What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Michter's 25yo for $5,999.99 and a $899.99 Old Blowhard-- plus a $289.00 Weller 12 in NYC. Same store had a dusty Preiss Imports era Springbank 12 CS for $84.99-- go figure. 

8 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Passed on Elmer T. Lee at $79.99.

I'm not a huge fan of Elmer, but with the way things are going, I'd probably have picked it up at $79, because in my parts, it's north of $125 usually, *IF* its even in stock at all.  There's an unnamed shop in San Francisco asking $250 for it.  Clearly they are trying to set the market on it with that pricing, so it pricks my FOMO and my wonder "will I ever see this again?"  Hence why at $79, I'd probably bite, just to have it in case a friend that hasn't had it, gets a chance.  

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, Marekv8 said:

Michter's 25yo for $5,999.99 and a $899.99 Old Blowhard-- plus a $289.00 Weller 12 in NYC. Same store had a dusty Preiss Imports era Springbank 12 CS for $84.99-- go figure. 

I hope the guy behind the counter was at least wearing a mask so you couldn't id him!!!

I passed on the new Woodford Reserve Malted.  I didn't ask for pricing, just not interested.  It was at a shop that sells at MSRP, though.

2 hours ago, mikeydk said:

so it pricks my FOMO and my wonder "will I ever see this again?"  Hence why at $79, I'd probably bite

I think the only thing you need to fear missing is the extra $40 from your wallet.

Sure Elmer is good stuff, but FOMO is a bad decision maker if there ever was one.  The taters will already be onto the "next thing" before you even get that bottle home.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think the only thing you need to fear missing is the extra $40 from your wallet.

Sure Elmer is good stuff, but FOMO is a bad decision maker if there ever was one.  The taters will already be onto the "next thing" before you even get that bottle home.

I say - if the price on ETL gets close, equal, or above Blanton's - just get Blanton's.

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, PaulO said:

I say - if the price on ETL gets close, equal, or above Blanton's - just get Blanton's.

I'll go the extra mile here and say even Hancock's is close enough for me, with the exception of RHF because of the proof and all of the non Ancient Age bottles because of the age, the mash bill 2 bottles are close enough that I can't see any point in chasing them. 

7 hours ago, mikeydk said:

I'm not a huge fan of Elmer, but with the way things are going, I'd probably have picked it up at $79, because in my parts, it's north of $125 usually, *IF* its even in stock at all.  There's an unnamed shop in San Francisco asking $250 for it.  Clearly they are trying to set the market on it with that pricing, so it pricks my FOMO and my wonder "will I ever see this again?"  Hence why at $79, I'd probably bite, just to have it in case a friend that hasn't had it, gets a chance.  

I saw it today in the South Bay, and picked up a bottle at 49.99. I already have a couple of bottles I got for $35 on the east coast, but it's pretty much the first time I have seen it at under 100 bucks in the Bay Area so I thought I'd better take the opportunity. I took one, and left one on the shelf, may not last long. Happy to share location on PM.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

This right here. ETL is just not worth anything above $35 or so.

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, mikeydk said:

I really like Elmer and was very tempted to buy it, but I just had a hard time paying double what I have been buying it for ($32-40 is the range of what I paid for the last 3 bottles I bought in 2017).  I know somebody will snatch it up at that price and if I didn't have a back-up for my current open bottle, I would have probably bought it anyway.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

True that.  But I do like to have a wide variety, which is why I *might* pull the trigger there.  I'll never see it for anything close to that inflated price, let alone "retail" so I'm good.  :)  

3 hours ago, mikeydk said:

I'll never see it for anything close to that inflated price, let alone "retail"

Never is a long time.

18 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Never is a long time.

True.  So far that's been my experience, so far, it's never. :)  

I almost hate to admit this...............:mellow:

After Special Olympics bowling practice last Saturday morning, my wife and I had to take care of a couple of things. Our business took us to the northern edge of town. So, we decided to keep heading north. Of course I had to stop in at one liquor store to check in with the manager and tell him thanks for a couple of things he saved for me a few weeks ago. He seemed happy to see me, and asked me if I got the message on my answering machine. :huh:  I told him I didn't. He ushered me into the back room and pulled out a Weller 12 and told me that's what he called about. It was the only one he got, and he saved it for me.  But..........he also got a few other things. Two or three bottle each of RHF, HPR, Blanton's and ETL, and a half a dozen Weller SR's. All at pretty much retail. He gave me my pick of any and all those, and the Weller 12. I thanked him profusely and told him that he'd been really good to me, and I didn't want to take too much advantage of a good thing. I said I was doing okay with my bourbons, and told him to pass the stuff along to some of his other good bourbon customers. I think I surprised him a bit, but I also think he understood. As I was leaving, he said he'd let me know if anything else interesting came in. So, I passed on everything including a couple of Weller's. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

Passed on ECBP for $112 and RH Farm for $88 and $75.  All before tax. 

On 6/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I almost hate to admit this...............:mellow:

After Special Olympics bowling practice last Saturday morning, my wife and I had to take care of a couple of things. Our business took us to the northern edge of town. So, we decided to keep heading north. Of course I had to stop in at one liquor store to check in with the manager and tell him thanks for a couple of things he saved for me a few weeks ago. He seemed happy to see me, and asked me if I got the message on my answering machine. :huh:  I told him I didn't. He ushered me into the back room and pulled out a Weller 12 and told me that's what he called about. It was the only one he got, and he saved it for me.  But..........he also got a few other things. Two or three bottle each of RHF, HPR, Blanton's and ETL, and a half a dozen Weller SR's. All at pretty much retail. He gave me my pick of any and all those, and the Weller 12. I thanked him profusely and told him that he'd been really good to me, and I didn't want to take too much advantage of a good thing. I said I was doing okay with my bourbons, and told him to pass the stuff along to some of his other good bourbon customers. I think I surprised him a bit, but I also think he understood. As I was leaving, he said he'd let me know if anything else interesting came in. So, I passed on everything including a couple of Weller's. 

Biba! Joe

Good karma. Especially for your bank statement.

Passed on Stagg Jr. and ECBP. I was tempted but since I have backups of both I figured I'd leave them on the shelf for someone else. I also passed on the new Wild Turkey Revival. $150 seems steep but there's a decent chance I'll break down and grab one at some point.

Passed on store picks of 4R and BT among others all fairly priced. 

The store was limit 1 per person on the W107 regular bottle store pick and required a $100 purchase to get the opportunity to buy the 1.75. Then it turned out the $100 purchase had to be from a preselected group of spirits/wine. So my wife got an absurdly expensive half bottle of wine (for us) and I passed on all the other store picks I had planned on buying as my bill was getting too high. 

Passed on the new Old Fitz 11 year BIB @ $117.99. 

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Passed on the new Old Fitz 11 year BIB @ $117.99. 

Biba! Joe

I also passed on this one. The price of many of these limited release whiskies is crazy and the distilleries are losing me as a customer for anything other than their well crafted, wonderful, standard products (and private selections of those products). I don't begrudge them for striking while the market's hot and making a buck where they can, I just won't be a part of it.

• I like it 2

Passed on the new Jefferson's Ocean Wheat and Wild Turkey Long Branch at a tasting today.  Nothing special, especially for the price.  Also passed on Blanton's for $69.99.  I have a few bottles and with patience I can find it cheaper.  Besides there some less expensive bottles I would prefer.

Edited by mbroo5880i

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I also passed on this one. The price of many of these limited release whiskies is crazy and the distilleries are losing me as a customer for anything other than their well crafted, wonderful, standard products (and private selections of those products). I don't begrudge them for striking while the market's hot and making a buck where they can, I just won't be a part of it.

Preach it Mr. BOTY2018.

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, flahute said:

Preach it Mr. BOTY2018.

Maybe it's just because I can be a cranky SOB, but when you can buy beautiful 10-12yr old whiskies (ER, McKenna, RR, W12) for $70-$80 less than the new Old Fitz, unless it is truly an amazing whiskey you need have more than a cool bottle, IMHO.

• I like it 5

A shelf full of ECBP Cxxx for $64, which happens to be the best price I've ever seen in person. Then I surprised myself and passed thinking that I already have enough whiskey to last me a lifetime or two ;)

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.