What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got more than I need of all of those already.

2/2/18 the day the peak of the boom was reached.
  • I like it 4

Lately I've seen Jefferson's this that and the other stocked wide and deep.  It's in liquor stores and even grocery stores.  I just don't get it.

Passed on a whole bunch of things today.  Didn't take pictures but here's what I seem to remember (I may be off on the price of the very top one but at that point whats the difference in $100 either way):

Van Winkle Lot B - $799.99

Thomas H Handy - $599.99

Old Rip Van Winkle - $499.99

Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel - $114.99

There was a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Passed on a whole bunch of things today.  Didn't take pictures but here's what I seem to remember (I may be off on the price of the very top one but at that point whats the difference in $100 either way):

Van Winkle Lot B - $799.99

Thomas H Handy - $599.99

Old Rip Van Winkle - $499.99

Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel - $114.99

There was a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

So what part of the country are you visiting since you’re obviously not in our beloved ABC stores?

19 minutes ago, DCFan said:

So what part of the country are you visiting since you’re obviously not in our beloved ABC stores?

I was in DC as I heard this store had some Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch 2017 at a price that I was willing. 

There were several EC12 1.75 on the shelf at a LS I rarely go to.  Had not noticed them before, so must have come in somewhat recently?  Didn't think they were bottled as 12 yr anymore, or has that changed again?  The store is part of a small, urban chain.  Could have brought them from another store I guess.

Price was $69.99, which seemed high.

3 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

There were several EC12 1.75 on the shelf at a LS I rarely go to.  Had not noticed them before, so must have come in somewhat recently?  Didn't think they were bottled as 12 yr anymore, or has that changed again?  The store is part of a small, urban chain.  Could have brought them from another store I guess.

Might be why they are there.:blink:

5 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

1 hour ago, bourbon4all said:

Might be why they are there.:blink:

Let's see.........a 1.75 of EC 12 yr age stated for $70 which equals approx. $30 per 750 and you think that's high? Ahem........

No, they are not bottled at 12yrs any more. Must be old stock from the distributor.

Don't overthink this. Don't be stingy. That's a great price.

• I like it 3

Costco must have really geared up for the Super Bowl… 5+ cases of Stagg Jr. for $45.99 and deep Baby Saz at $20.99. After returning from a disheartening and fruitless trip to the control state of North Carolina, it was nice to be back.

IMG_8594.thumb.jpg.92ebb76b66f8ad6779dd87eb79094222.jpg

IMG_8592.thumb.jpg.71b7cc51b7e02f29623233fac4d68519.jpg

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Let's see.........a 1.75 of EC 12 yr age stated for $70 which equals approx. $30 per 750 and you think that's high? Ahem........

No, they are not bottled at 12yrs any more. Must be old stock from the distributor.

Don't overthink this. Don't be stingy. That's a great price.

THIS is why I posted above.  Looking for justification to go grab one.  I've been slowing my expenditures, but grab something when I can't say no to a deal...  

I gotta admit, though, that I'm used to finding the 1.75 cheaper per volume than a 750.  Have store pick ECSmB at $28 at one LS, but it's a 10 year.  Guess I'd better stop in for a 12 today...

16 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

THIS is why I posted above.  Looking for justification to go grab one.  I've been slowing my expenditures, but grab something when I can't say no to a deal...  

I gotta admit, though, that I'm used to finding the 1.75 cheaper per volume than a 750.  Have store pick ECSmB at $28 at one LS, but it's a 10 year.  Guess I'd better stop in for a 12 today...

Only if you like the oakier profile.    My recent experience has taught me that the NAS EC of newer vintage is usually closer to my sweet spot (those have been likely closer to the 9-10 year range).   A couple of store picks I've had have been stellar, and both of 'em have been less than 9-years old.

2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

You are justified!

True, the 1.75's are usually less expensive per volume, but a discontinued 12 yr age stated for only $2 more per 750 is not the time to quibble.

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Only if you like the oakier profile.    My recent experience has taught me that the NAS EC of newer vintage is usually closer to my sweet spot (those have been likely closer to the 9-10 year range).   A couple of store picks I've had have been stellar, and both of 'em have been less than 9-years old.

That I do!  I gravitate towards 12 year bottles in several other brands (KC SiB PS, W12, etc).  I do enjoy a number of 6-10 year old bottles, but the "sweet spot" for me has a little more oak...

1 hour ago, flahute said:

You are justified!

True, the 1.75's are usually less expensive per volume, but a discontinued 12 yr age stated for only $2 more per 750 is not the time to quibble.

The manager sold me 2 @$67.  They are $10 high on just about everything, so have room to wiggle a little.

20 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

That I do!  I gravitate towards 12 year bottles in several other brands (KC SiB PS, W12, etc).  I do enjoy a number of 6-10 year old bottles, but the "sweet spot" for me has a little more oak...

The manager sold me 2 @$67.  They are $10 high on just about everything, so have room to wiggle a little.

Now, don't you feel better for having listened to us and purchased not 1 but 2 handles of this delicious juice. :)

• I like it 1

Passed up a Forged Oak Orphan at $139.  I've busted through paying $100 a bottle for certain things long ago, but KY Owl is my barometer for whether I will pay north of $100 for something.  I've never had this bottle before, so I passed.  I have so much whiskey in the home, I couldn't justify purchasing it.  I need to save some money for any potential 2018 WFE releases this year.  

2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Well, good for you, then!   That is a very fair price, and it's always been very well-made stuff.    Enjoy!!!

2 hours ago, mikeydk said:

Passed up a Forged Oak Orphan at $139.  I've busted through paying $100 a bottle for certain things long ago, but KY Owl is my barometer for whether I will pay north of $100 for something.  I've never had this bottle before, so I passed.  I have so much whiskey in the home, I couldn't justify purchasing it.  I need to save some money for any potential 2018 WFE releases this year.  

Good call. I paid $65 for mine and feel I paid to much for what I got.

• I like it 1

2017 Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch for $140. Decent price but I've read mixed reviews. Not sure it's worth it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2017 Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch for $140. Decent price but I've read mixed reviews. Not sure it's worth it.

That probably would have come home with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passed on Weller Antique 107 for $69! Also passed in a ECBP C917 for $69 (b/c I already have one)

4 hours ago, Daveheelga said:

Passed on Kentucky Owl for $129 and Weller Antique for $69. 

Isn’t that standard for Kentucky Owl?

On 2/6/2018 at 5:08 AM, Marekv8 said:

Costco must have really geared up for the Super Bowl… 5+ cases of Stagg Jr. for $45.99 and deep Baby Saz at $20.99. After returning from a disheartening and fruitless trip to the control state of North Carolina, it was nice to be back.

IMG_8594.thumb.jpg.92ebb76b66f8ad6779dd87eb79094222.jpg

IMG_8592.thumb.jpg.71b7cc51b7e02f29623233fac4d68519.jpg

NC is more or less a bourbon wasteland. You can get lucky in November with all of the lotteries, but during the year it's just not worth a trip. At least there's no price gouging. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.