What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 10/8/2017 at 10:45 PM, HoustonNit said:

The obvious accidental pass here is the ECBP at $59.99. I'm all over it at this price.

Just picked up several ECBPs (B517s) @ $49.99 OTD at my local TWs last week.  I did, however, see the same ECBPs (3) on the shelf for $54.99 at the Brevard, North Carolina ABC store over the weekend.  Don't know how TSA would appreciate BPs in my checked luggage, tho' . . . . . . . . .   :ph34r:

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Just picked up several ECBPs (B517s) @ $49.99 OTD at my local TWs last week.  I did, however, see the same ECBPs (3) on the shelf for $54.99 at the Brevard, North Carolina ABC store over the weekend.  Don't know how TSA would appreciate BPs in my checked luggage, tho' . . . . . . . . .   :ph34r:

As long as it's below 140 proof it's fine. Anything over 70%/140 is banned but otherwise you're good.

I passed up a row 6 deep of CEHT Single Barrel, I think the price was $59.99. I can get Small Batch for about $40 which i think is roughly as good so I don't bother with the SiB. Still interesting to see this many at a time though, usually I only see one or two here.

20171008_155900.jpg

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Huh, just picked up my 2017 OFBB lottery win yesterday for exactly half that price OTD!  Going to gift it to a good friend whose wife had a baby girl earlier this year.  Hope he can share it with her in 21 years.   :lol:

It didn't last a day at that price, which is remarkable considering I have bought multiple bottles of ETL, CEHT BP and a few others over the course of a few weeks/months as they sat on the shelf of the same place.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

It didn't last a day at that price, which is remarkable considering I have bought multiple bottles of ETL, CEHT BP and a few others over the course of a few weeks/months as they sat on the shelf of the same place.

As always, I'd rather be lucky than good!   :lol:

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Passed on this shelf. Sadly that is pretty much the norm here.

20171009_160213-1008x756.jpg

I saw this at one of their stores a few weeks. I likely won’t be going back in there. 

85429FD3-1BF2-4DA8-86B5-8985EB66ABDD.jpeg

Just picked up several ECBPs (B517s) @ $49.99 OTD at my local TWs last week.  I did, however, see the same ECBPs (3) on the shelf for $54.99 at the Brevard, North Carolina ABC store over the weekend.  Don't know how TSA would appreciate BPs in my checked luggage, tho' . . . . . . . . .   [emoji185]

I need your TW connections, nothing but crap here.

Passed up a PS of WA107 for $50, a PS BT for $28 and a PS FR OESV for $58. I will probably end up going back for the FR though. 

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

Passed on this shelf. Sadly that is pretty much the norm here.

20171009_160213-1008x756.jpg

I'm not seeing anything worth missing here. 

I’m watching the Nats and cubs and just saw a commercial for Tin Cup whiskey. I checked the ABC website and it’s listed for $32.99 and when looking at the reviews I see it’s a mostly a MGP product so I’ll pass.

26 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I'm not seeing anything worth missing here. 

Well I'm a huge fan of at least 3 on that shelf (ECBP, W12, RHF) but I'm not paying those ridiculous prices. As it is I still can't ever find ECBP under $70, RHF under $57, and I haven't seen a W12 for under $100 in YEARS. Welcome to St. Louis.

Just now, Clueby said:

Well I'm a huge fan of at least 3 on that shelf (ECBP, W12, RHF) but I'm not paying those ridiculous prices. As it is I still can't ever find ECBP under $70, RHF under $57, and I haven't seen a W12 for under $100 in YEARS. Welcome to St. Louis.

I agree they're enjoyable. But none of them are unicorns by any stretch. 

Only at this silly point in whiskey history would these end up behind glass.

My point is there is a lot of other stuff to enjoy at this quality level that isn't held hostage.

These LS owners remind me of my fave Bukowski quote "Let them have the stage, so long as I need not be in the audience"

Let them have their glass cases, so long as I need not be a customer.

...and we really need not be their customers.

1 minute ago, The Black Tot said:

Let them have their glass cases, so long as I need not be a customer.

...and we really need not be their customers.

Exactly! Every liquor store I've been in has been packed to the gills with bourbons of various tastes and prices.  There is way too much on the shelf to walk away thirsty.

35 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I’m watching the Nats and cubs and just saw a commercial for Tin Cup whiskey. I checked the ABC website and it’s listed for $32.99 and when looking at the reviews I see it’s a mostly a MGP product so I’ll pass.

I saw this ad also. Also a pass. Suppose it's a good thing though. Imagine the shortages if Weller advertised!

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Huh, just picked up my 2017 OFBB lottery win yesterday for exactly half that price OTD!  Going to gift it to a good friend whose wife had a baby girl earlier this year.  Hope he can share it with her in 21 years.   :lol:

Nice one Gee. Pretty cool gesture.

Joe

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

My point is there is a lot of other stuff to enjoy at this quality level that isn't held hostage.

I get what you are saying except possibly that line above. I don't know much of any whiskey at the quality level of ECBP that is readily available at anywhere approaching it's price (which for me has been $65-$70 for the last few years).

I do have and enjoy a lot of other pours but I miss the days when if I wanted something better...a lot better...I could go to the store and buy it for something close to it's MSRP.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

I get what you are saying except possibly that line above. I don't know much of any whiskey at the quality level of ECBP that is readily available at anywhere approaching it's price (which for me has been $65-$70 for the last few years).

I do have and enjoy a lot of other pours but I miss the days when if I wanted something better...a lot better...I could go to the store and buy it for something close to it's MSRP.

Store picks of KCSB, 4R, or Russell's Reserves? 

1 minute ago, The Black Tot said:

Store picks of KCSB, 4R, or Russell's Reserves? 

I've had some of all of those. I currently have a store pick of KCSB that is AWESOME but it still is nowhere near the flavor bomb of an ECBP..at least to me.

I know it's almost blasphemy on this forum but I've never been able to join the 4R cult. The only 4R I've had that has really blown my skirt up was the Al Young and that was mostly the nose. I admit I haven't tried any of the other recent SmBLEs but I've had the regular SmB, SB, and 3 or 4 PS recipes and again not even close for me.

Access and pricing for most BT stuff has gotten a lot better over the last 6 to 9 months or so except for Weller and anything CEHT above Single Barrel. I've never even seen a bottle of BP in person. Local access to ECBP has improved slightly but the pricing still remains silly.

I'm just still missing the old days I guess. Anyway..im done ranting.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

I've had some of all of those. I currently have a store pick of KCSB that is AWESOME but it still is nowhere near the flavor bomb of an ECBP..at least to me.

I know it's almost blasphemy on this forum but I've never been able to join the 4R cult. The only 4R I've had that has really blown my skirt up was the Al Young and that was mostly the nose. I admit I haven't tried any of the other recent SmBLEs but I've had the regular SmB, SB, and 3 or 4 PS recipes and again not even close for me.

Access and pricing for most BT stuff has gotten a lot better over the last 6 to 9 months or so except for Weller and anything CEHT above Single Barrel. I've never even seen a bottle of BP in person. Local access to ECBP has improved slightly but the pricing still remains silly.

I'm just still missing the old days I guess. Anyway..im done ranting.

No worries Clueby. We're on the same side.

Next time I see some ECBP on a shelf (it's happened a few times last year), I'll pick it up for you. Promise.

^^^^We're all on the same side, but it's worth mentioning that 'the good old days' weren't really all that good.

Anyone else remember when OGD114 came out?  What about Booker's?  The reason I mention this is because prior to OGD, there was no such thing as a high and/or barrel proof flavor bomb in the market.  Antique collection anyone?  Oh, sorry, no such thing!  Pappiez anyone, oh...never mind... 

The moral to this story is...I'll take today over the good old days (i.e. glass 1/2 full)! 

• I like it 1

On 10/8/2017 at 10:25 PM, 0895 said:

I dunno.

Just having that bottle might be worth it...

Nope...

Edited by JTaylor
Discussion on Lusty Claw...

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

No worries Clueby. We're on the same side.

Next time I see some ECBP on a shelf (it's happened a few times last year), I'll pick it up for you. Promise.

I saw ECBP B517 being used in a decorative display... like 6 or 8 bottles. Not to mention the multiples on the shelf. I don't know the bottling numbers, but this batch seems to be much more prevalent than past batches... Trying to find the 136° was like looking for hen's teeth.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:10 PM, FasterHorses said:

Proud to say i just passed on Lusty Claw. Didnt even ask the price.

You'll forever be envious of those of us who immediately saw this one-of-a-kind bottling treatment and therefore knew the obvious quality of the distillate within... and will forever have that fabulous bottle and closure to show all who see it how lucky we were!   ...And what foresight we had to scoop it up before all of 'em were gone.     Now, the value of the flavor and aroma contained therein are, of course, subject to the differences among palates and preferences. . . :rolleyes:

Go ahead and ask how many of us are lucky enough to own one  . . .   Or don't....

• I like it 2

Passed on OFBB offered to me at one of my least favorite liquor stores for the low, low price of $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.