What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up these today, dont know anything about the Wilderness... paid 59$ at my local mom and pop so even if it was over msrp they always good to me and dont gouge.

Curious about the 230 bottles, I assume its a much larger release. ??
20180920_124829.thumb.jpg.d59e86cf1ae650f2235cef8fe8afe5e6.jpg
20180920_124835.thumb.jpg.5097d8d636acdc10cbaf9fb5fa52c116.jpg

Curious on what you think of the Wilderness, I’ve heard good things.

I stopped by an LS that both Gurgalunas and I patronize and asked if there was anything special in the "back" room. "Like what?" they asked.  "Elijah Craig Barrel Proof" I replied and they said yes, two bottles. I whipped out the Visa so fast that I didn't even bother to say "How much?".  Sounds kind of sad, doesn't it? It turned out to be a C917 which was fine by me.  I have an open C917 that I've been treating like bourbon gold, only a pour here and there, since I bought it back in Spring of this year. I haven't seen any of the 2018 releases yet. At least I have something that will help me feel much, much better after wrestling the snowblower up and down the driveway this coming winter.

• I like it 1

In response to HoustonNit above...One of our fellow SB members got a bottle of Wilderness Trail from the first release last April and shared it with everyone at the General Nelson gazebo during last April’s SB Sampler gathering. If I remember correctly, the consensus opinion was that it was not good. However, since it is a single barrel product, this bottle may have just come from a bad barrel (poor quality control if that’s the case). I’ve seen and heard some somewhat favorable reviews on this bourbon, but I’ve also seen some somewhat unfavorable reviews including my own experience with it. At this point, I’m not buying any until their barrels get a little more age on them and I get to taste it before I buy.

15 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Weller CYPB.

Well, my first grandson was born 9/6/18 and I've been thinking about a bottle to put away for his 21st birthday. Of course my initial thought was this years OFBB, but if I can't get one this year then this will probably be the bottle. Thought about the CEHT BP because of the last name and all... but not sure a 21 year-old would be able to appreciate it and there's nothing really on it to distinguish the year. So now I'm thinking a 95 proof Weller limited edition might be the one, if it is you'll have to wait until 2039 to hear my thoughts on it... ? but if I open it sooner I will certainly post here; but be warned... my reviews are usually along the  lines of:  "Amazing stuff",  "Good but not worth the money", or "Nasty at any price"... 

Edited by JTaylor
  • I like it 2

In response to HoustonNit above...One of our fellow SB members got a bottle of Wilderness Trail from the first release last April and shared it with everyone at the General Nelson gazebo during last April’s SB Sampler gathering. If I remember correctly, the consensus opinion was that it was not good. However, since it is a single barrel product, this bottle may have just come from a bad barrel (poor quality control if that’s the case). I’ve seen and heard some somewhat favorable reviews on this bourbon, but I’ve also seen some somewhat unfavorable reviews including my own experience with it. At this point, I’m not buying any until their barrels get a little more age on them and I get to taste it before I buy.

Ok good and thanks for sharing. I’ve heard mixed reviews, maybe another year has helped. Definitely something to try if I see it at a bar.

2 minutes ago, Guss West said:

Howz about ECBP C918 for the occasion?

Congrats, Grandpa! 

That would also be an excellent choice... I was lucky enough to put up 7 or 8 C916's (the last one before they were labeled with the batch and year, and one of my all time favorites by the way) and seemed like A117's were everywhere, after that I've very rarely found an ECBP around here... and if I do they're marked up which I hate and for the most part refuse to buy.

And thanks for the congrats! I have three grand daughters, but this is my first grandson... long time coming. ?

On 9/20/2018 at 4:09 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

No, Kenwood.  Wow, were those Target Barrel picks or just the regular bottles?  Never even know Target even sold bourbon!

No, not picks.

4FEB5B20-2628-47DC-B5BB-098BE270641F.thumb.jpeg.6d860a86517d271e20f2d629bb66d3c1.jpeg

I guess you bought that for the decanter and not what’s inside. I’m a nice guy and will help you dispose of it’s contents, probably full of lead anyway.

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I guess you bought that for the decanter and not what’s inside. I’m a nice guy and will help you dispose of it’s contents, probably full of lead anyway.

I need to find out more.  The ones I picked up today are all porcelain and from the 80s. Was lead an issue with those?

I need to find out more.  The ones I picked up today are all porcelain and from the 80s. Was lead an issue with those?

I think you’re ok but may want to do a little research as I’m really not sure. Worst case you could pick up some lead tests strips at a hardware store.

Interesting read, I think if you want to play it safe pour into a glass bottle for storage and don’t drink more than a glass per sitting.

23 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I stopped by an LS that both Gurgalunas and I patronize and asked if there was anything special in the "back" room. "Like what?" they asked.  "Elijah Craig Barrel Proof" I replied and they said yes, two bottles. I whipped out the Visa so fast that I didn't even bother to say "How much?".  Sounds kind of sad, doesn't it? It turned out to be a C917 which was fine by me.  I have an open C917 that I've been treating like bourbon gold, only a pour here and there, since I bought it back in Spring of this year. I haven't seen any of the 2018 releases yet. At least I have something that will help me feel much, much better after wrestling the snowblower up and down the driveway this coming winter.

Well damn. This makes me feel bad for purchasing a case of C918 ECBP today. I could have bought 2 cases, but figured the wife would freak when she saw the credit card bill. So I will hopefully get the second case next week. Sadly, the one I purchased today was for a friend and not me.

14 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Well damn. This makes me feel bad for purchasing a case of C918 ECBP today. I could have bought 2 cases, but figured the wife would freak when she saw the credit card bill. So I will hopefully get the second case next week. Sadly, the one I purchased today was for a friend and not me.

Since you're from the Granite State, I have to ask if you found that in one of the state liquor stores. The last time I was in one a couple years ago the selection of bourbon would have been generously described as pedestrian. Scotch appeared to be the whiskey of choice at that time.

2 hours ago, kwshannon said:

KCSiB store pick, 14 years in oak, $32 each. 

20180921_171236.jpg

That's a great price for that whiskey. The KCSBs that have been available here in the KC area have ranged from excellent to "better buy a spare or six". I don't know how Beam manages to find so many barrels that merit such a status but I do suspect that I'd be at the end of a very long line of volunteers should they ever ask for help.

I don’t know if it was the Walton Family Mountain Up With People feeling I had after several Old Fashions and a superb dinner at the Bardstown Bourbon Co’s Bottled & Bond Kitchen restaurant with several of Bourbonias finest people, or the damn nice looking bottle, or the gorgeous gal who talked me into buying it, or if I thought it was good at her tasting table when I tried it...but I plunked $135 down for this last week during KBF...

Anybody got a Bridge they want to sell me?  :D

7A1D9751-D110-4E1B-9FD4-BA4635F75960.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, NDN98 said:

Picked this one up today. Thought I would give it a try, because it was only $22.

I've seen a lot of publicity about this release.  Nice price.  I'll be interested to hear what you think about it.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t know if it was the Walton Family Mountain Up With People feeling I had after several Old Fashions and a superb dinner at the Bardstown Bourbon Co’s Bottled & Bond Kitchen restaurant with several of Bourbonias finest people, or the damn nice looking bottle, or the gorgeous gal who talked me into buying it, or if I thought it was good at her tasting table when I tried it...but I plunked $135 down for this last week during KBF...

Anybody got a Bridge they want to sell me?  :D

Joe, all of us who were at the gazebo later that evening know exactly why you bought the bottle (thank you for "the rest of the story", Dawn!). Apparently a pretty girl with a nice.....let's just say "rack".... can get you to do damn near anything. Troyce wasn't there to keep your ass in line :D

• I like it 2

Anybody got a Bridge they want to sell me?  [emoji3]

7A1D9751-D110-4E1B-9FD4-BA4635F75960.thumb.jpeg.65329de4129ce62f69afb8b7aeddfc06.jpeg

Thanks god i wasn’t with you for THAT one! That’s a shelf turd that I don’t need.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.