What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought this would be an interesting taste test of rye forward bourbons. The OBSV is 120.6pf. I’m enjoying trying to pull out the different flavors. The RB has a longer finish but the finish on the OBSV is more graceful, if that somehow makes sense. 

B58514BD-AE2D-4A46-8BC6-DACC11ACE091.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I thought this would be an interesting taste test of rye forward bourbons. The OBSV is 120.6pf. I’m enjoying trying to pull out the different flavors. The RB has a longer finish but the finish on the OBSV is more graceful, if that somehow makes sense. 

B58514BD-AE2D-4A46-8BC6-DACC11ACE091.jpeg

Barrel Proof OBSV is always a treat.  Nice gift on the ECBP.  All those years of coaching and all I got was an invitation to a cookout following the season.  What age group?

I’ve heard it’s because tariffs are based on the percent alcohol. 
Interesting. I wonder if the tariffs are the same for cask strength alcohol in Canada. Maybe that's why we don't get all of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Barrel Proof OBSV is always a treat.  Nice gift on the ECBP.  All those years of coaching and all I got was an invitation to a cookout following the season.  What age group?

It’s a mix of 2004/05 so they are 12 and 13, mostly 7th graders. I’ve had them for four years and watched them grow quite a bit. I’m taking the 2005’s to a travel team next year and trying to enjoy our last spring before a major change to the team. It’s very rewarding. And good bourbon too!

• I like it 1

Why not....
15219413359871765692972.thumb.jpg.cf4658c9101d13dd2d0f776c6be0a8a4.jpg

The better question is why did you wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, reeko said:

Interesting. I wonder if the tariffs are the same for cask strength alcohol in Canada. Maybe that's why we don't get all of them.

£28.74 per litre of alcohol in the spirits at a temperature of 20 celsius

So that above means if it is 1 litre bottle with 100 proof spirit you pay £14.37 in duty
thats for UK

I'm enjoying some knob Creek single barrel. I love cask strength offerings. I don't think I can go below 45%. Otherwise it tastes watered down to me. 5ed0ca5c4fe8918a5bdf5e41d57d873e.jpg

• I like it 1

1BBF390E-A7AB-4E1E-8341-91C7B443A1E3.thumb.jpeg.aafc72704b37b5c92283c109458996f7.jpeg

Finishing the day with a heavy pour of SJ over an ice ball. Who’d thought banana and tobacco could be better than peanut butter and jelly! 

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying some knob Creek single barrel. I love cask strength offerings. I don't think I can go below 45%. Otherwise it tastes watered down to me. 5ed0ca5c4fe8918a5bdf5e41d57d873e.jpg

Ive found that it has a lot to do with what you get yourself used to. I thought along those same lines a few times when sabbaticals from high proof or whiskey in general did a pretty noticeable reset on my palate and strength preferences. But...different strokes for different folks...or YMMV in internet vernacular.

Ive found that it has a lot to do with what you get yourself used to. I thought along those same lines a few times when sabbaticals from high proof or whiskey in general did a pretty noticeable reset on my palate and strength preferences. But...different strokes for different folks...or YMMV in internet vernacular.

I agree with you. If I haven't had any alcohol for a couple of weeks, then try a higher proof offering, it tastes too strong to me and gross. 80 would be the perfect proof. I think that's why friends, my brother and my wife don't enjoy the high proof offerings, because they're not used to it. I have to admit when I first got into whiskey, I enjoyed normal JD and lower end Canadian whiskey. It took a while for my palate to get used to the higher proof offerings. But I'm glad that I enjoy it now, because it's so good! :)

To continue the higher proof offerings, I'm enjoying some 4R ps obsv. 4301da1b50a928352635a4ad12c56376.jpg

Four Roses "yellow label" - has a lot going on for a lower proof.  I think it has to do with all the different recipes and some older barrels in the batch.  Anyway, I like it.   

• I like it 2

46 minutes ago, BigRich said:

The better question is why did you wait?

A crap ton of open bottles. lol that won't change anytime soon though.

• I like it 2

Followed big bad bill with a chameleon of an OBSQ aged 11 years 10 months and now onto a 9 year 8 month OBSK that is just fantastic.

some midwinter nights dram tonight, Ive already resolved to get more of this years release.

10 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Love this one. 

9200A0DF-30F0-423B-9F81-8E24B145087A.jpeg

I’m waiting for a bottle to cross the Atlantic (along with a 129 proof bottle), should be here in a week or two, I’m dying to try this batch. Can’t go wrong with the barrel proof. Enjoy! 

Will. 

• I like it 1

Not today, but over the week I was in San Francisco on a work trip and stopped at a number of bars and tried a few whiskies I hadn't had before.

• OF Birthday Bourbon, this was pretty good, I think 1920 is probably better though and of course a lot easier to find
  • Four Roses Small Batch LE 2017, this was real nice
  • Elijah Craig 23, this was awesome but very similar to Rhetoric 23 (unsurprisingly given they are both the same mash distilled at HH (New Bernheim))
  • Angel's Envy (at a bar with a limited Bourbon selection), this was just okay
  • Johhny Drum 15 year, this was pretty good, I'm not sure of the mash on this but it seemed rye heavy
  • Aberlour 12 year, this is perfectly pleasant, verging on a dessert scotch with the heavy sherry influence - I prefer the A'bunadh but this was nice too
  • Ohishi Sherry Cask, this is a Japanese rise whiskey, it was freaking great. I was really surprised by this, going to get a bottle asap. It was like a leather boot soaked in sherry, and I mean that in the best possible way.
  • Old Potrero Single Malt Rye and 18th Century Rye. A friend and I visited the distillery for a tasting of these (and some gins and other misc spirits). These are actually the same distillate, but aged differently. The mash bill is 100% malted Rye. The Single Malt is aged in new charred oak for 3-4 years and the 18th Century in toasted oak for 2-3 years. It was really interesting tasting them side by side, the 18th Century had a distinct "toasty" flavor due to the barrel. This was great fun, but both of these tasted like young craft whiskey, which is to say they tasted like they might be good with another 5 years of age or so. They were also, unsurprisingly, very malty, which isn't a flavor I'm a fan of. In any case I would recommend the tasting for anyone in the SF area, the guy who led the tasting was really nice and knowledgable about the whole process, we ended up as the only people there for the time slot and got a private tasting, so we nerded out about whiskey for an hour or so.

I feel like there were a few more, but for some reason I can't quite recall. :D

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

Started the evening with some WFE 6yo rye C barrel, good , not impressive. Now, i'm sipping some SAOS 10yo bourbon (Sarah's), very good.  

Cheers! 

Will. 

17 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

Tonight a pour of OF Sig 100 c6d0892cfd1cee810df289ba49fae1f3.jpg

My man. #bananapuddin’

• I like it 1

Sipping on Baker’s today while flipping between the NCAA and golf. Far worse ways to spend a Sunday.

• I like it 3

Last night had HHBIB6, VOBBIB and Mellow Corn. Am in Kentucky for a few days. Never had MC before. 9.99. Nothing special but fine. Not as corn forward as I would expect. The other two BIB are very good, especially for the money.

Jefferson’s Reserve Small Batch after a steak dinner47eb0229b22bbf4675702b398a555ccf.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.