What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally opened up my line bottle of B117 and am really regretting passing on. a bunch of this. Really good stuff.

Only reason I’m passing is that I bunkered a couple dozen earlier in the year. I’m not sure it’s Whiskey of the Year but it’s a damn good bourbon. Much better than the A117 release to my palate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about KC 100 proof 1.75 Litre with 9 year age statement for $61.00? Saw 4 on the shelf so I can go back.

2 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

How about KC 100 proof 1.75 Litre with 9 year age statement for $61.00? Saw 4 on the shelf so I can go back.

That's reasonable.  I see the 750s going for $29.  Although it's tough because I was paying $35 for the 1.75 at Costco about a year ago.

Edited by Bourbon....Neat!
  • I like it 1

Just had to laugh when I saw it, PVW 23 year for $10,500. in a retail store. They seemed to be very excited over the fact that it had a gold wax top. Have never had a Pappy and will certainly try it if offered but could never buy a single bottle at that price when I could buy a lifetime supply of Elijah Craig

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, skiwez2 said:

Just had to laugh when I saw it, PVW 23 year for $10,500. in a retail store. They seemed to be very excited over the fact that it had a gold wax top. Have never had a Pappy and will certainly try it if offered but could never buy a single bottle at that price when I could buy a lifetime supply of Elijah Craig

That is some insane pricing right there.  I thought seeing it for $1,999 was crazy until I read that.

That is some insane pricing right there.  I thought seeing it for $1,999 was crazy until I read that.
that's the fun part of living in NYC. You can find just about anything you want.....but you also have to be willing to pay for it.

7 hours ago, skiwez2 said:

that's the fun part of living in NYC. You can find just about anything you want.....but you also have to be willing to pay for it.

And here I thought Illinois could be pretty bad.  :huh:

Biba! Joe

When I was in DC they had a ORVW 25 year that was 10,000. I got the impression it was the I want it in my store but don’t want to move it price.

5ccf3638de143da44ed5aed54862ea7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I passed up Charter 101 @ $26.  I hadn't seen one in years.  Two just appeared in a chain store.  I thought about it.  If we start getting it again; I know other places will have it for less. 

Oh man.. first ETL ive seen in the wild at reasonable price was grabbed by the only guy in the store. I was 5 seconds too late. My other one came from behind the counter.. not used to seein it just sitting there. 

Passed on Michters 10 @ $115. Kind of surprised to see it in VA. It's usually a lottery item.

I probably would have pounced at that price. It's pretty darn good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did a bit of Weller searching today, and I’m surprised at the sheer volume of terribly priced bourbons out there. I passed on Pappy 5 different times, most notably ORVW 10 for $700 at one store but one place offered me the 15 year for $400, and I was so shocked at how “low” that was until he informed me there was a mistake and it was $1000. Here are some of the worst prices I came across other than Winkles.

Weller 12 $200

OWA $120

Weller SR $90

Fighting Cock $50

Blanton’s $120

Elmer T Lee twice at $150

Rock Hill Farm $150

Elijah Craig $80

there were others, but safe to say I gave all these a hard pass.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Surtur said:

Weller 12 $200

OWA $120

Weller SR $90

Fighting Cock $50

Blanton’s $120

Elmer T Lee twice at $150

Rock Hill Farm $150

Elijah Craig $80

there were others, but safe to say I gave all these a hard pass.

Haha, FC for $50. I can find age stated FC near me for $16. Some people out there may pay those crazy prices for some of the Wellers but looks like that store is just jacking up the price on all things bourbon. 

1 hour ago, Fishin49er said:

Haha, FC for $50. I can find age stated FC near me for $16. Some people out there may pay those crazy prices for some of the Wellers but looks like that store is just jacking up the price on all things bourbon. 

I hate to say it but that was many stores that had a similar situation. I about fell over laughing at the Fighting Cock though, to my knowledge that is not limited or sought after in any way, other than by folks like us. I ran into at least 5 stores that had OWA at $70 or $80 but I personally refuse to go $5 or MAYBE $10 above MSRP if it's something incredible.

Edited by Surtur

Pricing reasons...passed on WSR for $30, WA107 for $50, Baby Saz 50, SJR for $80.  Couldnt pull the trigger reasons...Barrel Bourbon New Year, Batch 12, a rye batch, and what looked like Batch 4..all for around $90. Also a Forged Oak for $65.

I was in Hawaii at the Halekaluni hotel earlier this week, in the gift shop they had a single barrel pick of Elijah Craig, 9 years for $115. Apparently they blended a small amount (6oz) of very old Heaven Hill private stock that was originally bottled for the hotel 70 years ago. I passed on the bottle but tried it at the bar, it was one of the better EC bottles I've tried but nothing special, as is to be expected what with the homeopathic amount of old juice they blended in. The history aspect is sort of cool, but $115, lol no.

20180120_194857.jpg

They also had a Hirsch 28 year for $125 a pour at the bar, I tried looking that up for kicks but couldn't find much info about it.

Edited by EarthQuake

Passed on OGD114 for 39.99. First off I have enough and got it all sub 25.00. It became scarce then returned at 28-29 but I had yet to see it crack 30 but this joint raced past 30 and is sniffing 40, odd because others like a VERY nice RRSmbSB store pick are priced in line as are a host of others. They were high on WP 10/100 as well 89.99, the CS version is around for quite a bit less.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:18 AM, Hop said:

Passed on HWMWND at local retail of $90 and 1792 High Rye at $44.99

In Troutman? My father in law lives east of there in Lexington and I would Love to find the HWMWND? PM me if you don't mind sharing please.

I know the cult will look down on me for this egregious decision, but I passed up a bottle of 9yr OBSF that was on sale for $49.99 at a local grocer. The sale lasts through 2/27, so I have time to dwell on it. I promised myself I wouldn’t buy any bourbon for 3-4 months so I can drink down some of my stash, so I’ll likely stand by my choice. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I know the cult will look down on me for this egregious decision, but I passed up a bottle of 9yr OBSF that was on sale for $49.99 at a local grocer. The sale lasts through 2/27, so I have time to dwell on it. I promised myself I wouldn’t buy any bourbon for 3-4 months so I can drink down some of my stash, so I’ll likely stand by my choice. 

That's a great price. Get back there and make that purchase stat!

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

That's a great price. Get back there and make that purchase stat!

Yea, a few of those would have gone home w/ me. Last barrel my local TW got in was $69/btl. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.