What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just left one of my somewhat regulars that put up a GTS, WLW and a Lot B for $500. Very annoying, when I asked pricing she told me she knew what they where going for on the internet and wanted $500. She’s told me before she’s a bourbon drinker. She might think I’m a flipper, maybe I can offer a $100 for the BTAC and offer to open it with her and share?

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, 402Rob said:

Stagg Jr $99.99

Statesman $59.99

Sazerac Rye $99.99 

Liquor store in Louisville. 

Baby Saz for $99?!

Passed Jim Beam Single Barrel for $37.99

Don't know anything about it and the price seemed high. Pass.

High West Campfire for $70. I’ve never tried it but I really am curious, although $70 is just too much to pay on a whim like that. I did however grab an Old Forester 1920 for $50, a decision I can definitely stand behind

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, emr454 said:

it's not bad; 95 proof; I have a couple.

2 hours ago, emr454 said:

It's pretty good, but around here it is 8 bucks cheaper, though a local Supermarket Chain that bought a barrel has had it on sale for $25, at that price it is an easy buy for me.

W12 for $99

Baby Saz for $49.99

Hancock’s for $69.99

I stopped in to get a good laugh as they are always overpriced and and have plenty of good stuff that sits on the shelf and doesn’t move

Passed up a bunch of stuff at a local LS.  Among them was ORVW $499, Lot B $799, ETL $129.  Although they had a few older bottles of EW SiB.  I've heard some of the older EW bottles are really good.  What year should I be looking for?

At 10:30am a local store tweeted out that they hid 6 bottles around the store as an Easter egg hunt including THH, FRSmBLE, and EC18. They opened at 11. At 11:34am they updated that they had all been found. I couldn't have even got there that fast so I guess that's a pass.

Passes up Michters 10 for 169.99 (no thanks) and this. This was a "lol" and a hell no

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.1182c2432b97912bfb37505753c63efa.JPG

500 dollars at retail. Does it come with a happy ending?

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

Passed up a bunch of stuff at a local LS.  Among them was ORVW $499, Lot B $799, ETL $129.  Although they had a few older bottles of EW SiB.  I've heard some of the older EW bottles are really good.  What year should I be looking for?

They started getting younger and younger every year.  Look for the ones from back when 10 years was the norm.  Also keep in mind single barrel means some variation from one barrel to another.

15 minutes ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

11year SAOS SiB for $62. Never had this before. You all think it's worth this price?

Was this the barrel proof?

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Was this the barrel proof?

Yep - guess this answers my question. Should probably go back for it but I have been dropping some serious COIN on Bourbon lately.

Edited by Cigars&Bourbon

Just now, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Yep - guess this answers my question

Not sure about your market, but I've never seen it that low around me

• I like it 1

Came across 6 HWMWND at the State Liquor Store in Park City,  UT.  Not even available at the HW Distillery or Saloon.  $99, but I wasn't shopping for it, and have one open at home.

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

Came across 6 HWMWND at the State Liquor Store in Park City,  UT.  Not even available at the HW Distillery or Saloon.  $99, but I wasn't shopping for it, and have one open at home.

I dunno.  I can't think of anything id rather have while spending time in park city.

Do they still have the "Light Whiskey" at the distillery?

It's worth trying.

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

I dunno.  I can't think of anything id rather have while spending time in park city.

Do they still have the "Light Whiskey" at the distillery?

It's worth trying.

I only had 2 days left on my trip when I found it, and didnt want to put an open bottle in my luggage.  I like the MWND, but I can get by with one bottle a year.  There are a lot of whiskeys I'd rather drink for that money.  Besides, I have a DR finished in MWND at home too, and it drinks just fine.

We did the tasting after the tour.  The flight we chose had Valley Tan (I think 90/10 mash of wheat/oats, blended from 1-6 yr barrels), Light Whiskey, American Prairie (MWND finished), Yippie-Ki-Yay, and subbed Bourye for barrel-aged Boulevardier.  Also ordered a DR to sbs with the YKY, since it is is really finished DR (Syrah  and Vermouth).  Enjoyed sampling them all, but the Bourye is probably the only one in the flight I'd keep on the shelf, given my personal flavor preferences.

The light whiskey was interesting.  It was 14 year old MPG corn whiskey aged in 2nd use barrels.  Whether due to the age or high proof it was distilled to (just shy of NGS, removing most congeners) it was nowhere near as grain forward as I expected.  It's essentially barrel-aged vodka, bottled at 92 proof.  Definitely worth experiencing, but not a bottle I'd personally want taking up space on the shelf...

Edited by gurgalunas

15 hours ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Yep - guess this answers my question. Should probably go back for it but I have been dropping some serious COIN on Bourbon lately.

I’d snag that!

Passed on more ECBP b517 today - quite a bit to be found here in NC but I'm looking for the C917 to compare

• I like it 1

Passed on quite a few bottles.  Did score a few though. I'll post that elsewhere.

2016 Bookers $69, ECBP C917 $89, Little Book $89 Michter's sour mash $45 (Might go back for it.  Price is reasonable) to name a few.

Passed on more ECBP b517 today - quite a bit to be found here in NC but I'm looking for the C917 to compare

Finally opened up my line bottle of B117 and am really regretting passing on. a bunch of this. Really good stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.