CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon

Winter starts tomorrow.  Just getting the topic ready.

smokinjoe

Just, stop.  

4rosesfan

Passed on a Michter's Celebration at $4500; just a little outta my price range.

DCFan

I passed on everything because I drove right by the store and didn’t even look in that direction. :P

Jfletchgu

I know its a terrible idea to walk into a liquor store when your on a bourbon buying hiatis, but I did it. Im happy to report that I remained strong and walked out with no bourbon. I did pass up a bunch of Stagg Jr at 59.99 which I probably would be a buyer at any other time. On a side note I got the wife a 6 dollar bottle of wine which hopefully scored me a couple points with her.

skidfive

Passed on GTS and Handy at....... $899.     Wow

Bourbon Fanatic

Passed on WSR @ $70, OWA107 @ $100 & CEHT SmB @ $100.

Seriously?

Dango
5 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Passed on WSR @ $70, OWA107 @ $100 & CEHT SmB @ $100.

Seriously?

Wow, unbelievable. I am so happy to live where I live. Don't much gouging like that.

miller542

Passed up Little Book and Yellowstone 2017 LE (plus many other of the usual suspects).  Just no interest in either of these, even if they were half the $80 and $100 asking price.  Also passed up OF 1920 and 1792 High Rye, just never liked any of the 1792 offerings since they dropped the age statement and changed the packaging.

Edited by miller542

skidfive

Yes,  that is $2999.99

20171222_114917.jpg

DeepCover

I passed on the latest release of Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon for $209 (MSRP mind you). This release is 5 or 6 years, but better bourbon can be had for $20.

kevinbrink
7 hours ago, miller542 said:

Passed up Little Book and Yellowstone 2017 LE (plus many other of the usual suspects).  Just no interest in either of these, even if they were half the $80 and $100 asking price.  Also passed up OF 1920 and 1792 High Rye, just never liked any of the 1792 offerings since they dropped the age statement and changed the packaging.

At half the price I would be all over those, I hope to grab a Little Book but I'm hoping sub $70, this years Yellowstone I wouldn't mind either but hopefully I can score it for the same price as last years $70.

Charlutz

Pass. 

8B2486A4-2035-4E6F-B242-D1B21DD9310D.jpeg

FasterHorses
14 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Pass. 

Barrel Proof is higher than 18 and BB? 

Stump1998
45 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Pass. 

Crazy prices there...

HoustonNit

$300 for ECBP?? I saw Orphan Barrel Entrapment for $200, no thanks.

RussianBourbonLover

^ That has to be a 1.75 ECBP, right? Never seen one of those..

Stump1998

Jaw hit the floor at these prices, They also had a ETL for $199.

IMG_5459.JPG

Clueby

I don't know why we are still so shocked at these prices although I'm guilty of sticker shock too. They seem to be the rule rather than the exception. For every BTAC bought at MSRP there are 10 more sold at secondary pricing. Face it..we are in the minority. Someone is still paying these secondary prices and the "boom" is definitely not over.

dcbt

But from a store's point of view, if they sell LEs (and even some allocated that aren't necessarily limited) for anything less than secondary, they are leaving money on the table. That's just the shape of today's environment. I don't endorse. But I get it. Edit to add: someone will pay it. Someone always does. (Probably ties in with the thread about newbies going straight for the top shelf LEs or not...)

Edited by dcbt

jvd99

Things are just getting stupid out there.  Even if LE's are selling, how sustainable are those prices?

Limegoldconvertible68
59 minutes ago, dcbt said:

But from a store's point of view, if they sell LEs (and even some allocated that aren't necessarily limited) for anything less than secondary, they are leaving money on the table. That's just the shape of today's environment. I don't endorse. But I get it. Edit to add: someone will pay it. Someone always does. (Probably ties in with the thread about newbies going straight for the top shelf LEs or not...)

I totally disagree. I spent over $3000 on bourbon last year and Almost as much this year.  One store reneged on me with a bottle of ORVW he said had my name on it. I’m sure he sold it at secondary prices instead but now he gets zero of my money going forward.  I’m not sure how that will play out with his bottom line but I suspect it’s not such a big win for him as he thinks. 

HoustonNit
I totally disagree. I spent over $3000 on bourbon last year and Almost as much this year.  One store reneged on me with a bottle of ORVW he said had my name on it. I’m sure he sold it at secondary prices instead but now he gets zero of my money going forward.  I’m not sure how that will play out with his bottom line but I suspect it’s not such a big win for him as he thinks. 

I agree, I think a smart Liquor store can make more money with there limited LEs by doing some type of lottery promotion or something that brings people in the door and works as free marketing. That or taking care of loyal customers and ensure they keep coming.

Stump1998
13 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I agree, I think a smart Liquor store can make more money with there limited LEs by doing some type of lottery promotion or something that brings people in the door and works as free marketing. That or taking care of loyal customers and ensure they keep coming.

I think so too. If you only get a few of those bottles, got to use it for getting people in the door to buy the daily stuff.

Cornfed12

Passed 4r single barrel for $33.....might need to go back