What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Haha, I remember buying OFBB off the shelf for 35 bucks when I didn't even know what I was doing.

There is NO WAY I'd pay more than 60 bucks for it. So basically I'm out until sanity is restored.

Edited by The Black Tot

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

Haha, I remember buying OFBB off the shelf for 35 bucks when I didn't even know what I was doing.

There is NO WAY I'd pay more than 60 bucks for it. So basically I'm out until sanity is restored.

I thought I bought a couple of different years of the OFBB, but according to my list, 2006 was the only one I bought. I seem to remember paying about the same price for mine that you did Paul. I know I sampled at least a couple of others though. I wasn't too impressed with any of them, so I've shied away from them every since. 

Cheers! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I thought I bought a couple of different years of the OFBB, but according to my list, 2006 was the only one I bought. I seem to remember paying about the same price for mine that you did Paul. I know I sampled at least a couple of others though. I wasn't too impressed with any of them, so I've shied away from them every since. 

Cheers! Joe

I bought a few of the 2011, 2012, and 2013 when they were released. Paid $35 to $38, and thought that they were pretty good, and better than decent. I have not seen them in the wild since then. I would not likely pay today's price for the 2017, when I could spend the same (or less) on a 4R PS or LE or similar. OTOH, I am a big fan of Old Forester, so crap, I would probably weaken and rationalize why I should part with the bucks if I actually came across a 2017. Ha.

Age stated KC 50ml bottles for $7.99. I did a double then triple take. I’ll check back in 3 years to see how many are still there. 

7 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Age stated KC 50ml bottles for $7.99. I did a double then triple take. I’ll check back in 3 years to see how many are still there. 

That price is miserable, I still have a bunch of places I can buy age stated 750's for $27.99.

2017 GTS for $300.  This store also had the 2017 Parker's Heritage, but I didn't even bother to ask the price after hearing that of the GTS.  I think I may not be welcome in that store anymore, because I involuntarily audibly scoffed when he told me the GTS price.  Thing is, even though I won't pay anything near that price for it, I'm sure he will sell out of all his bottles of each, so who am I to scoff?

9 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

2017 GTS for $300.  This store also had the 2017 Parker's Heritage, but I didn't even bother to ask the price after hearing that of the GTS.  I think I may not be welcome in that store anymore, because I involuntarily audibly scoffed when he told me the GTS price.  Thing is, even though I won't pay anything near that price for it, I'm sure he will sell out of all his bottles of each, so who am I to scoff?

Yep, someone will pay it. It will probably be gone before they close today.

11 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

2017 GTS for $300.  This store also had the 2017 Parker's Heritage, but I didn't even bother to ask the price after hearing that of the GTS.

You guys have fracking in Mt? If so those oil boys have cash to spend. ;)

4 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Scoff away. 

He's free to try to screw you, you're free to scoff at him when he does.

• I like it 2

So I was in a shop I'd never been in before. Checking out our section when an asst manager asks if he can help. They had a store pick of WTKS on sale so I asked how it was. He said I'm a bourbon guy through and through but if you want Wild Turkey you should get the American Honey instead. I told him no thanks and added a 116.8 rare breed on my way out. 

Not one to judge but damn. Not sure  what to say to that. So, today I passed on wild turkey american honey. 

• I like it 4

Passed on ECBP B517, $59.99 at the local grocery store. I came home and popped open the ECBP Batch #12 (136 proof) sample that I had been saving to confirm my prior thoughts on ECBP. Hot, rough, some nice caramel notes, a bit of nutty funkiness (I find this in all the HH bourbon's I've tried, except for EC18 so maybe it goes away with age). Even with water added this stuff is rough. I hear so much good about it on this forum, so I'm sort of curious if #12 was a notably bad batch or if it was typical of the line.

I don't have a problem with the high proof per se, I'll take Stagg JR at 130 proof any day, which feels like a solid 20 proof points lower than this stuff.

Also passed on Basil Hayden Dark Rye at $46, first time I've seen this.

Edited by EarthQuake

55 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Passed on ECBP B517, $59.99 at the local grocery store. I came home and popped open the ECBP Batch #12 (136 proof) sample that I had been saving to confirm my prior thoughts on ECBP. Hot, rough, some nice caramel notes, a bit of nutty funkiness (I find this in all the HH bourbon's I've tried, except for EC18 so maybe it goes away with age). Even with water added this stuff is rough. I hear so much good about it on this forum, so I'm sort of curious if #12 was a notably bad batch or if it was typical of the line.

I don't have a problem with the high proof per se, I'll take Stagg JR at 130 proof any day, which feels like a solid 20 proof points lower than this stuff.

Also passed on Basil Hayden Dark Rye at $46, first time I've seen this.

Interesting because I thought batch 12 was the best batch I've tried over 9, 11, A117, and B517. I have tried it sbs with Stagg Jr. 130 and I preferred the ECBP and thought the Stagg drank hotter.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

You guys have fracking in Mt? If so those oil boys have cash to spend. ;)

Yeah we do, and they sure do, at least from the stories I’ve heard. But the fields are all on the far eastern border of the state. I don’t think they make it over this far west to spend any of that cash unfortuntely. I might have to try to make a journey to that part of the state at some point to see what kind of selection they get.

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Scoff away. 

He's free to try to screw you, you're free to scoff at him when he does.

True. I’m sure he’s not upset about it... and I’ll be back in there to pick up more of the full row of OF1920 he has for under $60. 

17 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

True. I’m sure he’s not upset about it... and I’ll be back in there to pick up more of the full row of OF1920 he has for under $60. 

I remember one retailer in TX who wanted to charge secondary prices for limited bourbons. 

One day he accidentally underpriced a tequila I like by about $15/bottle.

I bought about 35.

If that's how he wants to play, that's how we play.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Kinda of my opinion towards the whole HH lineup. Except for Old Fitz they all seem rough. Have not found a bottle of the 18yr or 23yr to see if there is a difference.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Interesting because I thought batch 12 was the best batch I've tried over 9, 11, A117, and B517. I have tried it sbs with Stagg Jr. 130 and I preferred the ECBP and thought the Stagg drank hotter.

Yeah it's odd you wouldn't think that would be a subjective sort of thing, but here we are. Anyway thanks, I'll leave the B517 there for someone who will enjoy it more than me.

36 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Kinda of my opinion towards the whole HH lineup. Except for Old Fitz they all seem rough. Have not found a bottle of the 18yr or 23yr to see if there is a difference.

I had a pour of Old Fitz 12 at a local bar here, that seemed quite nice. Seems like tracking down a bottle is near impossible though.

1 minute ago, EarthQuake said:

I had a pour of Old Fitz 12 at a local bar here, that seemed quite nice. Seems like tracking down a bottle is near impossible though.

Think that's only available at the gift shop.

• I like it 1

Passed on some blanton's at 49 and 58 at two different stores. I was tempted to pick one up but Ive got 2.5, don't drink it incredibly often and am savign bourbon funds for the off chance that I can come across something real fun this next month (not likely). Also, the girlfriend doesn't understand the whole bunker thing.

Had some of the OF12yr in Dublin of all places recently. Solid pour, wish it was still around.

I remember one retailer in TX who wanted to charge secondary prices for limited bourbons. 

One day he accidentally underpriced a tequila I like by about $15/bottle.

I bought about 35.

If that's how he wants to play, that's how we play.

Have you ever posted pics of your Texas bunker? Must be impressive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.