What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

I was gonna post my drink of choice tonight BUT after Joe's near heaven line up mine would be so...average and BORING 

Sorry FP.  What can I say?  Ninety nine times out of a hundred, Monday’s almost always suck for me. Starting a week out on a positive note is pretty much venturing into unknown territory. :huh:  I gotta run with it while I can. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

A couple bottles left at the local for this one. May have to snag one more seeing as how the bottle is about to change. 

E5FADBC0-8783-4144-B0DC-6C1EFCA2FFC4.jpeg

I've had a bottle of New Holland's Beer Barrel Bourbon open for a long time. It's been years since I've had a pour... after having a one tonight I remember why. 

Four roses tonight.

OESK.

Gift shop bottle from 2016.

Half gone....getting really good now that air is working its magic.

IMAG3153.jpg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 3

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Some SJR:C101 blend tonight.

20180312_212525-1209x1612.jpg

I'm not sure how this makes me feel. Initially, not good but I've never had Charter 101 before. So why these 2 and how is it?

2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I'm not sure how this makes me feel. Initially, not good but I've never had Charter 101 before. So why these 2 and how is it?

I didn't "invent" it. It was a blend on SB that I found.  SJ:C101 = 2:1.

The Charter 101 softens the edge of the SJ a bit and adds some sweetness. I like it better than adding water to SJ to proof it down. 

Why would blending bourbons make you feel "not good"?:huh:

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The Charter 101 softens the edge of the SJ a bit and adds some sweetness. I like it better than adding water to SJ to proof it down. 

If I ever find some Charter 101 I’ll give this blend a try. I thoroughly enjoy a blend of SJR and BT. I need to do a sbs with it 1:1 vs EHTSmB. Gotta love that mashbill #1.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I've tried blending bourbons and enjoyed them. I just really like Stagg Jr, and in my local market it's practically a unicorn. I'm unfamiliar with Charter 101 but had the impression it was bottom shelf. I didn't know it was the same mashbill and a BT product too. Chalk it up to the newbness.

C101 is a caramel bomb to me and drinks below its proof.  I guess it is technically a bottom shelfer.  It is available in Illinois but lately I've only been able to find it in plastic traveler bottles. SJ  isn't exactly a unicorn around here but it's not too common either. 

A combination of the 2 takes a little bit of the heat out of the SJ but doesn't change the profile all that much.

Shared a few pours last night with my son-in-law.     ...From a bottle of EWSB '07, that was among the better ones of that Vintage I've run across.  

We refer to it as; "The Devil's Barrel", since it's from Barrel #666.   HA!   :o

It's very nice, with a slightly sweeter, and nuttier (nut-meggier?) profile than most of the EWSB, and a rich and wonderful nose.    :P

A hell of a lot of flavor from only 86.6-proof.    As always, I wish these were bottled at around 10-proof points higher.   ;)

I'll keep working on those barrel proofers, because MA is truly screwed this time around. The worst blizzard in years, no power expected for days. I don't think anybody's moving anywhere soon. Keep drinking.

OF 1920 and ECBP.

• I like it 1

This started out with an incredibly bitter and unpleasant finish but after a few weeks had turned into a brilliantly complex caramel bomb. Might have to pick up another.

20180313_224016.jpg

• I like it 2

HWMWND for me tonight, to sooth my sore aching shoulder from digging out all day. (18-20 inches of snow) Hits the spot, felling better already.

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, Dango said:

HWMWND for me tonight, to sooth my sore aching shoulder from digging out all day. (18-20 inches of snow) Hits the spot, felling better already.

I don't know why y'all do it. For me half pours of OE7, HMK10, Stagg jr batch 8 & ECBP B517. 

• I like it 1

Continuing the 4R theme for the second night.

OESF store pick tonight.

Very herbal with slight nuttiness at the end.  This one is really on some days and really off on others.  Tonight it's riding the middle of the road for me.

IMAG3154.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, El Vino said:

That the new pick from Bayway?

I think it was a year or so ago, it was the first one they did when the MMPS program first started. To be honest it isn't really my thing, I just don't get along well with Makers, that one might be my last bottle for a long while. 

F8033294-A743-443B-B259-955A67C26133.thumb.jpeg.889c1aeacd0663dcc1cd647727965e69.jpeg

Opened this recently, very happy about it, keeps getting better and better. 

Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 4

On 3/12/2018 at 7:02 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

To quote Yul Brenner/Ramses in Ben Hur. "So let it be written, so let it be done."  Yes I did.  ^_^

FWIW, all my pours were good, but the last pour of the 07 WLW was especially noteworthy. As in others past, it was rich, thick and chewy. Sighhhhhhh. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

wm.jpeg

Ya had too much Weller there Joe.  That quote is from the 10 Commandments, not Ben Hur.  Wouldn't want you going around spouting off incorrect quotes.  You're welcome.

• I like it 1

Cracked open today's pick-ups (WTKS and HW Bourye LS), and benchmarked against an older WTKS.  Unfortunately the spring air is wrecking my palate, so not enjoying to their potential, but enjoying what I can.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.