What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, Fishin49er said:

I wouldn't be excited to pay $75 either but that's the going rate for Bookers and I'd argue that ECBP is a superior bourbon. 

Here in the east Bay Area there are a couple of stores that always have Booker's for $55.  Never seen ECBP in this area for less than $70.  I buy them both at those prices with no regrets... 

Well a day after buying two bottles of Willett 80th for $34 a pop, today they were on the shelf of another store for $299 

• I like it 1

Well a day after buying two bottles of Willett 80th for $34 a pop, today they were on the shelf of another store for $299 

Wow! Great price on the two you bought and utter craziness on the price gouging one today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! Great price on the two you bought and utter craziness on the price gouging one today.

I thought retail on those was $35? I guess most places are really marking them up, I don't follow the secondary and I have been avoiding stores that gouge so I'm becoming more immune to the pricing shenanigans but one of my locals has gone to the dark side which is disappointing since I've been shopping there for the better part of a decade. 

I thought retail on those was $35? I guess most places are really marking them up, I don't follow the secondary and I have been avoiding stores that gouge so I'm becoming more immune to the pricing shenanigans but one of my locals has gone to the dark side which is disappointing since I've been shopping there for the better part of a decade. 

I haven’t seen any in my area. And I’m not even certain that they were made available here. I was thinking they were priced in the $40-$50 range based on prices I’ve seen discussed by others, but I’ve also seen discussions about crazy prices too. I’d probably pay up to $50 since it’s a one time bottle even with fairly young bourbon.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

I haven’t seen any in my area. And I’m not even certain that they were made available here. I was thinking they were priced in the $40-$50 range based on prices I’ve seen discussed by others, but I’ve also seen discussions about crazy prices too. I’d probably pay up to $50 since it’s a one time bottle even with fairly young bourbon.

I'm not sure what my top number would have been but I'm looking forward to comparing it to Old Bardstown BIB since they seem to be basically the same thing.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm not sure what my top number would have been but I'm looking forward to comparing it to Old Bardstown BIB since they seem to be basically the same thing.

I was pretty disappointed in it. Total cinnamon bomb in the wrong way.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I was pretty disappointed in it. Total cinnamon bomb in the wrong way.

Have you had the Old Bardstown BIB? It's been a while but I have an unopened one so it should be a pretty fair SBS.

54 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Have you had the Old Bardstown BIB? It's been a while but I have an unopened one so it should be a pretty fair SBS.

I have had the newer Willett distilled Old Bardstown BIB and it’s similar but a little better to me. Still has that cinnamon flavor. I only had one taste so it’s not a full and fair assessment. 

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Fishin49er said:

I wouldn't be excited to pay $75 either but that's the going rate for Bookers and I'd argue that ECBP is a superior bourbon. 

I’d agree with that argument... I bought 4 Bookers @ $62.50 ea back when they said it was going to $100 figuring they’d be my last. Still have 5 or 6 ECBP 136 Proof in the bunker that were $64 so the $75 for the new stuff just couldn’t make a buyer out of me... but I may go back...:D

16 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Wow... I didn't care for it at $35... Tasted like straight up pickle juice to me... I'll try it again, but I don't hold out much hope... 

Seeing so much Pinhook. I can’t understand why people on instagram are freaking out about a 2 year Rye. I will continue to pass. 

On 4/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, KyleCBreese said:

Seeing so much Pinhook. I can’t understand why people on instagram are freaking out about a 2 year Rye. I will continue to pass. 

People are stupid. A wax dipped bottle has to be craft/artisanal/amazing doesn’t it? And people love horses, and don’t you know that they’re naming every batch after a horse? Why would you buy Bulleitt rye for $20 when you could pay $40 or more for this waxy horse juice MGP?

I love me some 6+ year cask strength MGP rye. But consumers are stupid in general and marketing and works. It’s way more fun for InstaSlaves to shoot a cool picture of new horsey juice to post rather than post a picture of the 10th bottle of WT101R they bought this year like me

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

People are stupid. A wax dipped bottle has to be craft/artisanal/amazing doesn’t it? And people love horses, and don’t you know that they’re naming every batch after a horse? Why would you buy Bulleitt rye for $20 when you could pay $40 or more for this waxy horse juice MGP?

I love me some 6+ year cask strength MGP rye. But consumers are stupid in general and marketing and works. It’s way more fun for InstaSlaves to shoot a cool picture of new horsey juice to post rather than post a picture of the 10th bottle of WT101R they bought this year like me

You had me at "People are stupid..."

• I like it 4

39 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

That's what I'm talkin about!

ER10 has been hard to find as of late, so last night I checked a couple of local B&Ms that I don't normally frequent.  No ER10, but one store had Stagg Jr. for $69.99.  While it was a good find, I just couldn't pull the trigger at that price.  My primary B&M sells Stagg Jr. for $51.99, but they currently have none on the shelf.  No worries.  I'm just gonna be patient and wait for the next batch to show up.  

Edited by MyBrainOnWhiskey

enhance

HHBIB 23$...How old is this bottle. Also thought BIB was KY only...this is in TN. 

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

HHBIB 23$...How old is this bottle. Also thought BIB was KY only...this is in TN. 

In the past HHBIB was distributed to other states. Here in MN we used to get HHBIB8  and I drank copious amounts of it as my go to pour for years. No mas though, and I don’t think I can help much with dating that particular bottling you came across besides saying that it isn’t current

^^^^Now that's what a real liquor store shelf should look like!  No boutique bullshit, just molasses in a bottle! 

It's not HH BIB, but the long gone (but not forgotten) OHH BIB (4 yr).  At one time, there was even a VROHH BIB (Very Rare Old 10 yr).

You sir, have struck onto a dusty bit of what once was, but is no longer. 

I hope you picked one up...:ph34r: 

• I like it 1

"Lovingly handcrafted and aged in Kentucky, Pinhook has in its DNA the richness of the soil, the warmth of goldenrod, the softness of the air and the character and manner of Kentucky horse country." 

image.png.c305c19fffd47f736c471e4ae8ebd92f.png

They even saved you money on a conventional wine bottle, and laser printed label!

Edited by musekatcher

Not bourbon…

Surprised to actually see this on a shelf, but passed nevertheless.

IMG_9001.thumb.jpg.e558bd1ff763de8372dfa9fb25f4ea5b.jpg

No way I would have passed. Good juice there.

I passed on HWMWND also, but @$90. Don’t see it on the shelf much here in MD but finished whiskey is just not my thing. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.