What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Picked up quite a bit in KY this weekend, but this one is the best. Got it at Cork & Bottle, and they had one open to try. Very very sweet sourced juice, my guess would be a wheater. Anybody know anything about this stuff or want to wager a  guess?

20180920_200359.jpg

20180920_200352.jpg

Interestingly Clifton, NJ is a town over from me I will add some speculative "information", as far as I know the only operating "distillery" in Clifton at the time was this place which is NJ DSP-3. Up until recent times they were the only "distillery" in the state apart from Laird's though. Up until 2013 no one had actually (legally) distilled in NJ since prohibition.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Black+Prince+Distillery+Inc/@40.8704932,-74.1561645,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c2feeed230feab:0x7e857a7961aa25b2!8m2!3d40.8704932!4d-74.1539758

I have driven past this place and looked at it with curiosity many times and it looks abandoned though occasionally I do see a truck parked outside. They do have an active website which appears to have been updated as recently as 2017:

http://blackprincedistillery.com/index.php

Said website still shows a KSBW which despite my proximity I have never seen on a shelf. It does seem that some of their products might be for export.

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I know SW made decanters like this. Maybe Ezra, Michters, the distillery/distilleries in Philly, which might be a good source for a bottled in Jersey. This in addition to WT and JB that Rich mentioned.

Considering the era I would guess that the labeling of this as KSBW means it wasn't a product of PA, but Kentucky as it shows.

1 minute ago, foppa78 said:

I'm excited to try Rare Breed for the first time. Any info or opinions about this batch number?

PvBV1Bo.jpg

nFtu5yO.jpg

The 116 has been quite well rec’d by Turkey fans. The previous 112 was average in my opinion. The 116 is better than 112. Now if we can get it NCF and some more 12 year old juice in there. 

2 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

The 116 has been quite well rec’d by Turkey fans. The previous 112 was average in my opinion. The 116 is better than 112. Now if we can get it NCF and some more 12 year old juice in there. 

Thanks Mako. I've really been enjoying a bottle of Kentucky Spirit and this Rare Breed smells even better than the KS. I am excited to try it.

Edited by foppa78
  • I like it 1

27 minutes ago, foppa78 said:

Thanks Mako. I've really been enjoying a bottle of Kentucky Spirit and this Rare Breed smells even better than the KS. I am excited to try it.

If you are enjoying the Turkey profile (and it appears that you are) next stop is finding a store pick Russell’s Reserve. 

• I like it 2

Agree, the Russel Reserve store picks I've tried are most excellent.

Back on topic picked up a KC, EWBIB, JBBIB, JBBDA, and a HenryMc as I was running really low.

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

If you are enjoying the Turkey profile (and it appears that you are) next stop is finding a store pick Russell’s Reserve. 

Here is a pic from about a month ago. LS had the Russell's on sale for $39 and I couldn't pass on it. You are right, both my wife and I are really enjoying the Turkey stuff that we have tried. So much that we are considering splurging on one of the Master's Keep bottles. I don't know much about them. Do you prefer one of the Master's Keep bottles much more than others?

JyZRbBW.jpg

KrHSVnx.jpg

I like all three of the Masters Keep releases. They are all different and it would be difficult for me to pick a favorite.

• I like it 1

Foppa,

Warehouse D has been on fire this year. $40 is a great price!

Decades is my favorite though I realize it is pretty spendy in most markers. If you catch it on sale, certainly try it. 

For the money, I’d rather have multiple barrel picks. 

• I like it 1

Today's purchases were another bottle of ECBP C918 and a bottle of ETL. Just wish I could have gotten another case of HH6yrBIB before the announcement. A bargain and a half now being taken away from us.

12 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Foppa,

Warehouse D has been on fire this year. $40 is a great price!

Decades is my favorite though I realize it is pretty spendy in most markers. If you catch it on sale, certainly try it. 

For the money, I’d rather have multiple barrel picks. 

Have you compared any D picks with Tyrone D picks? There are so many variables I just have to wonder if comparisons of different warehouse picks is worthwhile; however, it’s still fun and interesting. 

31 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Have you compared any D picks with Tyrone D picks? There are so many variables I just have to wonder if comparisons of different warehouse picks is worthwhile; however, it’s still fun and interesting. 

So I had to do some digging. 

Wild Turkey currently has ‘storage buildings’ in three locations. 

The main group is in Tyrone (the actual  small town near Lawrenceburg where Wild Turkey is located). 

About an hour away near a military cemetery is the Camp Nelson location which has 6 warehouses. 

The third location, McBrayer, is near Four Roses. One of the MK releaes was pulled from McBrayer. 

Recent bottlings have added ‘Tyrone A’ or Camp Nelson A to designate. 

So Tyrone D is not a new warehouse. It is the same one that is close to the distillery. Not sure when the Camp Nelson warehouses were added but RR2002 came from there and when Eddie was in town around labor day, all the stores and clubs picked from Camp Nelson barrels.  

Hope that helps. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, foppa78 said:

KrHSVnx.jpg

RR.thumb.jpeg.4b56438e3076d9bb263993708ee78519.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

The main group is in Tyrone (the actual  small town near Lawrenceburg where Wild Turkey is located). 

About an hour away near a military cemetery is the Camp Nelson location which has 6 warehouses. 

The third location, McBrayer, is near Four Roses. One of the MK releaes was pulled from McBrayer. 

So Tyrone D is not a new warehouse. It is the same one that is close to the distillery. Not sure when the Camp Nelson warehouses were added but RR2002 came from there and when Eddie was in town around labor day, all the stores and clubs picked from Camp Nelson barrels.  

Hope that helps. 

There appears to be a D warehouse and a Tyrone D warehouse based on their neck tag labeling. 

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

There appears to be a D warehouse and a Tyrone D warehouse based on their neck tag labeling. 

Never mind, I missed your point. D and TYR D are the same warehouse. So my D pick could be Tyrone or Camp Nelson?

Found my first barrel select of Blantons .. I’m thinking it will not taste much different then regular because it was selected for a grocery store... I was Not expecting to be able to find another Elmer .. I can’t wait till try the toasted barrel (probably open this weekend)

B25BFC64-4FE0-4384-8703-9357A791A7D2.thumb.jpeg.1c345d011d01828f61984fdd74d8dbec.jpeg

Edited by Amcl0701
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Hope that helps. 

Mako, 

Cheers to you basically being an unofficial ambassador of WT.  How many open RR picks do you currently have?

Btw, all this turkey talk resulted in a pour of RB for me. 

10 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Mako, 

Cheers to you basically being an unofficial ambassador of WT.  How many open RR picks do you currently have?

Btw, all this turkey talk resulted in a pour of RB for me. 

I’ve got close to two dozen Russells picks and about 8 or so open. 

Similar numbers for Four Roses barrel picks. 

• I like it 3

OGD114, my first bottles of JB Distillers Cut and Pikesville rye.  The Pikesville was $99 when it first came out here but noticed it has dropped to $50 so I thought I would give it a try.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:48 PM, CUfan99 said:

Never mind, I missed your point. D and TYR D are the same warehouse. So my D pick could be Tyrone or Camp Nelson?

Your D is Tyrone (one of my favorites too)!

If it is Camp Nelson it will be designated as CN A of CN F.  

OWA. Woohooo! Went to my regular LS this p.m. and it was sitting there right on the top shelf. "When did you get this in?" I asked. "Yesterday," said the clerk. "Really?" I said. "Really!"  "Oh, we get it in all the time," he said. "Oh, really," I thought. "I have been coming here since before you were born but I have never seen any Weller of any kind whatsoever since, well, forever." But I kept all this to myself because you don't call someone a liar if he just sold you some OWA.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.