What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, tsangster said:

OWA at $40

OW12 at $80

ECBP at $100

Tom, how close are you to Augusta? I’m wondering if these prices are jacked for the Masters or are you regularly gouged there?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

Tom, how close are you to Augusta? I’m wondering if these prices are jacked for the Masters or are you regularly gouged there?

Those are bargain prices on Weller around here. One store prices OWA at $99 and W12 at $199. $100 is the typical ECBP.

Clarification..I don't/won't  pay those prices. 

• I like it 2

My local store that I do 90% of my shopping at got some Weller 12 in and gave my bottle away <_< they have been recently pushing me craft bourbons and over priced junk, but then the actual bottle I really want, they gave it away before I got there. Thus, I left with nothing and passed on everything else

12 hours ago, DCFan said:

I'm about 2 hours from Disgusta but I doubt there's any correlation between the Masters and the bourbon prices.  Although not overly convenient, this is the most convenient store on my drive home from work.  They normally have the usual suspects at reasonable prices and only occasionally get harder to find bottles.  I've passed on the OWA there at a similar price.  Although $40 may not be overly out of line and some would argue that it's worth every penny, I find it hard to believe that it's any better than the 3 or 4 bottles I already have for which I paid less than $25 each.  The same can be said for the W12.

Don't think I've ever seen the EC there before.  Given the location of the store and usual clientele (mostly Drive-thru for a 1/2 pint of Seagrams / Smirnoff or 12 pack of Nasty LIght) I wouldn't be surprised if it hangs around for a bit.

On 3/28/2018 at 8:45 PM, Surtur said:

My local store that I do 90% of my shopping at got some Weller 12 in and gave my bottle away <_< they have been recently pushing me craft bourbons and over priced junk, but then the actual bottle I really want, they gave it away before I got there. Thus, I left with nothing and passed on everything else

That's disappointing.  Did they offer it to you and then sold it to someone else, or did they know you have been looking for it?  If nothing else, you might tell the manager how disappointed you are and see if he/she can make you a deal on something else.  

Weller 12 spotted after so long. $60? No.

Also passed a Peerless rye for $120. I'm very curious, but come on.

My usual place was, yet once again, overflowing with Foursquare 2004 and the Zinfandel. I don't know how they do it. Didn't need seconds, so pass.

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

Weller 12 spotted after so long. $60? No.

Also passed a Peerless rye for $120. I'm very curious, but come on.

My usual place was, yet once again, overflowing with Foursquare 2004 and the Zinfandel. I don't know how they do it. Didn't need seconds, so pass.

A local bourbon hole in Indy has three different single barrel store selections of Peerless Rye for $89.99 each.  I am also curious but not at that price.   

On 3/29/2018 at 7:34 AM, tsangster said:

I'm about 2 hours from Disgusta but I doubt there's any correlation between the Masters and the bourbon prices.  Although not overly convenient, this is the most convenient store on my drive home from work.  They normally have the usual suspects at reasonable prices and only occasionally get harder to find bottles.  I've passed on the OWA there at a similar price.  Although $40 may not be overly out of line and some would argue that it's worth every penny, I find it hard to believe that it's any better than the 3 or 4 bottles I already have for which I paid less than $25 each.  The same can be said for the W12.

Don't think I've ever seen the EC there before.  Given the location of the store and usual clientele (mostly Drive-thru for a 1/2 pint of Seagrams / Smirnoff or 12 pack of Nasty LIght) I wouldn't be surprised if it hangs around for a bit.

$100 for ECBP is crazy. I don't live that far from you in Winder, work in Duluth and when I see it it's around $60. Of course it goes quick. And I have never seen OWA or 12 in Georgia but then I only began this hobby a year ago. I have a bottle of OWA and $40 would be about right for what I'd be willing to pay. $80 for W12? No way. 

Edited by ondarocks

I spent a month in Augusta (back in September), and saw plenty of ECBP.  Unfortunately, it was always displayed behind the register with a $100 price tag on it.

One stop in North Carolina (passing through), kicked 10 stops in Augusta’s @$$!:lol:

I passed on everything today. Went to FIVE local LS’s hoping to find something interesting and found nothing worth dropping any coin in that I didn’t already have. Either I have too much bourbon or....oh wait...never mind...that’s impossible.  :P

• I like it 1

Last weekend was an extra long one for me and my wife. While out and about, I did buy a couple of things, but passed on everything else. The most notable passes were Pappy, BTAC and Wellers. :o Yeah. Can you believe it?  This store is an hour or so away, and IIRC, Vosgar may have mentioned it before. One example of how they are now doing business is their OWA. It's for sale, but there's a catch. The price is between double or triple suggested retail, but you can only buy it if you also purchase a bottle of swill too. It's only available as part of a package deal. :huh: Buy both and they'll give you a $50.00 discount, but that still leaves you paying $100.00 for a $30.00 bottle and another one that sucks. IMHO, this is a pretty sad example of how some stores are conducting business nowadays. I doubt I'll ever set foot in that store again. <_<

Joe

• I like it 1

HWMWND Act 5 Scene 3 for $77.99 OTD.  But I'm thinking hard and long about going back to pick up those puppies (5).  OK, I'll leave one (1) for good karma.  What a guy, huh?   :ph34r:

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

HWMWND Act 5 Scene 3 for $77.99 OTD.  But I'm thinking hard and long about going back to pick up those puppies (5).  OK, I'll leave one (1) for good karma.  What a guy, huh?   :ph34r:

So lucky, I’ve been looking for one of those bottles forever with no luck!

For the first time in many a month, I spotted a bottle of ETL on the shelf. The last time I found and bought one, it was $43.00. The price has gone up. An easy pass at $70.00. <_<

Joe

On 3/30/2018 at 5:22 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Last weekend was an extra long one for me and my wife. While out and about, I did buy a couple of things, but passed on everything else. The most notable passes were Pappy, BTAC and Wellers. :o Yeah. Can you believe it?  This store is an hour or so away, and IIRC, Vosgar may have mentioned it before. One example of how they are now doing business is their OWA. It's for sale, but there's a catch. The price is between double or triple suggested retail, but you can only buy it if you also purchase a bottle of swill too. It's only available as part of a package deal. :huh: Buy both and they'll give you a $50.00 discount, but that still leaves you paying $100.00 for a $30.00 bottle and another one that sucks. IMHO, this is a pretty sad example of how some stores are conducting business nowadays. I doubt I'll ever set foot in that store again. <_<

Joe

Was this that place in Dixon?

Been looking for Hancocks Presidents Reserve forever and finally found one today. $70... no thank you.

49 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Was this that place in Dixon?

As a matter of fact........<_<

Joe

All of these, except for a Blanton's for a friend.

Local lottery.

Had a good time hanging out with friends, so perhaps I am a winner after all. :)

IMAG3190.jpg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Local lottery.

Had a good time hanging out with friends, so perhaps I am a winner after all. :)

IMAG3190.jpg

Great prices to the left of CEHT!        Is willett releasing the 80th anniversary still or is that an older bottle?

7 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Great prices to the left of CEHT!        Is willett releasing the 80th anniversary still or is that an older bottle?

No clue.

I was surprised to see it in MO.

Wish I could have brought it home.

I'm assuming it was a special gift from the distributor/rep, because I've heard nothing about it anywhere else in town.

25 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Local lottery.

IMAG3190.jpg

WSR and Eagle Rare in a lottery? Dude, I’m sorry!

30 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

WSR and Eagle Rare in a lottery? Dude, I’m sorry!

Welcome to St. Louis.  People were REALLY excited to get WSR:huh:

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

As a matter of fact........<_<

Joe

Thats funny...I read your post after posting on another thread about one BT store pic a buddy bought that I thought was not very good. One guess where it came from...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.