What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Around here they sell OWA for $99!

20170921_180407-756x1008.jpg

How much was that ORVW?  That bottle is at least 3-4yrs old....I'm guessing $399?

39 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

How much was that ORVW?  That bottle is at least 3-4yrs old....I'm guessing $399?

$999!

8 hours ago, Clueby said:

$999!

Very expensive ORVW10 label, no?   :lol:

Edited by GeeTen

8 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

Wow.....just wow

That's why they still have it 3 years later. At $399 it would probably have eventually sold. 

2017 four roses small batch for $249

Elmer T Lee for $69

Blantons for $79

I did snag a Col E H Taylor small batch for $36

passed up:

forged oak $79  (probably shoulda bought this one)

blantons $79

WT decades  $129

WT 17yr $149

WT diamond $159

On 9/26/2017 at 8:09 PM, chappy6107 said:

passed on a W12 .  was $79.  what is the retail of this bottle?

Yeah, that's a little high for Weller 12. Think around Louisville, it's $50. But they fly off the shelf as soon as the store puts it out. Usually lasts a couple of hours.

On 9/26/2017 at 11:40 PM, gurgalunas said:

I passed on this one today @ $120.  LS owner said it was MPG juice, but I have no idea if he knows his stuff- he just bought the place.  His justification was "it's 11 yo rye.  Who else has that sitting around".  I didn't argue, just paid $25 for a baby Saz and left.

I don't think it's MGP rye, even when 90% of the rye whiskeys come from there. Believe Owl rye is a blend of a few rye whiskeys from KY. Don't think Bardstown Distillery/Dedmon Dixon disclosed their sourced rye. 

Passed up two bottles of 2017 ECBP "A" at a small liquor store in Northern Delaware...no room in my whiskey budget after picking up a bottle of the "B" when I was in KY a few weeks back!

Passed on 1.75 L Weller 12 at $42.99.  Great price and one of my favorites, but I have 1 open and 4 bunkered, so I left for the next guy.

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

It was really hard to restrain myself, but I passed this up today.

22119639_10104728332460810_1781987686_o.jpg

Was wondering when they were going to expand BTAC to include their most popular product, wondered how they would top perfection, clearly they heard what the people asked for and went with more perfection. 

On 9/27/2017 at 6:13 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I was up in Stevens Point the last time I saw Fleishman's. I've heard that it's okay, but also that it might not be quite as good as it used to be.

It has been a few years since I've tried that one and I remember it being a little weak at 80 proof but not bad, and pretty good for the price. But the nose was AMAZING! I could have just nosed the glass for the evening it was that good!

12 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Love how they have it sitting with Angry Orchard Cider...the mix of the two together is known as "Angry Balls" if my memory serves me correctly. ????

• I like it 1

I passed on a BT SiB that was in a local store that gets some allocated whiskey but they don't know anything about what they get. They are in an expensive zip code and I get the feeling the distributor misleads them about how to price the labels or sticks them with a high wholesale price. The bottle was $55. They didn't pick the barrel. They didn't even know what the sticker meant. They just know that they don't get any regular BT and they had three bottles with the PS sticker. 

Edited by Charlutz

48 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

No need to say why this was an insta pass.

IMG_0940.JPG

Wow! RHF is literally the only thing that's remotely hard to find that I can get at a decent price out here in CA. I paid 39 a month ago at totalwine.

47 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Wow! RHF is literally the only thing that's remotely hard to find that I can get at a decent price out here in CA. I paid 39 a month ago at totalwine.

It just showed back up in the past couple months in MO (where I'm pretty sure I know where Gorzo took that pic) but it was running in the mid to high $50s and some in the $60s. Even when it was plentiful 5+ years ago I remember it costing around $39 or higher. Seems like $39 would be close to cost on it.

• I like it 1

Visited a few stores today. Here is what I remember seeing at a few different locations:

Weller 12 - $179.99

OWA - $89.99

OWA - $39.99

Blood Oath - $149.99

Blood Oath - $159.99

ODG114 - $39.99

Hibiki 12 - $169.99

Sazerac - $449.99

Forged Oak - $159.99

Pappy 15 - $1,200

WSR - $34.99

Stagg Jr - $59.99

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

It just showed back up in the past couple months in MO (where I'm pretty sure I know where Gorzo took that pic) but it was running in the mid to high $50s and some in the $60s. Even when it was plentiful 5+ years ago I remember it costing around $39 or higher. Seems like $39 would be close to cost on it.

I will say that this store does have reasonable prices on a lot of items and pretty good offers in their VIP program. Don't want to come off totally negative, because there is definitely a reason I keep going back other than to bitch... that being said they treat there BT semi-allocated items like gold.  ER was $49.99

21 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I knew a redhead once ....

• I like it 1

My wife and I took a drive today just to get out of town for a while, and enjoy the nice day. We visited a couple of places, and of course we stopped at a couple of liquor stores too. One store had a Lot B, a ORVW 10, and a Weller 12 on the shelf behind the counter, mixed in with other various bottles. To say the least, I was a bit surprised. There was a cash register receipt/tag on the shelf that had the Weller 12, a Stagg Jr and a OF Signature on it. The price for the Weller 12 was $59.99, or so I thought. I asked if that was the correct price and the clerk said "Yes. Pretty good deal eh." I looked at him and asked "For the Weller 12?"  He said  " Oh no, no, no. For the set." I asked "The set?"  He said, "Yes. You have to buy all three." It was then that I noticed the price was $160.00 for all three. I didn't even bother to look to see what the prices were for the  "sets" with the ORVW 10 and Lot B. I just shook my head and walked out. <_<

Joe

Passed on just about everything today except a couple of mixer staples. However, the one that won't leave me alone is passing on some Booker's 2016-06 - Noe Hard Times for 51.99. That's a solid deal and I'm a dumbass for not grabbing at least 2. I have a feeling I'm going to try to right that wrong sometime soon - like tomorrow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.