What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

RY10 and Larceny don’t taste like the BT wheated bourbons.  There’s something other than the mashbill significantly impacting the flavor of BT or HH that we’re not discussing. Saying one is better than the other is basically saying you like apples better than oranges. To me anyway. 

Certainly, it's all personal preference, I just find it amusing due to all the hype everything Weller gets. Again, this works out for me as I can actually manage to find it.

@Clueby I like drier whiskey, so bitter oak is a good thing to me. I don't appreciate cloyingly sweet bourbon, and actually Larceny is one of the worst offenders for me, it's all sweet wheat and nothing else. It's ironic that I like the RY10, given that these are supposedly the same mash bill. Personally I don't find Weller (any bottling) all that sweet, but they have a funky nuttiness and rough alcohol quality that put me off. I'm a big fan of BT, but far prefer mashbill #1 and #2 to the their wheated mash.

When I cracked the RY10 I did a side by side with WSR, and the RY10 was (to my palate) clearly superior. I have a store pick of OWA that I should do the same experiment with.

Edited by EarthQuake

Been a while since I've posted, so I'll throw this out there. Brought these guys home last night. Liked the Beam, quite hopeful for the WTKS

20180303_061756.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

Certainly, it's all personal preference, I just find it amusing due to all the hype everything Weller gets. Again, this works out for me as I can actually manage to find it.

@Clueby I like drier whiskey, so bitter oak is a good thing to me. I don't appreciate cloyingly sweet bourbon, and actually Larceny is one of the worst offenders for me, it's all sweet wheat and nothing else. It's ironic that I like the RY10, given that these are supposedly the same mash bill. Personally I don't find Weller (any bottling) all that sweet, but they have a funky nuttiness and rough alcohol quality that put me off. I'm a big fan of BT, but far prefer mashbill #1 and #2 to the their wheated mash.

When I cracked the RY10 I did a side by side with WSR, and the RY10 was (to my palate) clearly superior. I have a store pick of OWA that I should do the same experiment with.

I'm a fan of heavy oak too..EC, EC18, Barterhouse, PVW23, etc. This was not like that at all. I don't like Larceny..but I do like OFBIB. OWA is probably my favorite all round wheater. Idk..something about RY10 that just put me off. Might have been my barrel. 

Got in early enough to grab an OWA at $26.99. Grabbed a HHBIB while I was there.

enhance

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'm a fan of heavy oak too..EC, EC18, Barterhouse, PVW23, etc. This was not like that at all. I don't like Larceny..but I do like OFBIB. OWA is probably my favorite all round wheater. Idk..something about RY10 that just put me off. Might have been my barrel. 

Yes maybe a not great barrel? I find RY10 pretty similar to Old Fitz, the 12 year specifically, maybe not quite as good (I've only had VSOF12 in a bar so I haven't had a chance to do a detailed SBS), but same flavor family. I haven't had OFBIB so I can't comment.

17 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Am I crazy? I think Rebel Yell SB is better than all things Weller. Even WLW. In any case it's probably for the best, I don't have to sell a kidney to afford a bottle of RY10.

28584184_10105158491608430_626435589_o.jpg.eccfc191d79f96ea6a1e3c199f6757c5.jpg

I don't think you're crazy. I've had great results from all but one of the RY10 barrels I've tried and that one wasn't bad per se, just not at the same level of the others.

OWA still performs at a high level for me, but the RY10 holds it's own against all the various Weller's and I sometimes like it better.

• I like it 1

Technically purchased yesterday, but I ordered a few bottles of OGD114 from a store about an hour from me. I can’t find 114 in my  immediate area anymore and this particular store does one day shipping for less money than the gas and time to drive there. Plus I’m working on a head cold and a healthy pour of 114 always makes it feel better

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Surtur said:

Plus I’m working on a head cold and a healthy pour of 114 always makes it feel better

Best " hot toddy" I ever had was made with OGD 114

:)

Big HW fan so got the last bottle of this - even at $60. Also, got 3 of the Virgin with a recent trip to NC.

jH8encO.jpg

C5LVb4w.jpg

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Big HW fan so got the last bottle of this - even at $60. Also, got 3 of the Virgin with a recent trip to NC.

jH8encO.jpg

C5LVb4w.jpg

Whoa, that's about 2x the price for standard DR. Are the finished varieties always that expensive -- I never checked the price tag.

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Whoa, that's about 2x the price for standard DR. Are the finished varieties always that expensive -- I never checked the price tag.

Do you think the Virgin is Old Ezra 7?

5 hours ago, Kane said:

I have never seen it in the wild but most of my online research is that it's normally at/close to cost of standard production. 

1 hour ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

I have never seen it in the wild but most of my online research is that it's normally at/close to cost of standard production. 

Here it's typically about $10 more, $29-$35 for DR and $40ish for the store picks.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Radioyada said:

Bourbon?  Gonna find out!

379A8722-F69E-4F05-85A0-9A8D3DA93011.jpeg

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Is that bottle a cross between Blanton’s and Maker’s Mark? Ha!

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, Radioyada said:

More like Blanton’s and Rock Hill Farms. 

Well definitely not Bourbon, but the bottle is definitely Sazerac (who sources/bottles CC) using the same bottles as RHF with a stopper akin to Blantons with all the flair of my paternal grandmothers homeland up there in America's hat. 

Stopped at the Spec's in Bastrop, TX (at the recommendation of the Spec's manager in College Station, TX) and bought a couple bottles of 11yr Belle Meade Cask Strength Single Barrel bourbon.   Great price, but Texas sales taxes added a good chunk of change (but not as much as the state of Washington . . . .)!  Boy those bottles sure added some serious weight to the Jet Blue checked luggage (along with the Yamazaki 18 heh, heh).   :P

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of ECBP C917. I'm curious to try it against the B517.

Buddy of mine had been looking for a particular bottle and I found some at Liquor Barn in E'town today.  Picked up two for him, one for me and one for my son.  Met a guy from Virginia who was in there and he saw me picking them up and asked me about it and he ended up grabbing one.  The other bottle . . . Hey, 13 y.o. KC SiB, what's not to like.

Resized_20180306_203946.jpg

Of course there's no Old Charter left in E'town.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 1

Picked up my online purchase of Barrell Bourbon Batch 14 today. Guy at the store asked if I wanted to try their open bottle as well as New Year 2018 batch. I had debated on which one to purchase. I'm glad I chose the 14. Was a more "classic" bourbon profile. The NY18 had a strange finish to it. It wasn't bad but I preferred the 14. Apparently I was in the minority though as he said most customers preferred the NY18. Not sure if either of them are worth the $76+tax.

20180306_201132-1209x1612.jpg

D13DC9E9-8BE2-4F57-BA3F-A5583C8792E7.thumb.jpeg.b41a259a25f358c391c13ee13c0a1210.jpeg

Delivery day is always the best, I’ll get another package tomorrow, a SAOS 12yo with some samples.

Cheers!

Will.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Stopped at the Spec's in Bastrop, TX (at the recommendation of the Spec's manager in College Station, TX) and bought a couple bottles of 11yr Belle Meade Cask Strength Single Barrel bourbon.   Great price, but Texas sales taxes added a good chunk of change (but not as much as the state of Washington . . . .)!  Boy those bottles sure added some serious weight to the Jet Blue checked luggage (along with the Yamazaki 18 heh, heh).   :P

What was the price on the Belle Meade? Have my eye on a store pick, but kinda pricey...

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

D13DC9E9-8BE2-4F57-BA3F-A5583C8792E7.thumb.jpeg.b41a259a25f358c391c13ee13c0a1210.jpeg

Delivery day is always the best, I’ll get another package tomorrow, a SAOS 12yo with some samples.

Cheers!

Will.

Where did you order the Belle Meade from? I can’t find that anywhere around me. 

5 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers!

Will.

Damn! Almost everytime I look at this page. You have bought something new again. You buy online in Europe right? Awesome! Enjoy!

Edited by MTNBourbon

1 hour ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Where did you order the Belle Meade from? I can’t find that anywhere around me. 

29 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Damn! Almost everytime I look at this page. You have bought something new again. You buy online in Europe right? Awesome! Enjoy!

Yeah, 99% of my purchases are done online, but for the SAOS/Belle Meade, it's a whiskey buddy who's hooking me up, such a great guy! He gets it online, but don't know where. I need to slow down on buying, like a lot of people here, i've got more than i need. 

Cheers ! 

Will.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Yeah, 99% of my purchases are done online, but for the SAOS/Belle Meade, it's a whiskey buddy who's hooking me up, such a great guy! He gets it online, but don't know where. I need to slow down on buying, like a lot of people here, i've got more than i need. 

Cheers ! 

Will.

A lot of the stuff you are buying, I cannot even get online.:)

2 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

What was the price on the Belle Meade? Have my eye on a store pick, but kinda pricey...

IIRC, it was $70 and change which included the outrageous (heh, heh) Texas sales tax!  :angry:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.