What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 23/03/2018 at 1:30 AM, Herbalthought said:

i just made a real observation that buffalo trace entry level 40% is shit and im so glad i never paid for it
Still disappointing aftrr reading so many people say it was a nice dram

It reminds me to never buy a bourbon lower than 50% for sure

It's much nicer at 45%. If you can find somewhere selling a magnum of it in the UK then it will be at 45% as they don't do 40% magnums.

At 40% it's been neutered.

On 3/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, emr454 said:

Enjoying a few pours of HH6 BIB tonight. If only I could buy this in NY... Closest I can get is EW BIB. Must do a blind SBS comparison

A buddy of mine is going to KY this weekend for his daughter's sports and he is bring me a bottle of HH6 BIB back :D

• I like it 2

928A88A0-F566-4C78-8228-CA81BBB56412.thumb.jpeg.c17e39bd929a32545edd24d8a6973827.jpeg

Not to sound weird but I really like that chandelier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 2

11 hours ago, Herbalthought said:

I keep hearing only good things about stagg jnr $helby 

Its in the top 5 must buy soon bottles for me.

It's excellent. Bought a bottle in Lawrence, KS when my wife and I went to the KU basketball game in February. She's an alum. Enjoyed a dram of SJ last night to celebrate the Jayhawks win! Rock Chalk!

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Not to sound weird but I really like that chandelier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree...Looks like quite the house 

It's much nicer at 45%. If you can find somewhere selling a magnum of it in the UK then it will be at 45% as they don't do 40% magnums.

At 40% it's been neutered.
I've never seen a buffalo trace at 40%, only 45%. Are they changing it to that proof now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, reeko said:

I've never seen a buffalo trace at 40%, only 45%. Are they changing it to that proof now?

There is a European or international version that is 80 pf. That’s the confusion and potentially the reason for the vitriol from herbalthought. Who knows if he’ll like it at 90 pf since it’s below his 100 pf requirement for good bourbon but it appears he hasn’t tried the 90 pf we get in the US. He does want to try Stagg Jr. which is of course the same mashbill, albeit at a much higher proof and one would assume differences in aging location, time, etc. 

13 hours ago, reeko said:

Which rye did you try?

Redemption 7 year cask strength (mgp).

My meaning was more that it was an off palate night.  I usually enjoy rye quite well.

:)

4B98BCB3-8EA3-44A3-9BCC-1E5C5FFF6B11.thumb.jpeg.70190e338f2e4f4eecf767f916d7611f.jpeg

Opened this one while visiting a friend, pretty tasty! 

Cheers! 

Will. 

There is a European or international version that is 80 pf. That’s the confusion and potentially the reason for the vitriol from herbalthought. Who knows if he’ll like it at 90 pf since it’s below his 100 pf requirement for good bourbon but it appears he hasn’t tried the 90 pf we get in the US. He does want to try Stagg Jr. which is of course the same mashbill, albeit at a much higher proof and one would assume differences in aging location, time, etc. 
I wonder if they do that because it's cheaper for them to distribute. Lower proof and less age as well. Or do they think international markets don't like higher proof offerings.

I do enjoy buffalo trace, sometimes even more than eagle rare.

Redemption 7 year cask strength (mgp).

My meaning was more that it was an off palate night.  I usually enjoy rye quite well.
[emoji4]
Ah gotcha. That mainly happens to me after recovering from a sickness, or after eating fish. For some reason it doesn't pair well [emoji14]

Had a nice pour of GTS from a bottle of '11 vintage (HazMat).    IT was very nice; but ultimately a little harsh.    After a few sips I did a quick in-glass vatting with a nice EWSB from '06; and that is stellar!

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 1

Now, i'm sipping some Al Young from a sample, life is pretty good. 

Cheers! 

Guillaume. 

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Had a nice pour of GTS fronma bottle of '11 vintage (HazMat).    IT was very nice; but ultimately a little harsh.    After a few sips I did a quick in-glass vatting with a nice EWSB from '06; and that is stellar!

Hazmat and it's the older GTS ever, 18yo. Never tried it, it must be something. 

Ok ill try find a magnum then and try it at 45% :)

I am the same with scotch i find 40% just to low for anything good to happen

Masset that is a lovely colour.love that deep red hue, every time i have had a pour of something that deep red i loved it.

Bookers 2014/02 for me tonight and also have a liqueur i made from same bottle in 2015 gonna crack it and see how it turned out compared to the orignal.

Opened both of these store picks today and they’re both delicious, but the EC is stellar! I was a good ways off my beaten path when I found it. Now I’m going to have to make a return trip ASAP!

B6555AC0-2F87-49F9-AD60-AB0B095FEF1C.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, reeko said:

I wonder if they do that because it's cheaper for them to distribute. Lower proof and less age as well. Or do they think international markets don't like higher proof offerings.

I do enjoy buffalo trace, sometimes even more than eagle rare.

I’ve heard it’s because tariffs are based on the percent alcohol. 

• I like it 1

Enjoying a WA107 Microbatch UCF #3135 Loch & K(e)y Society pick at home after having a generous pour of regular Blanton's with a double thick brined pork chop at The Coach Grille in Wayland w/SWMBO (she had a Glenfiddich 15 with a piece of grilled salmon and wilted spinach).  Life is good, still!   :D

• I like it 2

Having some HM 10y to start the night. I picked up a new bottle today and I be damned if they didn’t take away my trusty screw top and put a damn cork in it. At least the juice is very good. 

6A1735CE-B531-412A-A704-247C94F8FBD0.thumb.jpeg.4526c78c953e71c2893fc405f59bca65.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

I had the future Misses do very small blind pours for me. I immediately got the ECBP on the smell and knew Booker’s by the taste. I initially got the next 3 wrong. 

My ranking today:

1. SJR

2. OESF (very close second)

3. ECBP

4. WTRB

5. Booker’s 

4256319B-A27C-4491-953A-3B05710DA225.jpeg

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Having some HM 10y to start the night. I picked up a new bottle today and I be damned if they didn’t take away my trusty screw top and put a damn cork in it. At least the juice if very good. 

6A1735CE-B531-412A-A704-247C94F8FBD0.thumb.jpeg.4526c78c953e71c2893fc405f59bca65.jpeg

That is disappointing. Every home bar needs a screw top bottle for that last nightcap "silent" pour. Our options are quickly decreasing. I guess mine is now plain ole MM.

24 minutes ago, dcbt said:

That is disappointing. Every home bar needs a screw top bottle for that last nightcap "silent" pour. Our options are quickly decreasing. I guess mine is now plain ole MM.

:lol: You still have EWBIB and JBDC. 

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

This is disappointing.  Personally, I would prefer a move the other directions toward more screw top bottles.

We had around 10 inches of snow in West Central Indiana today.  It was wet and very heavy.  It kept plugging up the snow blower.  It is suppose to be 43 degrees tomorrow.  Opted for a nice pour of Blanton's to warm up while sitting with my sick 11-year old dog.  Hopefully, the bourbon will warm me up and she will get to feeling better soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.