Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

Recommended Posts

CardsandBourbon

Time to start the Fall version.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golferpimp1

Passed on a few barterhouse bottles today at 79.99. I already have one I haven't cracked, and the bunker is growing too quickly. It was a tough pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

and the bunker is growing too quickly. 

You are not alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golzee

Passed on ER for $26.99 while in Wisconsin for the weekend.  Also, passed on a 1 liter kentucky straight rye whiskey (forgot the name) for $14.99.  I was planning on picking up the rye today, but, the liquor store was closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chappy6107

passed on a W12 .  was $79.  what is the retail of this bottle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
On 9/24/2017 at 4:12 PM, Golzee said:

Passed on ER for $26.99 while in Wisconsin for the weekend.  Also, passed on a 1 liter kentucky straight rye whiskey (forgot the name) for $14.99.  I was planning on picking up the rye today, but, the liquor store was closed.

Fleishman's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
25 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

passed on a W12 .  was $79.  what is the retail of this bottle?

Depends on what store you get it from, and whether or not they're gouging. I recently was lucky enough to purchase a handle of Weller 12 pretty much at retail for $49.99. That should tell you something.

 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chappy6107
1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Depends on what store you get it from, and whether or not they're gouging. I recently was lucky enough to purchase a handle of Weller 12 pretty much at retail for $49.99. That should tell you something.

 

Joe

 

a handle of W12 as in 1.75 L for $49.99?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

^^^^^^Yep, I've paid the same of late.  Also picked up a few 750's for $27-29.99 (pre-tax).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chappy6107
16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^Yep, I've paid the same of late.  Also picked up a few 750's for $27-29.99 (pre-tax).

I really want to try it as I have not had the 12 year yet, but I also dont want to be gouged like that either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen

$27.99 OTD (no tax on hooch in Taxachusetts!) for Weller 12 when it shows up.   :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

I see prices all over the board.  Luckily, I've been able to hold out for reasonable prices (due to a bunker stash at home).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeeTen

Passed on Kentucky Owl Rye for $99.99.  Sourced whiskey from unknown origins from an old brand name.  No bueno, for me!   :wacko:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NDN98

Passed on Stagg Jr. at $77.  I like it fine, but my last bottle was $45 and I felt that was pushing the limits of its worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
6 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Passed on Stagg Jr. at $77.  I like it fine, but my last bottle was $45 and I felt that was pushing the limits of its worth.

It's traditionally been $50 to $70 around here but I wouldn't buy at over $50. I recently found a source for it that was $43 but they just raised their price to $45.  I'm probably still a buyer up to $50 but I've stopped bunkering as it's pretty much always readily available.  I have 1 open and 2 left in the bunker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sour Mash Esq.

Passed on 2 newcomers my local store showed me: Rabbit Hole (a 2 year old sourced bourbon) and Bird Dog, which if I recall was NAS. Presumably also sourced.  I'd be interested in hearing if any of you have tried them, but I do not have high expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gurgalunas
2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Passed on Kentucky Owl Rye for $99.99.  Sourced whiskey from unknown origins from an old brand name.  No bueno, for me!   :wacko:

 

I passed on this one today @ $120.  LS owner said it was MPG juice, but I have no idea if he knows his stuff- he just bought the place.  His justification was "it's 11 yo rye.  Who else has that sitting around".  I didn't argue, just paid $25 for a baby Saz and left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golzee
3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Fleishman's?

Nope, but if I'm ever in Oxford, Wisconsin again, I'm going back to the liquor store to pick up a bottle.  Probably not missing out on anything if $14.99/L is any indication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

I was up in Stevens Point the last time I saw Fleishman's. I've heard that it's okay, but also that it might not be quite as good as it used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
12 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

 

a handle of W12 as in 1.75 L for $49.99?

 Yep. To show you just how extreme things can get, another store around where I live (maybe) had a 750 of Weller 12. I say maybe because it was in the back room and I never actually saw it.  The clerk called the manager because I was interested in a bottle. He said the manager was saving them as Xmas presents for his family, but he was willing to let one go for $99.99. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

 Yep. To show you just how extreme things can get, another store around where I live (maybe) had a 750 of Weller 12. I say maybe because it was in the back room and I never actually saw it.  The clerk called the manager because I was interested in a bottle. He said the manager was saving them as Xmas presents for his family, but he was willing to let one go for $99.99. <_<

Around here they sell OWA for $99!

20170921_180407-756x1008.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
12 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I passed on this one today @ $120.  LS owner said it was MPG juice, but I have no idea if he knows his stuff- he just bought the place.  His justification was "it's 11 yo rye.  Who else has that sitting around".  I didn't argue, just paid $25 for a baby Saz and left.

Well he is most definitely incorrect since it is a Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey, I will admit that if I have a chance I'm probably a buyer, not that many rye's out their with age statements that high and certainly basically nothing from KY. I don't usually care about age statements but this seems unique enough to give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

It's been a while since I've seen the 8 year JB Black. If they had a 750 I would probably snag one. 

IMG_4128.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petrel800

Passed on some reasonably priced ECBP. I need to drink what I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bourbon4all

Not bourbon but passed on an early release double rye that I wanted while in florida..... (69.99) pffft 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×