What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

20180301_142931.jpg

This week's contribution to the local Texas economy.  And I got the Yamazaki 18 for less than my TW retail price, even after taxes!  :P

What staves are used for the MM PS?

Grabbed one bottle each of McKenna 10 and Weller SR. I haven't had Weller in some time. Not that it really matters but I think I like the older style of bottle better.

I grabbed a HMcK10 on the Kansas side of town today, on sale for $28.99.  Adding it to my Fishing Trip stash that includes a 4R SiB PS and KC SiB PS 12 yr.  Looking forward to pulling the corks tomorrow night at the cabin, cigar in hand...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

More 10yr Belle Meade Cask Strength Single Barrel and Maker's Mark PS from Specs (and a Yamazaki 18, too - but that doesn't count, eh?).  Got a VOB BiB ($12.19) and HMcK10yr BIB (25.50) + the outrageous Texas sales tax at Twin Liquor's Red Label sale. 

That's the flip side, along with high property taxes, to having no state income tax...

I’m sure it’s different for everyone based on their situation. Since your situation seems similar to mine, I’ll share what my wife and I do. 

Every month we each get $100 as “slush fund” money. We can spend this on whatever we want and it is typically used on things that we don’t consider necessities. For me, this is typically my bourbon money. The balance each month rolls into the next month so if one of us is saving for something we can track it that way. The balance can also go into the negative which is where I am now after buying 6 new bottles within the last few weeks. I think I’m about $100 negative, so I’ll probably lay off buying any new whiskey until April or so once I’m back in the positive. 

The slush fund budget is a fair and balanced way for us to buy things we want, no questions asked, but...we still have to be responsible about it too. 

Hope me this helps. 
We definitely have a very similar situation. I have a mixture of you and earthquake. We have our own personal accounts and a joint account. We keep a certain amount monthly for ourselves to do whatever we please with it, and the joint one is for all the family expenses. With my personal account I've been able to find some of my hobbies, like whiskey and watches. But if it comes to a party or gathering we're hosting, then the booze money for that party comes from our joint, so that's a bonus! I try hosting something regularly lol.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Asked one of my go to liquor stores about some weller because I hadn’t seen it in a while. I also mentioned sazerac rye and my guy goes in the back to come out we these beauties. $52 with tax for the two in Ohio. They hide stuff in the back for their fancy restaurant customers. My lucky day!

0F64D141-2119-49ED-8431-2038F01902B3.jpeg

• I like it 1

My wife and I have a sort of an 'arrangement'...
I hide from her the Bourbon, guns, and bullets I buy . . .  [emoji33]
And she hides from me her purchases of shoes, blouses, skirts, jackets, seasonal decorations, baby gifts, gambling expenses, and I-have-no-idea-what-else.
This system has worked for years (46) for us.      Kind of a "Don't ask, Don't tell" sort of thing, I guess.    (Though we both know a good deal of what the other is doing, we maintain a pact of plausible deniability.)
Heeeeeeeee-He!
Do you both have separate secret rooms to store all of the unseen goods? I would be so tempted to see what she's got lol.

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

20180301_142931.jpg

This week's contribution to the local Texas economy.  And I got the Yamazaki 18 for less than my TW retail price, even after taxes!  :P

Looks like you threw out a very successful cast net...

What's your opinion on that MM Private Select? I have a LS that I stop in once in a while that has a selection of it. I recall that they picked the percentages for the end result. Is it worth a grab?

11 hours ago, reeko said:

Do you both have separate secret rooms to store all of the unseen goods? I would be so tempted to see what she's got lol.

Actually, she doesn't look for my stash of Bourbon, and has no desire to open my gun safes, or lock boxes of bullets.    As to her stuff... as I said, 'plausible deniability', my boy ...plausible deniability.

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

20180301_142931.jpg

Be curious to know your thoughts on the Belle Meade. I’ve really liked the ones I have come across. 

3 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Bourbon?  Gonna find out!

379A8722-F69E-4F05-85A0-9A8D3DA93011.jpeg

Is that bottle a cross between Blanton’s and Maker’s Mark? Ha!

17 minutes ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Is that bottle a cross between Blanton’s and Maker’s Mark? Ha!

More like Blanton’s and Rock Hill Farms. 

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Radioyada said:

More like Blanton’s and Rock Hill Farms. 

Yeah, the blue wax looking stuff at the top reminded me of Maker’s. It’s an interesting bottle. 

Grabbed a 2012 375ml of HWRR and another miniature Blantons today. Apparently Blantons is hard to come by in southern KY, everyone was excited because they got it in today. 

enhance

• I like it 1

Found a 1792 BIB today and it came home with me!! Excited to try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, vismatt said:

Picked up two 10 yr Belle Meade Cask Strength Single Barrells today for $65 each.  

IMG_2281.jpg

I just passed one of those up. How about a synopsis on this!

Ahhh, Spring is in the air & payday is at hand!

I went in hopes of grabbing the CEHT SIB that was on the shelf for a couple weeks in a row, but... drat. Oh well I decided to add to the bunker fodder with the Blantons & thought I would give the $17 Mellow Corn a try. My Wife bought me a Blantons at Publix LS a couple days ago. I sure hope it I special because when I got home, after checking, this bottle is from the same barrel even though it came from a different LS. C'est la vie...

bunker.jpg

same.jpg

On 3/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, GeeTen said:

More 10yr Belle Meade Cask Strength Single Barrel and Maker's Mark PS from Specs (and a Yamazaki 18, too - but that doesn't count, eh?).  Got a VOB BiB ($12.19) and HMcK10yr BIB (25.50) + the outrageous Texas sales tax at Twin Liquor's Red Label sale.  Gonna' give the animals here some top shelf bottom shelf bourbon since they drank all of my Belle Meade and Maker's PS a couple of weeks ago.  That'll fix 'em I betcha'!    :lol:

WSR in Tx.jpg

And I think I found out where all the WSR has gone, too.  $16.99 + tax, BTW.  :ph34r:

Good googly, moogly. I think your right

2 X HMcK 10 & a pair of RR 10yr

Both very fairly priced at $28 each. I don't think these gems stay at this price level for long?

I found some Blanton's minis today! The cognac is rather good too.

28378846_10105165352474200_7803129216534315008_o.thumb.jpg.9b0e292b2766658b5d256ff81ed347dd.jpg

I also got this lovely fellow the other day. Am I crazy? I think Rebel Yell SB is better than all things Weller. Even WLW. In any case it's probably for the best, I don't have to sell a kidney to afford a bottle of RY10.

28584184_10105158491608430_626435589_o.jpg.eccfc191d79f96ea6a1e3c199f6757c5.jpg

While it may look like some sort of Japanese Whisky, that's actually a bottle of smoked soy sauce.

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I found some Blanton's minis today! The cognac is rather good too.

28378846_10105165352474200_7803129216534315008_o.thumb.jpg.9b0e292b2766658b5d256ff81ed347dd.jpg

I also got this lovely fellow the other day. Am I crazy? I think Rebel Yell SB is better than all things Weller. Even WLW. In any case it's probably for the best, I don't have to sell a kidney to afford a bottle of RY10.

28584184_10105158491608430_626435589_o.jpg.eccfc191d79f96ea6a1e3c199f6757c5.jpg

While it may look like some sort of Japanese Whisky, that's actually a bottle of smoked soy sauce.

Wow..I owned one bottle of RY10 and thought it was just marginally better than terrible. I passed on lots of it at $45 because of that barrel/bottle. It had a decent nose but It was all bitter oak. Had absolutely no wheater sweetness to it. Just harsh and bitter. I tried another sb'r bottle and it was a little better than mine but nothing that would convince me to ever buy another bottle. Had to buy my bottle via mail order for $60 plus $20 shipping and it couldn't even compare to WSR.

RY10 and Larceny don’t taste like the BT wheated bourbons.  There’s something other than the mashbill significantly impacting the flavor of BT or HH that we’re not discussing. Saying one is better than the other is basically saying you like apples better than oranges. To me anyway. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.