What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, emr454 said:

Nice glass! Those guys are an entertaining pair to watch

They are great, i love those guys. 

Cheers! 

Will.

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

All three are from the same mashbill, but slightly different ages; bottled at different proofs and probably aged in different rickhouse locations. The EC12 was a great bourbon for my tastes. Some of the current EC NAS private store barrel picks are pretty good, but generally still not as good as the old EC12. Fortunately, I have a lot of EC12 stored away in my liquor closet. The Henry McKenna SB and EWSB can vary since they are always single barrels, but if you find a “honey barrel” as Harry likes to call them, they can go from being just pretty good to wonderful.

yep, that's why i picked up this EC and the EWSB this weekend after loving that Henry McKenna...  the HMK goes for around $30-33 here and can be spotty locating a bottle unless i wanna trek 30 min to Total Wine, whereas both the EC and EWSB are low $20's and i can get all day. knowing the similarities between the 3 i wanted to see if either the EC or EWSB could act as a "daily" to guard my stash of HMK, and at least based on this one bottle of EC, so far that's the winner. like i said earlier, and granted its a limited sample, still enjoyed that EWSB but for sure the EC more.

2 hours ago, socalkid said:

yep, that's why i picked up this EC and the EWSB this weekend after loving that Henry McKenna...  the HMK goes for around $30-33 here and can be spotty locating a bottle unless i wanna trek 30 min to Total Wine, whereas both the EC and EWSB are low $20's and i can get all day. knowing the similarities between the 3 i wanted to see if either the EC or EWSB could act as a "daily" to guard my stash of HMK, and at least based on this one bottle of EC, so far that's the winner. like i said earlier, and granted its a limited sample, still enjoyed that EWSB but for sure the EC more.

I'm a huge fan on HMK10. Luckily I can find it in every ABC store and during certain months it's only $27. I would agree the EC is more similar in profile then the EWSB. The EWSB is a lot sweeter, to me. 

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, Fishin49er said:

I'm a huge fan on HMK10. Luckily I can find it in every ABC store and during certain months it's only $27. I would agree the EC is more similar in profile then the EWSB. The EWSB is a lot sweeter, to me. 

i think what was most noticeable to me was the EWSB just didn't have any kick on the palate. maybe thats because its the lowest ABV of the 3, maybe just the barrel i got, the style HH is going for, etc...  maybe all 3? i dont know if id say the EC Small Batch was less sweet than the EWSB (need to do a SBS). but it just had more of a backbone and for me, better structure. i enjoyed the flavors, but the EWSB comes off as kinda flabby in comparison to the EC or HMK.

This ER10 PS is simply excellent. Been working it for about 2 months. Gets better with every visit. I'm glad I have another. 

ER10PS.jpg.19e8b98486336f5b66ca50bf7b7974c8.jpg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Starting this lovely Friday with some High West American Prairie.  

Well, Happy Trails To You, my boy! 

You're too young to know that this is Roy Rogers' theme song, I know; but, it's apropos, since your drinking this 'cowboy' brand..

• I like it 1

I'm having a couple of pours of some dusty DSP-KY2/16 JW Dant BIB this evening. Ahhhhhhh....... :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I’ve been fighting a head cold for over week, so my palate has been way off. I was excited to have a pour of WT101, but it was drinking a little hot. A mini dram of EC12 turned into a nice pour since it hit the spot. 

130061DB-2AAC-4184-A420-6D4E9B370FE5.jpeg

• I like it 2

Drinking down the last of the CEHTSmB all alone in my room that I brought to Tejas - the animals almost finished the bottle last night (those pigs!).   :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

and???

The ‘14 (old label) has the edge but has been open for about 4 months. Really like the ‘savannah’ pick but it needs to open up some. 

A friend invited me over for some smoked Oxtail, Minor Case Rye Sherry Cask Finished, OGD, and a sample of a soon to be released product from a unnamed NDP.  Minor Case was my favorite tonite, with the OGD bringing up the rear. Will have to retry with a cube.

enhance

13 minutes ago, brock957 said:

EW BIB AND SOME Borkum Riff in a Savinelli Bruna 207.

20180302_205941.jpg

20180302_210508.jpg

Wow!    That reference to Borkum Riff brought back some delicious memories to my olfactory, and eventually to my slower brain.  

It's been about 30-years since I smoked it for the last time.    I recall the smooth, clean-and-slow-burning, lovely aromatic tobacco as one of my top couple faves way back then.   :P

Thanx for that, brock957!

• I like it 1

I had my first taste of this last night. Pretty good. Seemed to drink well below the 116 proof (I liked that) but had some bitterness on the finish (didn't dig that so much). Look forward to exploring this more. 

20180303_101608.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

I had my first taste of this last night. Pretty good. Seemed to drink well below the 116 proof (I liked that) but had some bitterness on the finish (didn't dig that so much). Look forward to exploring this more. 

20180303_101608.jpg

I opened my first bottle of WTRB too last night. Loved it. Drank great for 116 Proof. I’m a big fan. 

• I like it 2

As of March 1 I have had nothing in my glass. I've chosen March to be a sober month. I'm looking to re-set my palate and lose some weight. The only exception will be a barrel pick I'm doing next week then it's back on the wagon. 

I will live vicariously through you all the next 4 weeks!

• I like it 3

48 minutes ago, flahute said:

As of March 1 I have had nothing in my glass. I've chosen March to be a sober month. I'm looking to re-set my palate and lose some weight. The only exception will be a barrel pick I'm doing next week then it's back on the wagon. 

Well, not for the same reason, but I have given up bourbon for Lent. It doesn't make it any easier one way or another. Just remember, this doesn't mean you can't share your knowledge with the rest of us. Good Luck...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I took my wife to urgent care last weekend with the flu. She got the full dose tamiflu treatment and I got the half dose 10 treatment as a preventative. So I’m with you but not by choice.

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I took my wife to urgent care last weekend with the flu. She got the full dose tamiflu treatment and I got the half dose 10 treatment as a preventative. So I’m with you but not by choice.

Oooooooff.........take care of yourself and stay healthy DC! That's rough.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.