What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Flyfish said:

But I kept all this to myself because you don't call someone a liar if he just sold you some OWA.

Yeah, but you should also follow up with saying, “That’s great to hear.  (Then write down you name and number on a piece of paper, fold it up with a $20 bill). Here’s my name and number.  How about giving me a ring when the next batch comes in?  I’d really appreciate it.”), as you shake his hand...with the info and $20 along with it...

PS:  Don’t wink while making transfer.  It might get misconstrued... :D

• I like it 2

Picked up another bottle of JB Distiller's Cut for the bunker.  Because, you know, I ... umm, don't have enough whiskey in the bunker, you see.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Flyfish said:

OWA. Woohooo! Went to my regular LS this p.m. and it was sitting there right on the top shelf. "When did you get this in?" I asked. "Yesterday," said the clerk. "Really?" I said. "Really!"  "Oh, we get it in all the time," he said. "Oh, really," I thought. "I have been coming here since before you were born but I have never seen any Weller of any kind whatsoever since, well, forever." But I kept all this to myself because you don't call someone a liar if he just sold you some OWA.

Oh you most certainly call them out. I did that once with a retailer and it turned out to be the best for both of us. Instead of just getting the leftovers, I soon got first take and sometimes it went right off the truck to me. I just wish that person was still around to talk to and see on a weekly basis. Cancer is a mean MF. May he RIP and God have mercy on his soul.

• I like it 1

On 9/26/2018 at 8:55 PM, Mako254 said:

I’ve got close to two dozen Russells picks and about 8 or so open. 

Similar numbers for Four Roses barrel picks. 

Bravo

On 9/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, Kane said:

Bringing a Stagg Jr. to a friend's PhD defense. I thought he could use a bottle regardless of the outcome.

Your friend should not worry. By the time he finishes the dissertation, he knows far more about the subject than anyone else in the room. Besides, by that point his dissertation committee has already signed off on it and their colleagues have little interest in embarrassing the committee. Still, Mrs. F. always says bourbon is for both Cs: consolation and celebration. I'm sure the Jr. will be used for the latter. 

3 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Your friend should not worry. By the time he finishes the dissertation, he knows far more about the subject than anyone else in the room. Besides, by that point his dissertation committee has already signed off on it and their colleagues have little interest in embarrassing the committee. Still, Mrs. F. always says bourbon is for both Cs: consolation and celebration. I'm sure the Jr. will be used for the latter. 

For the record, even though I wasn't in the comittee I ended up being the dick prof in the room and asked all the mean questions. He wasn't amused, and that's where the gift of bourbon came in handy :)

For the 1st time ever I saw bottles of Stagg Jr on a shelf for a reasonable price; $59.99. So I snag 1 assuming they've just gotten a recently released batch in. I'm in this store often and have never seen one there. When I get out and look it up I discover it's batch 6 the 132.5 proof???? I'm not complaining just perplexed. The gent behind the counter says he's been putting a few out and they disappear almost immediately. Has the store or the distributor been sitting on these since 2016 and why?

35 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

For the 1st time ever I saw bottles of Stagg Jr on a shelf for a reasonable price; $59.99. So I snag 1 assuming they've just gotten a recently released batch in. I'm in this store often and have never seen one there. When I get out and look it up I discover it's batch 6 the 132.5 proof???? I'm not complaining just perplexed. The gent behind the counter says he's been putting a few out and they disappear almost immediately. Has the store or the distributor been sitting on these since 2016 and why?

Some of these batch 6 could be from the distributor, but were probably just stockpiled and trickled out by the store owner.  Here in NJ, the standard rate for Stagg Jr. is around $50.  I know a store that has several batch 5 sitting there, I would think because they are priced at $70. 

Bottom line, there will always be some older batches out in the wild, for whatever reason.  Fortunately, as long as you avoid the very earliest batches, they're all good.

I have been busy with three jobs lately (real work, soccer, and remodeling a bathroom).  I am so ready for a bourbon shopping trip.  I could care less about the rare fall releases.  Sure I would like to find something.  However, I really just need to restock the bunker.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have been busy with three jobs lately (real work, soccer, and remodeling a bathroom).  I am so ready for a bourbon shopping trip.  I could care less about the rare fall releases.  Sure I would like to find something.  However, I really just need to restock the bunker.

Sounds like a great plan.  The LE chase does get tiresome.  Let us know some of things you chose to restock with.  Living vicariously through others, maybe that will help me abstain from some of my own purchases.

Picked these up along the way my ride upstate.

Michter’s is for a potential trade, the SAOS is because I never opened the one I have and found this for a pretty good price, and I’m most excited about the Mizunara Glendalough that I’ve been seeking for a few months.

89866AF5-168D-4BA7-8F75-7B595ACE894D.jpeg

Picked up a couple of plain jane stuff today:

750 of regular Knob Creek

1 liter bottle of WSR for possible future vatting of that OGD114 blend y'all keep talking about. 

• I like it 2

On 9/26/2018 at 6:55 PM, Mako254 said:

I’ve got close to two dozen Russells picks and about 8 or so open. 

Similar numbers for Four Roses barrel picks. 

This is how the Lawrenceburg cult rolls.

• I like it 2

Well I’m not quite sure how it happened but I went into my local liquor store holding my 2 year old daughter and I walked out holding her plus a Weller 12, a Whistlepig CS storepick, and an Abraham Bowman Sweet 16. I don’t know anything about the bowman but since I had never seen it I figured I’d pick it up.  Hopefully it’s good.  

• I like it 2

Well, this is more like it! Just over 14 years, 120 proof, single barrel and under $50. Store select that I will crack open soon to see if it’s worth stashing another.

DE111C65-CC50-468E-9D3D-BB2D0BF08209.jpeg

4E4F0059-2DA2-4297-97D1-78CFB4DAE029.jpeg

• I like it 1

I had to pick up a few more items for the yard today from Home Depot. I stopped at the grocery store on the way home to grab a gallon of milk. While there, I just so happened to spot a few Weller SR's on the shelf. :huh: One came home with me. :D  Nuff Ced. ^_^

Biba! Joe

sr.jpeg

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

Picked these up along the way my ride upstate.

Michter’s is for a potential trade, the SAOS is because I never opened the one I have and found this for a pretty good price, and I’m most excited about the Mizunara Glendalough that I’ve been seeking for a few months.

My boy and I recently visited the ancient site near Dublin from which the Irish in your pic acquired it's name.     An inspiring and very interesting place.     Didn't taste the brand... or at least, if I did, I can't recall it.

2 more ECBP C918 for those of you scoring at home. It is good and I need to do a SBS, but the B517 batch last year was just amazing. So glad I still have tons left in the bunker. Cheers!

Got back last night from a trip to Denmark. Picked up 3 different Blanton's SFTB bottles from 2017/2018 dump dates for around $100-120 each, and grabbed 2 more of the 4R 2017 SmB LE for about $140 each to keep for a rainy day. They still had 2 left and if they are there next time I go over I may buy them too.

I got to try an interesting rye from Germany called Stork Club. It's 100% rye, 3-4 years old, 110 proof, and was quite good. Finished in ex bourbon and white wine casks. I am not sure if it's available in the US but I think I will get a bottle if I see one again. I'm not really a rye fan but it was quite impressive.

IMG_6665.thumb.JPG.84ca9a752d45e7b25e4e84f501b0010f.JPG

• I like it 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.