drink the stuff.
[emoji14]

It's my long hustle, have children, show them affection all so they can wait with me for allocated bourbon and feel the need to buy it for me if they win.

clueby has it figured out.
  • I like it 2

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

It's my long hustle, have children, show them affection all so they can wait with me for allocated bourbon and feel the need to buy it for me if they win.

clueby has it figured out.

Winning.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Lmao.... Except last year some guys grandma won a Lot B.

Guy wrote her a note with what to buy on it.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I pinned a piece of paper saying "I will take the WLW" and a hundo to my grandma's chest. Didn't seem suspicious at all. Still trying to figure out if TW scammed me and didn't give grandma back the change or that she pocketed it. 

Reading your post Clueby it feels like you just got the weight of the world off your shoulsers. Almost like that confession was meant for a priest.  You don't need to apologize. People that go after these bottles use their advantages no matter what they may be.  If your advantage is stacking a lottery then good for you. Won't ever see me be the moral compass on this site. Free Will!  Just don't blast me on the board when my family reunion plan nets me 56.7%of the available bottles at the TW lottery this spring.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

I pinned a piece of paper saying "I will take the WLW" and a hundo to my grandma's chest. Didn't seem suspicious at all. Still trying to figure out if TW scammed me and didn't give grandma back the change or that she pocketed it. 

Reading your post Clueby it feels like you just got the weight of the world off your shoulsers. Almost like that confession was meant for a priest.  You don't need to apologize. People that go after these bottles use their advantages no matter what they may be.  If your advantage is stacking a lottery then good for you. Won't ever see me be the moral compass on this site. Free Will!  Just don't blast me on the board when my family reunion plan nets me 56.7%of the available bottles at the TW lottery this spring.

Nah..I freely admitted it last year when it happened. I don't even feel bad as I sip GTS. :) She drove seperately, paid separately, even picked her bottle separately. I did give her a rough order of selection. The lottery was on Saturday morning before Father's Day. She wouldn't let me even SEE the bottle until Sunday evening.

My family is not big enough. I'd bring them all and still only end up with 2 bottles.

Made it home with my TW Pappy/BTAC sale WLW and beat the snow in northern NJ to boot!  My LE purchases are done for the year (except, of course, if a bottle or two of "Unicorns" just happened to jump into my lap).  I've been blessed with good luck this year and it has extended into the "hunt."

BTACWLW, GTS, & THH

OFBB

FRSmBLE

Blanton's Golds

HWMWNDs

FRSiB Store Picks

PH11s

And probably some I've bunkered and can't think of right now.

All Y'all have a wonderful Holiday season and a very Merry Christmas!   :D

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

I might be done with the LEs for the year as well after a lottery event yesterday at which I ended up with an OFBB. It seems like things have gotten really difficult but looking back now I’m pretty happy with what I got this fall. Overall I ended up with:

2x GTS

WLW

Saz 18

THH

2x PHC

2x FRSmBLE

2x Al Young

OFBB

ORVW10

5x KY Owl rye

3x HWMWND

Also picked up the WHH and EW23 in Kentucky, a bunch of ECBPs, and have some more Blantons Gold/SFTB and WT13s coming from Europe. Now I need to plan a few parties.......

I finally finished my 2nd bachelors degree this week (this one in Nursing), so my wife threw a party for me. What kinda gift do my loving friends & family bring me? Booze of course! Note some progress was made on the wonderful Tullamore Dew 14 yr. Oh, I also got a coffee mug (not pictured).

20171217_143413.jpg

I’m reading all of this, looking at the pics and just living vicariously through these posts. Keep it up guys!

Picked up a bottle of Yellowstone on the weekend, and was also eying off an Old Forester Statesman as a possible drinker for the festive season holidays.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.