What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Cranecreek said:

Any idea why the proof is as low as it is for a Cask Strength ?  Used to see these for a short time, but no more.  MGP source IIRC.

Just guessing but I know MGPs barrel proof is 120 (same as Four Roses..they share seagrams DNA). I’ve also heard MGP has some single story masonry rickhouses so I’m guessing a bottom floor masonry rick house. Seeing Four Roses cask strength at 102 103 isn’t uncommon. 

My Blanton's hookup called me today so I picked one of those up. It's a nice change of pace for the ECBP that I picked up a couple days ago...

Went to my go to watering hole and found some goodies! I’m not sure if they got EHT 4 Grain, but here are my consolation prizes. Prices were over MI state minimum, but decent enough to pull the trigger. Rock Hill Farms doesn’t make it to Ohio so i know this was the only chance to buy.

EHT SiB: $69.99

RHF: $69.99

ETL: $49.99

Stagg jr 126.4: $69.99

789839FE-40C2-4D50-BE7C-8627308AAED6.jpeg

• I like it 4

A KCSB store pick that Gurgalunas had the opportunity to sample before the liquor dept management decided to purchase. At 13 yrs old, at the usual 120 proof, and surprisingly only $39.99+tx, the bottle is an outstanding value for such a "flavor bomb". My taste buds weren't just amused, they were thoroughly entertained.  If you're in the KC area, passing through town, or in Omaha for the CWS, set your GPS for the HyVee on Barry Rd in NKC, MO.  Buy two, one for tomorrow and one just for today. Apologies to Mr Mojo Risin'.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

Acquired this today. Haven't had this batch yet.

20180620_141457-1209x1612.jpg

Looks like the C917 ?  It is very good.  VBT  was just won.  Thanks for playing ! Hope to see ya guess in the next one.

Picked up a couple of SP KCSB 120s. $38.99 I was lucky enough to sample the three pack and this one was everyone's fav. 14yrs old and smooth as butter BUT not what I would call the standard taste profile for that label. Less nuts and more fruit from this particular barrel. How does a barrel sit around for 14yrs these days?

5 hours ago, FacePlant said:

How does a barrel sit around for 14yrs these days?

One, Beam has a lot. Second, Japanese corporate managing style at Beam leads to constantly changing roles which results in lack of continuity for brand strategies.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

One, Beam has a lot. Second, Japanese corporate managing style at Beam leads to constantly changing roles which results in lack of continuity for brand strategies.

As long as I can find Bakers here and there for $42. 7 yrs, 107 proof is a nice profile. Wish it was a shade older. 

The 9-11 year KC SB are very nice. The 12+ year barrels I have come across have been oaky and dry as all get out. Not my thing but it is for some. 

On 6/18/2018 at 11:11 PM, Paddy said:

Stocking up while the price is right... EW BIB (12 and change) and HH BIB (9 and change). 

HHBIB at $9??  Nine Dollars???   NINE DOLLARS!!!!’   That almost makes up for the miserable purchasing environment for your LE bottles, I think. ;)

I might take readily available HHBIB (sometimes at 9-friggin’-Dollars) over decent shots at LE’s...

Totally new in the Bourbon world...

I picked up a bottle of WT Longbranch today for $29.99 before taxes.  Probably will crack it open Sunday evening.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

HHBIB at $9??  Nine Dollars???   NINE DOLLARS!!!!’   That almost makes up for the miserable purchasing environment for your LE bottles, I think. ;)

I might take readily available HHBIB (sometimes at 9-friggin’-Dollars) over decent shots at LE’s...

Yes, this is my meager consolation!  :D

I've also been stocking 375's of WTRB for $14.98, and handles of WSR for anywhere from $29.99 to $31.99.  Five years ago, I'd never consider buying even a 750 of WSR.  In this environment (and given the recent, and notable improvement of recent batches), I never pass a WSR handle priced under $35... 

• I like it 1

Grabbed up a Col. EH Taylor 4-Grain, Rock Hill Farms, & Stagg Jr.    Not a bad day's haul.

AND, Grabbed a Peerless Rye BP ....for my baby Boy, mainly.

• I like it 2

Just now, Richnimrod said:

Grabbed up a Col. EH Taylor 4-Grain, Rock Hill Farms, & Stagg Jr.    Not a bad day's haul.

You should treat Country better...  :D

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, MissourMan said:

Totally new in the Bourbon world...

I picked up a bottle of WT Longbranch today for $29.99 before taxes.  Probably will crack it open Sunday evening.  

Hey, what part of the state are you in?  I'm NW KC, and there are several others in the area.  StL has a bunch too...

2 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

Hey, what part of the state are you in?  I'm NW KC, and there are several others in the area.  StL has a bunch too...

Jefferson County, South of St. Louis.

Got this yesterday. Oddly enough, it is my FIRST 1792 - including all 'bills. 

GgEIhr0.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

That’s a nice haul. All the specialty MI stores seemed to get limited bottles of ETL, RHF, Stagg jr, EHT SiB, and EHT 4Grain all at once. Once again I  could not score a EHT4G. You’ll have to let me know where you went to get all that. We need to get together soon and break open that 4Grain lol. Cheers!

Stopped in to show face again at LS been a min since I’ve been in, picked up a bottle of baby sazerac. 

Today was a day that I felt very lucky to land what I did and my wallet and credit card are still screaming from being used so much! Here is the rundown: ECBP B518, ETL, RHF, CEHT 4 Grain, KC CS Rye, Blanton's; the following Loch and K(e)y selections at Julio's Liquor, BT SB, FR PS OBSV, WTRR.

9 bottles to add to the collection. I don't think I have added this many at one time since my last case purchase of HH6yrBIB. Very happy at the haul today, but also very lucky to find this many great bourbons in one day. Wishing everyone a successful hunt tomorrow and this weekend. Cheers.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, MissourMan said:

Jefferson County, South of St. Louis.

Welcome...from another JeffCoMo neighbor.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Welcome...from another JeffCoMo neighbor.

Thanks, neighbor!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.