What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

RIP to Flahute, Bayouredd, and DCFan. We will resuscitate you all with your bourbon of choice when your respective time comes. 

Take care of that wife of yours and good luck. I had this flu in January and I did not have a good couple weeks.

• I like it 2

This one is for those that aren't.

ETL to warm up and polish the palette, then RHF, and a Weller Antique 107 (to compare with VBT guess)

:D

This is gonna be a good Saturday Night!

Was at a friends house earlier tonight and before we partook of some really nice ribeyes we had a pour of WT Forgiven.  Very tasty.

I’ve been fighting a head cold for over week, so my palate has been way off. I was excited to have a pour of WT101, but it was drinking a little hot. A mini dram of EC12 turned into a nice pour since it hit the spot. 
130061DB-2AAC-4184-A420-6D4E9B370FE5.thumb.jpeg.30d77e770c329b461d112c7bdebfe99b.jpeg
I had the flu for about 2 weeks, which meant no bourbon for a bit. When I decided to have some, I found it too strong and gross, especially the barrel proof ones. Somehow me being sick changed the flavor profile for bourbons I used to like. Now I know how my wife felt when she tries my bourbon lol.

It took a few days for my palate to return to normal. Now it tastes good again. That's never happened before.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying some wtrb. I'm not a fan of the new bottling. I prefer the old style better. fc52d842310a31b2c5d28c5cb89018bc.jpg

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, reeko said:

I'm enjoying some wtrb. I'm not a fan of the new bottling. I prefer the old style better. fc52d842310a31b2c5d28c5cb89018bc.jpg

I did the WT tour shortly after the bottle change started - myself and others on the tour made the same remark, and the guides said we were not the first to express that....

• I like it 1

^^^^I don't have a problem with the new bottle, but I do have a problem with the label.  I miss the 'old' labels with the beautiful, colorful gobbler's on them. 

On topic, I did have a nice pour of the 'old batch'/112 RB this evening.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, reeko said:

Me too!

maybe not a true "dusty" but had a pour of vintage 2012 WT101 at a local restaurant, we we're sitting at the bar and I immediately noticed the label. maybe my palate just isn't yet refined enough, or maybe there isn't a perceptible difference between Turkey from 2012 and today but I couldn't tell a difference. still good stuff though, with that pepper kick and funk on the finish.

• I like it 1

Heaven Hill BIB. Bought a case a couple of weeks ago for $11.99 a bottle. 

This is probably limited availability. I really like some of their stuff, like cask strength. This one is 90 proof. While not huge flavor or personality, it's quite smooth and tastes well made. You can taste the 8 years. Nice effort. Love the bottle! Not worth the 50 dollars. But it is good. If it were 35 or so I would by again. 

image.jpg

Trying some Grandpa Weller's 4 grain for the first time (I like it) in my brand new Glencairn glass.

brought a flask of Elmer to a birthday party today, but it was hard to open it when I had the opportunity to have  the Tenn Honey they had available for our pleasure.

33 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

3 hours of The Bachelor calls for a stiff pour.

THREE HOURS!!!!????    How can you even sniff a Stagg, Jr,?      I'd be fast asleep, with no help whatsoever from Bourbon, after about a half-hour.

• I like it 2

OGD BIB, this black capped bottle has one pour left and has been a good one.

Took this wild turkey wandering outside my office in Atlanta as a sign from a higher power . . . so poured some WTKS when I got home.  Delicious (and a fine excuse for a Monday pour!)

IMG_20180305_094740.thumb.jpg.86c5ffd55927a603c83dca83bbbd6057.jpg

• I like it 2

On 3/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, socalkid said:

maybe not a true "dusty" but had a pour of vintage 2012 WT101 at a local restaurant, we we're sitting at the bar and I immediately noticed the label. maybe my palate just isn't yet refined enough, or maybe there isn't a perceptible difference between Turkey from 2012 and today but I couldn't tell a difference. still good stuff though, with that pepper kick and funk on the finish.

Maybe just because I'm a WT freak, but I think 2012-14 was a particular low point for WT101. I would implore you to try and find a 2017 bottling because all the ones I've tried have been fantastic. Same goes for the 101 rye, the newest bottlings have been leagues beyond where they were after first reintroducing it a few years back. Pretty much any of their whiskey in that label you're describing is going to be quite a bit younger than normal, but I still went through many, many, and even a few more bottles during that period.

• I like it 1

Was in Austin, TX yesterday having lunch with a swimming official friend and his wife at the Capital Grille.  Talked to the barman about his bourbon and he mentioned that they just had a Pappy charity dinner last week and had some stuff left over.  He called the manager over and we chatted for a few minutes.  Then I mentioned that I had the manager from the Burlington, MA Capital Grille (where I have my wine locker) call him for our luncheon reservation.  Austin CG manager says, "Oh, you're the one!". 

So he goes to the office and brings out a bottle of PVW15 and I say "That's my favorite of the bunch that was bottled last year.  The CG guys all smile and say "Yup, ours too."  Manager says I have to charge you for a pour, tho'.  So I say "How much?"  He says "$45 ok?"  I say "Sure, no problem" as I try to act real cool.  He nods to the barman with a smile and I get a VERY generous "wide 2 finger pour" that was absolutely fabulous.  And I even shared some with my friends (some)!  :D

• I like it 5

6 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Was in Austin, TX yesterday having lunch with a swimming official friend and his wife at the Capital Grille.  Talked to the barman about his bourbon and he mentioned that they just had a Pappy charity dinner last week and had some stuff left over.  He called the manager over and we chatted for a few minutes.  Then I mentioned that I had the manager from the Burlington, MA Capital Grille (where I have my wine locker) call him for our luncheon reservation.  Austin CG manager says, "Oh, you're the one!". 

So he goes to the office and brings out a bottle of PVW15 and I say "That's my favorite of the bunch that was bottled last year.  The CG guys all smile and say "Yup, ours too."  Manager says I have to charge you for a pour, tho'.  So I say "How much?"  He says "$45 ok?"  I say "Sure, no problem" as I try to act real cool.  He nods to the barman with a smile and I get a VERY generous "wide 2 finger pour" that was absolutely fabulous.  And I even shared some with my friends (some)!  :D

I had you pegged for an elitist GT. Now with your Pappy, CG Wine Locker, and international travel schedule I know you're the man.

:ph34r:

And of course JUST KIDDING! 

I'm having a couple of pours from a dusty bottle of JW Dant BIB. Carry over from BIB day. :P

Biba! Joe

So he goes to the office and brings out a bottle of PVW15 and I say "That's my favorite of the bunch that was bottled last year.  The CG guys all smile and say "Yup, ours too."  Manager says I have to charge you for a pour, tho'.  So I say "How much?"  He says "$45 ok?"  I say "Sure, no problem" as I try to act real cool.  He nods to the barman with a smile and I get a VERY generous "wide 2 finger pour" that was absolutely fabulous.  And I even shared some with my friends (some)!  [emoji3]

I had you pegged for an elitist GT. Now with your Pappy, CG Wine Locker, and international travel schedule I know you're the man.
[emoji185]
And of course JUST KIDDING! 

GeeTen, Everyone knows FacePlant by name at our local CG, so the two of you could definitely relate with one another...except for the wine thing. [emoji6]

5 hours ago, Surtur said:

Maybe just because I'm a WT freak, but I think 2012-14 was a particular low point for WT101. I would implore you to try and find a 2017 bottling because all the ones I've tried have been fantastic. Same goes for the 101 rye, the newest bottlings have been leagues beyond where they were after first reintroducing it a few years back. Pretty much any of their whiskey in that label you're describing is going to be quite a bit younger than normal, but I still went through many, many, and even a few more bottles during that period.

i havent had any 2017 bottles but the one i did have was from 2016 but i'm enjoying a recent Elijah Craig Small Batch a little bit more for about the same price, ie, $22 for the WT101 vs $24 for the EC...  i'll keep sipping WT though that's for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.