What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

25 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Enjoying some OFBIB in my new (to me) OF glass.

20180325_202215-1209x1612.jpg

Where did you get that glass?!?

I have been splitting pours between OWA 107 Big Red Liquors Single Barrel and Blanton's.  

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

Where did you get that glass?!?

At an "antique mall" on Saturday. Otherwise known as a junk store with a lot of booths. They had 3 or 4 of them.  There is always lots of bourbon memorabilia, decanter, etc. I posted some stuff over in the paraphenalia section. There are even some sealed bottles...Kentucky Dew and Old Colonel pints, etc. Some of them only had an inch or so of juice left but still sealed up with tax strips.

20180324_151744-1209x1612.jpg

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

That IS a cool glass!   Kind of a combination of stem/rocks.   You sir, are STYLIN'!!  :wub:

• I like it 1

Yesterday afternoon at a restaurant in Lexington, after watching my lady Cardinals take Oregon State to the woodshed, had a pour of the always pleasing Baker's.  Later at home I started with my first pour of WTKS store pick from Westport Whiskey & Wine, followed that with a pour of EC BP and finished the night with a pour of Sazerac.

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

At an "antique mall" on Saturday. Otherwise known as a junk store with a lot of booths. They had 3 or 4 of them.  There is always lots of bourbon memorabilia, decanter, etc. I posted some stuff over in the paraphenalia section. There are even some sealed bottles...Kentucky Dew and Old Colonel pints, etc. Some of them only had an inch or so of juice left but still sealed up with tax strips.

20180324_151744-1209x1612.jpg

Ah yes, the "upscale" flea market/peddlers mall where they knock a little dirt off and quaduple the price....  I need to pay more attention & make a few stops around L-ville next Pilgrimage.

• I like it 1

Very busy day, but at least i'm home and not in LA or DC for a change (one week staycation). Just fired up the smoker for a quick cook of a turkey breast and poured the last 2oz of a '13 PVW15 while sitting outside smelling all the goodnesses. Next up is the last ounce of the same year's ORVW. Just because.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Very busy day, but at least i'm home and not in LA or DC for a change (one week staycation). Just fired up the smoker for a quick cook of a turkey breast and poured the last 2oz of a '13 PVW15 while sitting outside smelling all the goodnesses. Next up is the last ounce of the same year's ORVW. Just because.

Huh, I just finished a nice dram of '15 PVW15 to celebrate all the snow finally melting off my deck - why not?   :P

Just had a 4R OESK Brigante Selection (8y 6m, 116.8 proof). This is one of the best 4R I have ever tried. Really nice all around.

• I like it 2

EC (12 on the back). IMO the last of the EC12 didn’t hold up to the classic ‘little red 12’. I know HH kinda botched the dropping of AS but I can respect that they did what they thought best to maintain the overall quality of the line. 12 year old

bouron isn’t inherently better than 10 year, depending on barrel, warehouse location etc. i’ve had some 9 year store picks that I like better than the classic ‘12’. Either way, enjoying some oaky sweetness tonight. 

57BA22B7-826F-428E-BE40-ADA097AC6311.jpeg

• I like it 1

Back to bonds with VOB BIB.  I grabbed the last two at the only place I know had it.  It would be a pity if they didn't get any more.  Nowadays you never know.  In my opinion this stands up there with Grandad and WT.

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

EC (12 on the back). IMO the last of the EC12 didn’t hold up to the classic ‘little red 12’. I know HH kinda botched the dropping of AS but I can respect that they did what they thought best to maintain the overall quality of the line. 12 year old

bouron isn’t inherently better than 10 year, depending on barrel, warehouse location etc. i’ve had some 9 year store picks that I like better than the classic ‘12’. Either way, enjoying some oaky sweetness tonight. 

57BA22B7-826F-428E-BE40-ADA097AC6311.jpeg

Totally agree the rear AS bottles were not as good. But I have a newer EC store pic which is 12 yr & fabulous.

• I like it 1

On 3/25/2018 at 9:24 PM, Clueby said:

"ArdbOg" in the background?  You photoshop that or is it a "new" expression of "falling face first into a campfire" scotch?!?  :P

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

"ArdbOg" in the background?  You photoshop that or is it a "new" expression of "falling face first into a campfire" scotch?!?  :P

Ardbog was the 2013 Feis Ile/Ardbeg Day special edition. I just bought it on Saturday so it was still sitting out on the bar. A store had it in the office since then and decided to finally put it out for sale.

Yes, most Ardbeg expressions have that wonderful "burning a bandaid in the campfire by the seashore" thing going on that for some reason I LOVE!

• I like it 1

Just ordered a 2oz of Little Book without realizing the proof. Man, do I like this (also realizing that I've missed drinking a good Beam). I think this is well worth the asking price. Sad to have passed all those bottles.

• I like it 1

Still plenty of Little Book here in New Haven county. 

Think there was some at Yankee Spirits last trip thru as well. 

Forgot it was International Whiskey Day, so I will have at least one weekday pour.2713f982b1c040b434d4c6484b76034d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

Last pour of the day, Barrell batch 7. Doesn't taste like Dickel, doesn't taste like Jack. Nothing special this one.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Last pour of the day, Barrell batch 7. Doesn't taste like Dickel, doesn't taste like Jack. Nothing special this one.

I had a pour of the batch 9 tonight, and damn it’s good! I’m going to miss it when it’s gone. I also haven’t bought any batches since batch 11 as I just can’t seem to stomach the $90 price tag. It could be magic in a bottle, or a complete miss.

Edited by spectre

Just now, spectre said:

I had a pour of the batch 9 tonight, and damn it’s good! I’m going to miss it when it’s gone.

I really enjoy the new batch 14. It's a vanilla bomb which makes it dangerously drinkable.

I'm having some PHC11 tonight for International Whisk(e)y Day. I haven't visited this bottle in a couple months. The feel on this one is so good. It still has a nuttiness to it but seems to have lost a bit of that really overt peanut taste.

20180327_213845-1209x1612.jpg

• I like it 3

On March 26, 2018 at 11:01 PM, PaulO said:

Back to bonds with VOB BIB.  I grabbed the last two at the only place I know had it.  It would be a pity if they didn't get any more.  Nowadays you never know.  In my opinion this stands up there with Grandad and WT.

This has become my favorite BIB, even over HHBIB6. I grabbed quite a few VOB BIB here in Kentucky this week. They are everywhere. At 13.99 hard to go wrong.

Last few nights did a few non blind SBS.  

Evan Williams Single Barrel 2007 vs Henry McKenna 10.  Started with the EW and it was delish, bright and lots of caramel sweetness.  Felt pretty good about it until the HMK which just beat the EW in every single category. It was richer, fuller on the palate, with more depth and flavor and made the EW seem "thin" when I went back.  McKenna was the clear winner.

Last night went with an Eagle Rare store pick and a EH Taylor Single Barrel.  The nose of the ER was just amazing and initially significantly better than the EH which had some alcohol burn. Midway through the first pour the EH really started catching up and all the heat dissipated.  This head to head was closer and the ER shot out to an early lead, but by the time I was finished I think I preferred the EH.   May have to redo this one blind.

Has there ever been a store pick of EH Single Barrel?  I feel like that would be awesome.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.