What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 minutes ago, Soberiquet said:

Early Father's Day purchases for myself:

ECBP B518

FRPS OESK 10yr 3mo - this completes all five E recipe yeasts for me

MMCS 375ml - always wanted to try this, finally sprung for it

Really excited for all three of these.

My self-inflicted Father's Day present was also a ECBP at 130.6

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Is that a Preiss Imports era Springbank 10 in the middle?

They both say Pacific Edge imports. I can’t tell any difference between the bottles so maybe it’s just a label change?

2 hours ago, silverc said:

I am back after a 5 day odyssey through KY, IN, and TN. I saw a lot of cool stuff, visited a lot of distilleries, mostly the craft ones this time, and went to a lot of liquor stores. I spent way too much money but also got a lot of good stuff that should last me for a long, long time. Most of these are KCSB store picks and 4R store picks, but there are a few other pickups from distilleries, and a bunch of Armagnac.

There were a lot of different KCSB barrels available, most were around $43-45, but some were cheaper at around $37-40, and some were more expensive at $50-58. Liquor Barn jacked up the price on 4R SB CS bottles to $72, which is the same price as at the distillery, but I was able to get most of them for $55-65. I didn't see any real dusties, but did get an 8yr age stated Beam Black, and the venerable Old Crow Reserve in Indianapolis.

MGP cask strength stuff was few and far between. I found some Boone County 1833 Cask strength bottles at around $80 each, but no luck with OKI. I really like Belle Meade's single barrels, but the only non-finished one I could find was at the distillery. The Belle Meade cask strength Sherry and Madieria finished ones were found in Nashville, but I couldn't find any of the cognac finished. I'm not sure if those were ever done. The best price on anything I got was 50% off on a Copper and Kings single barrel cask strength brandy from Big Red Liquors. Only $30. Not too shabby.

IMG_4133.JPG

Holy shit!  Did I count that right?  100 bottles?

That's quite a shopping spree...

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Two different barrels. Both NCF. My first ever 1.75L store pick or otherwise!

FC2F1EFD-1811-4672-8119-B312845AE129.jpeg

I had to work today, when I got off I call up there and they are already sold out. Only took 3.5hrs to sell the barrel. Damn.

22 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

That’s from the current Michter’s. So it’s still NDP bottled juice from unknown provenance since Michter’s hasn’t been distilling long enough yet. I haven’t tried it personally so I can’t comment on how it tastes. Let us know what you think when you try it

Not unknown - it's from Brown Forman. Don't know how much is contract distilled versus sourced, but it does come from BF.

I saw the Michter's branded barrels in the OF rickhouses with my own eyes, asked about them, and nobody tried to deny it.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Not unknown - it's from Brown Forman. Don't know how much is contract distilled versus sourced, but it does come from BF.

I saw the Michter's branded barrels in the OF rickhouses with my own eyes, asked about them, and nobody tried to deny it.

I know that they’ve sourced a lot from BF, especially more recently. They’ve also bottled Heaven Hill juice in the past, of course some Stitzell Weller at one point, as well as some Medley and or COK rye at some point as well. The Bomberger’s Declaration stuff certainly could be BF I just don’t get too caught up in what Michter’s is doing these days since I don’t really think they’re putting out anything I want anymore regardless. But thats just me, and I’m a little jaded

Went and stood in line at the local Liquor Barn this morning hoping to pick up a bottle of CEHT 4 Grain.  I was 13th in line and they only had 3 bottles of the 4 grain.  By the time I got in my two main choices were W12 750ml and Blood Oath Pact 4.  Agonized for a minute and then grabbed the Blood Oath.

26 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

........I just don’t get too caught up in what Michter’s is doing these days since I don’t really think they’re putting out anything I want anymore regardless. But thats just me, and I’m a little jaded

Most of us are right there with you!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, silverc said:

I am back after a 5 day odyssey through KY, IN, and TN. I saw a lot of cool stuff, visited a lot of distilleries, mostly the craft ones this time, and went to a lot of liquor stores. I spent way too much money but also got a lot of good stuff that should last me for a long, long time. Most of these are KCSB store picks and 4R store picks, but there are a few other pickups from distilleries, and a bunch of Armagnac.

There were a lot of different KCSB barrels available, most were around $43-45, but some were cheaper at around $37-40, and some were more expensive at $50-58. Liquor Barn jacked up the price on 4R SB CS bottles to $72, which is the same price as at the distillery, but I was able to get most of them for $55-65. I didn't see any real dusties, but did get an 8yr age stated Beam Black, and the venerable Old Crow Reserve in Indianapolis.

MGP cask strength stuff was few and far between. I found some Boone County 1833 Cask strength bottles at around $80 each, but no luck with OKI. I really like Belle Meade's single barrels, but the only non-finished one I could find was at the distillery. The Belle Meade cask strength Sherry and Madieria finished ones were found in Nashville, but I couldn't find any of the cognac finished. I'm not sure if those were ever done. The best price on anything I got was 50% off on a Copper and Kings single barrel cask strength brandy from Big Red Liquors. Only $30. Not too shabby.

IMG_4133.JPG

That is one AMAZING haul!!!! You must have been driving around an SUV because there is no way all of that was fitting into the trunk of a car. Once again congrats, as you will be swimming in brown water for a while.

7 hours ago, silverc said:

IMG_4133.JPG

That's an epic haul of Knob.

IMG_4133.thumb.JPG.0fd23e7fa97db5d4a77db2ed23d65db7.JPG

Awesome, can you share details on some of the Armagnac? Great bourbon selection but I know those. Still new to Armagnac and am curious about what you have.

On June 11, 2018 at 2:25 PM, Stump1998 said:

North Carolina is a good bet on the Virgin. I always get a couple bottles when I am over that way. I see it all over Western NC.

Thanks! Gonna be in Asheville in August, and will look for it.

Stocking up for summer, while it's still on sale for $12.99.

One's going in the freezer right now...

IMAG3444.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Stocking up for summer, while it's still on sale for $12.99.

One's going in the freezer right now...

IMAG3444.jpg

I read this as a sip a freshly poured 4RYL from the freezer. I recommend a glass from the freezer as well.

49 minutes ago, flahute said:

I read this as a sip a freshly poured 4RYL from the freezer. I recommend a glass from the freezer as well.

The first bottle I bought a few weeks back (per your recommendation) survived exactly one day, at a friend's party.  I just took it along in my little cooler, packed in ice.  People were blown away at how good this is.  I think 2 guys went out and got some the next day.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Awesome, can you share details on some of the Armagnac? Great bourbon selection but I know those. Still new to Armagnac and am curious about what you have.

I've only been into Armagnac for about a year. They basically have nothing at the state run ABC stores in VA, so I have had to look out of state for them all. The ones I picked up from my last trip were these, with approximate prices based on memory:

Artez 3 pack of Bacco, Folle Blanche, and Ugni Blanche (200ml each) $60
Baron de Lustrac 1979-2014 35 year 84 pr $130
Baron de Lustrac 25 Year Old Brut de Fut Bas Armagnac 82.8 pr $80
Cerbois Bas Armagnac XO 80 pr $100
Chabot Armagnac XO Superior 80 pr $80
Chateau Arton La Reserve Haut Armagnac 90 pr $60
Chateau de Briat Hors D'Age 12 year 88 pr $70
Chateau du Labaude 1982, Bottled 2017 80 pr $130
Chateau du Lacquay VSOP 80 pr $65
Chateau Du Tariquet Folle Blanche Bas Armagnac 15 yr 94 pr $65
Clos Martin VSOP 8 yr $35
Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac 1985 to 2015 30 year 86 pr $120
Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac 1987 to 2017 30 year 86 pr $100
Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac 1994 to 2017 23 year 94.4 pr Single Barrel from The Party source $100
Delord Bas Armagnac 1994 to 2014 Aged 20 Years 80 pr $100
Delord Bas Armagnac 1995 to 2015 Aged 20 Years 80 pr $100
Delord Bas Armagnac 25yr 80 pr $80
Domaine Boingneres Reserve Speciale 92 pr $80
Domaine D'Ognoas XO 10 year 80 pr $65
Jollite Armagnac XO Extra 25 Year 81 pr $70
Sempe Armagnac 15 year 80 pr $75

My favorite producers so far are Delord and Dartigalongue, although Cles de Ducs and Chateau Du Tariquet are also really nice. If you are looking to try some new stuff that isn't too pricey, I'd recommend these if you can find them:

Delord 25 year (used to be $65, but now around $80 most places)

Dartigalongue Hors D'Age ($55)

Chateau Du Tariquet VSOP ($40)

Cles des Ducs Vieil Armagnac VSOP ($35)

I've only been into Armagnac for about a year. They basically have nothing at the state run ABC stores in VA, so I have had to look out of state for them all. The ones I picked up from my last trip were these, with approximate prices based on memory:

Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac 1994 to 2017 23 year 94.4 pr Single Barrel from The Party source $100

My favorite producers so far are Delord and Dartigalongue, although Cles de Ducs and Chateau Du Tariquet are also really nice. If you are looking to try some new stuff that isn't too pricey, I'd recommend these if you can find them:

Wow thanks, what a haul. I’m slightly more interested in the one that aren’t bottled at 80 proof. I googled your pick ups and it looks you scored some pretty nice bottles and some real steaks with a few of them.

18 hours ago, silverc said:

That Dartigalongue from TPS is supposed to be excellent. Enjoy! And when you open some of those bottles let us know what you think over in the French Spirits thread.

Technically purchased last month by a buddy for me, but I just got a chance to pick it up today. I have heard good things so looking forward to giving this a try.

20180618_181445.jpg

• I like it 1

Stopped for gas on the way home and saw a LS next door I hadn't been in yet, so figgerd what-the-heck.

Well, what-the-heck scored a 1792SW for $45 otd just for asking if they had any 1792-other-than-smb (plenty of that on the shelf).  Def adding this LS to the favorable list!

20180618_203557.jpg

• I like it 1

Stocking up while the price is right... EW BIB (12 and change) and HH BIB (9 and change). 

• I like it 4

On 6/16/2018 at 6:22 PM, Skootch77 said:

They both say Pacific Edge imports. I can’t tell any difference between the bottles so maybe it’s just a label change?

Here's what the Preiss era labels look like-- typically signifying a bottling from 2011 or earlier. Not necessarily better-- just offer a different batch variation experience.

IMG_9632.thumb.jpg.685ca97b6b36e1c6ddc4e57c5bc4c857.jpg

On 6/17/2018 at 6:59 PM, silverc said:

The Delord 25 is really, really good and still $56 at my closest Total Wine.  Not an Armangac, but Daniel Boujou Royal Brut de Fut Cognac is amazing! 120 proof barrel strength, unfiltered with no color or flavor added.  Not easy to find, tho. I got my first bottle at K&L then had to get more from a merchant in France.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:41 PM, Mako254 said:

2nd bottle out of this Belle Meade barrel for me. Love the depth of flavor. 10 years, 100.7 proof. Also snagged a 9 year BT store pick. 

CC63380A-9264-40EF-B1B8-91E2B5CCF997.jpeg

Any idea why the proof is as low as it is for a Cask Strength ?  Used to see these for a short time, but no more.  MGP source IIRC.

Smooth Ambler Big Level just in case I don't like the Redbreast Lustau finish I also picked up.

(Thanks, George)

P.S.  I'm kidding about maybe not liking the Redbreast. I already opened it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.