What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Life is a fine balance of stimulants and depressants.

Preach brother. Coworkers are always suprised when I tell them I don't have issues sleeping.

Tagged along with my wife and daughter on their Christmas shopping trip to Myrtle Beach SC today.   Dropped them off at the outlet stores and went Bourbon shopping.  Picked up the following:

2 HWAMND and got a $10 discount on each for buying two

1 FRSiB barrel proof store pick OBSQ 10 year

2 Chicken Cock 160th Anniversary

1 SA Contradiction

1 JPS 16

1 OB Entrapment ( I know, probably will regret it)

Opened the FR and CC tonight and glad I bought both.   CC only 90 proof and was very smooth and easy to drink. My wife even liked it.  FR needed a few drops of water to open up.  Wish I had bought 2  bottles.    

2 minutes ago, $helby said:

FR needed a few drops of water to open up.  Wish I had bought 2  bottles.    

I always say that with 4R Private Barrels.

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Have you tried the Chicken Cock?

Yes it's smooth and easy to drink at 90 proof.   I think most newbies to drinking bourbon neat will enjoy.  It's a cool looking bottle with its own tin shot cup.   I will keep an open bottle for friends to try as well as a conversation piece sines it is bottles in Charleston SC.  

• I like it 1

Yes it's smooth and easy to drink at 90 proof.   I think most newbies to drinking bourbon neat will enjoy.  It's a cool looking bottle with its own tin shot cup.   I will keep an open bottle for friends to try as well as a conversation piece sines it is bottles in Charleston SC.  

Ok not necessarily a good endorsement. I recall it having a good age and source but not to excited at 90 proof and the price I recall.

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok not necessarily a good endorsement. I recall it having a good age and source but not to excited at 90 proof and the price I recall.

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Agreed but not unhappy I bought 2 bottles. Wish it was higher proof but it is a single barrel 8 year Indiana distilled straight bourbon.  

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

Oh hell yeah! I consider that the 5th Beatle of the BTAC:D

Very well put. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, $helby said:

DEC143E8-778F-47D8-BFD9-694E990D1223.jpeg

I did see some High West AMND finally here, but the price was outragous.

I made a run to the other side of town to shop a few spots I've never been.  Found several SAOS bottles, including a Ten SmB (2015), a SiB 10 ('16), and a SiB 11 ('16).  All Sarah picks.  There was a SiB 10 James too.  Left 6-8 of each SiB 10 on the shelf. 

I was supposed to get a 4R SiB pick to make my 4R collection 7/10, but got distracted by KCSiB PS that were 14 yr.  Guess I'll have to back... 

James? Wow...I’ve had 20+ SAOS 10,11 bottles and never seen anyone but Sarah. These days in Chicago I can’t find any SAOS so they ar distant memories but I know I never saw anyone but sarah.

Where were you hunting that you found this wealth of deliciousness ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

Oh hell yeah! I consider that the 5th Beatle of the BTAC:D

Shouldn't it be the 6th?   :wacko:

6 hours ago, grantsi said:

James? Wow...I’ve had 20+ SAOS 10,11 bottles and never seen anyone but Sarah. These days in Chicago I can’t find any SAOS so they ar distant memories but I know I never saw anyone but sarah.

Where were you hunting that you found this wealth of deliciousness ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Kansas City, was shopping a couple of grocery stores I'd heard through the bourbon grapevine had age-stated SAOS.  

Some of the newer SAOS are bottled by Ashton, but those are not age-stated.

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Oh you math professors were always so picky. :P

That's what 3 degrees from MIT will get you (I didn't have the good sense to get OUT when I could!).  Typical over-achieving Oriental.  Oh wait - I'm Asian now; Orientals are rugs, no?   :wacko:

• I like it 3

Went to pick up middle daughter from College last night. Got there early and decided to stop at the liquor store. These came home with me. Annnnnnnd, the collection grows. 

20171213_214436.jpg

• I like it 1

BS=Bull Sh*t

MS=More Sh*t

PhD=Piled Higher and Deeper

I'm a Phud too, Gee.  Jettisoned out of the Ivory Tower to the Dark Side of Science about a decade ago.  Can't say I miss much about academia. 

Recently have purchased some bottles from a new distillery in the Adirondacks, Springbrook Hollow.  Good stuff with lots of room to grow.  The new make is excellent, I expect great things!  Check them out if you're ever near Lake George NY! 

After I thought the hunting season was over and I told myself (and my wife) that I was done buying for a while, a few bottles fell in my lap at retail prices. Picked up an EHT Straight Rye, Weller 12 and Blanton's. 

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Guss West said:

Recently have purchased some bottles from a new distillery in the Adirondacks, Springbrook Hollow. 

No doubt inspired by my alma mater; Springbrook HS in Silver Spring, MD. That's Maryland not medical doctor.  Keeping it with the degree theme. :D

Received my first ever overseas order this week (from MoM).  Very easy process, quick delivery, and super well-packed merchandise.  Very satisfied.  After reading all the good reviews on Blanton's Gold on here, I had to try it.  I was going to get a bottle of the SFTB also, but it was out of stock.  So, I got two of the Gold, instead!  The second bottle has already been opened and sampled.  Really nice.  Clearly in the Blanton's lineage, but "kicked up a notch."  Whereas I prefer the standard Blanton's neat, I have decided that the Gold benefits from a rock in the glass.  The slight water addition seems, to me, to bring out some additional flavors that I like.  Definitely a keeper!  Happy Holidays!

Blanton's Gold.jpg

• I like it 1

As I was doing my weekly shopping at my spirit store the mgr. called to me ( yeah they know me pretty well) and said I've got something for you in the back. Much to my surprise he came out with the W12. They always save me 1 when it comes in. They treat me very well there. I have even been gifted a very nice bottle just because I'm such a good customer.5a32e940794cb_Weller12.jpg.186dc3378f7842c3b2099ffda91810de.jpg

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, $helby said:

Tagged along with my wife and daughter on their Christmas shopping trip to Myrtle Beach SC today.   Dropped them off at the outlet stores and went Bourbon shopping.  Picked up the following:

2 HWAMND and got a $10 discount on each for buying two

1 FRSiB barrel proof store pick OBSQ 10 year

2 Chicken Cock 160th Anniversary

1 SA Contradiction

1 JPS 16

1 OB Entrapment ( I know, probably will regret it)

Opened the FR and CC tonight and glad I bought both.   CC only 90 proof and was very smooth and easy to drink. My wife even liked it.  FR needed a few drops of water to open up.  Wish I had bought 2  bottles.    

Thanks for the post $helby. Smooth Ambler Contradiction has shown up in good quantities at a couple of stores here. I also just saw Chicken Cock for the first time a week or so ago. I didn't pay much attention to it, but after reading your post, I might have to go back and give it another look see. I forgot the price. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.