What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having a pour that’s close to a 3:2 ratio of BT:SJR. A roughly 105 Proof BT is really nice. 

Had a HW Bourye 2017 batch. Amazing stuff. It tastes exactly like what you'd expect, a bourbon amped up with an extra serving of rye spice. I am getting a bottle of my own on sight.

Now having a KC 25th, 121.7 proof. Underwhelming. To me this doesn't taste like KC or Beam at all. Very tannic, dry, with an uncomfortable ethanol bite. It's not a dull, flavorless whiskey; there is a lot of clove, caramel, and dr pepperiness(?) going on, but it is not what I wanted when I ordered a KC/Beam. I've had much better KCSBs than this.

Had a family wedding this weekend.  Got to try Bakers at the Rehersal dinner on Friday and enjoyed several glasses neat.

The wedding on Saturday had BT at the bar, and a bartender that poured 6+ oz when ordered neat.  Actually said "tell me when to stop" a few times...

Tonight, hosted a bonfire party for my wife's employees.  Set out W12, Blanton's, and ECBP.  All were a hit...

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

To celebrate the Astros making the world series, I'm breaking out the good stuff.  Go 'Stros!

20171022_200813.jpg

Although I am a Rangers fan, I will say that I am pumped up for the Astros, and cheered when they won last night. As an aside, I have always hated the Yankees, so doubly glad!

• I like it 1

Enjoying a pour of OGD114.  I like this bourbon, but I have to be in the mood for it.  Definitely not an every day drinker for me.

David Nicholson 1843.  As a wheated, it reminds me of my youth - all Hot Ralston cereal with cream and sugar.  Made by me.  So, that burnt wheat taste in there . . .

At least I don't have to scrub the pot by hand.:rolleyes:

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

To celebrate the Astros making the world series, I'm breaking out the good stuff.  Go 'Stros!

20171022_200813.jpg

That there is some good stuff.

• I like it 2

That there is some good stuff.

Steve, I'm having some good stuff this evening too...and I think you know what it is! [emoji12][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Steve, I'm having some good stuff this evening too...and I think you know what it is! emoji12.pngemoji106.png

Right now you are trolling me with some Dickel aren't you? Haha!

Right now you are trolling me with some Dickel aren't you? Haha!

Well, just like that WT12, it has a 12 in the name too...of course it's No.12 instead of 12 yrs. When I saw your comment on the WT12, I thought about what I was drinking and knew you'd make the connection with my comment. [emoji471]

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

As an aside, I have always hated the Yankees, so doubly glad!

Truth. ;)

On 10/21/2017 at 4:10 PM, HoustonNit said:

Not that there's anything wrong with a highball but is DN1843 that bad? It's HH and I really like Luxco RY10.

Maybe you're not a wheater guy.

Your post got me to thinking that maybe I was a tad too hasty in my judgement of said wheater.  Tried it neat yesterday and for the first time I got a taste of grass. It was actually pretty tasty. Thanks.

Your post got me to thinking that maybe I was a tad too hasty in my judgement of said wheater.  Tried it neat yesterday and for the first time I got a taste of grass. It was actually pretty tasty. Thanks.

Cool, if you ended up not liking it's ok to not be a wheater fan.

You might to give OWA another chance with your now with your lower expectations. It's one my favorite daily pour type bourbons.
  • I like it 1

While watching the Patriots vs. Falcons game last night I enjoyed a very healthy pour of EC.  My bottle is one that is age stated on the back.  Got one more handle of it that is age stated.  After that I don't know what I'm going to do.

Some more of my DN 1843.  Guess I'm in a wheat cereal mood.  Today it hit me with brown sugar.

EDIT - Just remembered Skins play the Iggles in Philly tonight.  Better pace myself - I'd hate to fall asleep and miss the game.:rolleyes:

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Oh, yeah. Monday Night Football.

I hope I don't get any flack for this (because Henry McKenna 10 year seems to be a favorite around here). But I just had my second pour from my bottle (picture was before my pour) and it was.... Interesting... It started out calm with a slow showing/lingering burn, then as time went on it became harsh on the attack. Eventually after about 10 mins in the glass, it was pretty "flat".

I'm going to keep coming back to this and may even buy another bottle from another barrel to give it another chance. But so far, I'm unimpressed... And I wanted to like it soooooooo bad!

Cheers!

IMG_1324.JPG

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I hope I don't get any flack for this (because Henry McKenna 10 year seems to be a favorite around here). But I just had my second pour from my bottle (picture was before my pour) and it was.... Interesting... It started out calm with a slow showing/lingering burn, then as time went on it became harsh on the attack. Eventually after about 10 mins in the glass, it was pretty "flat".

I'm going to keep coming back to this and may even buy another bottle from another barrel to give it another chance. But so far, I'm unimpressed... And I wanted to like it soooooooo bad!

Cheers!

I am with you on this.  I have only tried one bottle so far, so I will give a different barrel a try, but I did not find it to be something I would want to reach for.

54 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Cheers!

IMG_1324.JPG

In my experience there’s a fair bit of variation with McKenna. I’ve had bottles ranging from just OK to excellent. I’d say median bottle is very good. 

^^^^Don't feel bad.  I've also had what I felt was a 'bad' bottle (once).  The good thing is...the next one I purchased ended up being a home run!   

• I like it 1

Heaven Hill BIBs/age stated 100+ proof bottom shelf goodness.

Haven't got to the FC6yr yet but it's remarkable how much difference there is in the EW to HH BIB. The EW is much sweeter and has a strong vanilla/leather taste and nose. The HH6yr taste much older than the age statement much less sweet and a good amount of oak. I think for me I prefer the HH but if your not an oak guy and like vanilla there's nothing wrong with taking EW over HH. Also based on the day I might prefer HH.

Had JW Dant BIB before, it had a weird mustiness like my Grandma's basement that I didn't like. It's remarkable how HH can have such different variations for brands that are the same mashbill and similar ages.

eb9c129e0451be99b358079ef2155331.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.