What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying is definitely not the word I would use for it...

I bought a bottle of WT Diamond some years back and never opened it after reading reviews.  Lately I'd been looking at it and thinking what if the reviews were wrong?  What if it's just a palate difference?  Maybe if I open and try it I'll find it's outstanding bourbon??

Well... it's not...

I'm trying to mix it with water now but still no help in fact I'm beginning to think it was a waste of the water :) 

• I like it 1

Ending the evening with some 4R  ‘14 SiB, really enjoying this one. 

Cheers!

Will.

25 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^Hop are you a WT guy?

No and I have tried many times to make sure :) I do like some expressions RRSB, WTKS, the MK releases, and 1998... but 101, RB, just are not in my wheelhouse

No and I have tried many times to make sure [emoji4] I do like some expressions RRSB, WTKS, the MK releases, and 1998... but 101, RB, just are not in my wheelhouse

Ok I know a place that has been sitting on this have considered making them an offer on it, I seem to like all WT expressions.

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok I know a place that has been sitting on this have considered making them an offer on it, I seem to like all WT expressions.

If you were local you could have the rest of this one gratis

"New" Weller SR for me tonight, but.......

On Wednesday night at our bourbon/cigar group get together, we had a few different things. :) We had some MM, MM46 and Bakers from the bar. Along with that, some of us brought samples to share. I brought a ps BT, two guys brought mystery whiskies, (both of which we think were HH6 BIB :huh:), and one guy brought some Bull Run American Whiskey. The ps BT that I brought was very  good, and everyone really liked it. But, the surprise of the night was the Bull Run. It's from the Bull Run Distillery in Oregon, 100 proof, aged 10 years in used barrels, then aged another 15 months  in Pinot Noir casks. I looked on their website, (http://bullrundistillery.com/spirits/pinot-noir-finished-american-whiskey) and it's listed there. I also checked in Scott's (CorvallisCracker) book, Distilled In Oregon. He does mention the Bull Run Distillery, but this product probably came out after he did all the research for his book. I must say that this was a pretty darned good whiskey, and I might even buy a bottle depending on the price. 

Cheers! Joe

Enjoying some HMK10 by the fire on a nice fall evening. Think this one is becoming my go to sipper. 

Having a pour of W12 from the bottle I've been nursing for 1.5 years since I finally got some more today.

20171020_214253-756x1008.jpg

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Having a pour of W12 from the bottle I've been nursing for 1.5 years since I finally got some more today.

Do a side by side of the old vs. new batch before the old bottle is killed. Not a totally even test due to air time in the old one, but still always interesting. There are often batch differences, particularly when spaced out over so much time (old label period vs present)

• I like it 1

EC small batch for my goal of killing a few bottles soon. following that with some stagg jr batch 5 for the goal of extra delicious bourbon and great sleep.

Had another Rowan's Creek vat with a splash of EC21. (Bottle kill exercise). Not bad, but the HMcK10yr I followed it with tasted like the nectar of the gods in comparison.

First pour from my HMcK10. 

Rich, has buttery viscosity   

Even has a little butterscotch thing going on. Medium spicy finish. 

Looking forward to the next pour of this bottle. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Had another Rowan's Creek vat with a splash of EC21. (Bottle kill exercise). Not bad, but the HMcK10yr I followed it with tasted like the nectar of the gods in comparison.

Interesting to read your coments on these.

1.  The first Rowan's I ever tried (2012 wax top batch) tasted just like Barton 1792 (Good!)

2.  The second Rowan's I ever tasted / bought (2013 wax top batch) tasted like some mixed together swill crap soaked in big red gum (Bad).

3.  The first and only time I ever tried EC21 (June 2017), I was sorely disappointed.  Tasted like wet sawdust and dirt (Bad).

4.  The first and only time I've had HMcK10 was last week at a bar (2012 bottle with the fake green velvet and wire bottled in bond tag) and it was Freaking awesome!

Guess I'm just saying that its nice to finally have someone's palate agree with mine for a change.

:)

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Interesting to read your coments on these.

1.  The first Rowan's I ever tried (2012 wax top batch) tasted just like Barton 1792 (Good!)

2.  The second Rowan's I ever tasted / bought (2013 wax top batch) tasted like some mixed together swill crap soaked in big red gum (Bad).

3.  The first and only time I ever tried EC21 (June 2017), I was sorely disappointed.  Tasted like wet sawdust and dirt (Bad).

4.  The first and only time I've had HMcK10 was last week at a bar (2012 bottle with the fake green velvet and wire bottled in bond tag) and it was Freaking awesome!

Guess I'm just saying that its nice to finally have someone's palate agree with mine for a change.

:)

Haha! Yes, it's always good to find others experiencing the same qualities as you. It validates what you taste.

Your second Rowan's with the Big Red gum swill - I get that flavor a lot in too young whiskey coming out of those rick houses at KBD/Willett.

One word of warning about HMcK10 - it's a single barrel and will be different from barrel to barrel. When you find a great one, go back for more. Most of us here have had some just OK barrels in between the great ones.

Starting the day right. Also extremely reasonable on the price.

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.f87dd97b6403d33624f17665311da3bf.jpg

Slumming today, DN1843 highball. Hey I gotta do something with this stuff.

Not that there's anything wrong with a highball but is DN1843 that bad? It's HH and I really like Luxco RY10.

Maybe you're not a wheater guy.

We drink some George T Stagg while watching the UK football game.
3f534d68fb7a36d3ed9ada82a2ab340f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

We drink some George T Stagg while watching the UK football game.
3f534d68fb7a36d3ed9ada82a2ab340f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You dirty &*^%##!!!

Edited by FasterHorses

Two weeks down, four to go in Reston, VA (apparently home of the original Bowman distillery way back when).  Hotel bar has a decent enough selection, but most of them I have on my own bar and I usually try to get something I DON'T have when I'm out and about.  I haven't had many pours lately but when I have, I've gone with WT101.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.