What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Picked up a John  J single barrel today, just because I’ve always heard good things and have never owned one. 

AEFABC13-CB8A-4EB3-8A82-F8DD74EE76FF.jpeg

I just finished one of those.  Good bottle, at least the one I had.  Not sure it is different enough from BT or ER for me to buy another, though. 

Picked up a couple replacements of ER and  VOB BIB on a trip across the mighty Mississippi to pick up some Founder's Better Half.  Already cracked the VOB for my NBHM pour of the day.

20180915_221020-1612x784.jpg

20180915_221239-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

On 9/14/2018 at 9:41 PM, PowderKeg said:

The name's Bond, B.I. Bond - I'm thinking a Bond marathon (in more ways than one) may be called for upon my return from the Holy Lands of KY.

I know there's more - got some of them already (and HH6yr is nowhere to be found), but these are some I can't get in LR.

Resizer_15369750250470.jpg

Hi Jerry.  I stopped at Toddy's on Wednesday afternoon.  I purchased the last two handles of Evan Williams BIB that they had.  They had 4 cases of HH 6 year priced at $200 per case.  I didn't buy any but I guess it didn't take long for them to find a home.  I'm kicking myself now for not buying a bottle of their 1792 store selection.  I sampled it and it was fabulous.  But I was saving my $$ for other purchases.  I wish I could walk that one back now.

I had a nice time taking that BT tour with you on Thursday.  James did a great job.  I hope I get another chance to see him there in the future.

Always happy to find OGD 86 still lingering on the shelf, even better when it's family size, I don't recall this bottle style being on the shelf but I was certainly paying less attention when I was younger. 

y4m6p9YUWkmxFIW6sMKVDozrRLevgeg0m9SxiWoL

y4m3avIz3GkYKBvkZc9Fmv5t9j1vGHP2JTAw77Fo

• I like it 2

Picked up several staples this weekend, including 1792SmB, FRSmB, FRSiB, MM, yet another Witherspoon private pick (TW seems to have an endless pipeline of these), and on a whim a big jug of Ezra Brooks for $20.  Maybe I'm warped from the favorable Tom Moore BiB experience at the same price point, but I figured what the heck, how bad can it be.  No age statement (I've only had that one before), but 90 proof at least.  Maybe it'll be a vatting jug worst case scenario, I suppose.

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

Picked up several staples this weekend, including 1792SmB, FRSmB, FRSiB, MM, yet another Witherspoon private pick (TW seems to have an endless pipeline of these), and on a whim a big jug of Ezra Brooks for $20.  Maybe I'm warped from the favorable Tom Moore BiB experience at the same price point, but I figured what the heck, how bad can it be.  No age statement (I've only had that one before), but 90 proof at least.  Maybe it'll be a vatting jug worst case scenario, I suppose.

Personally I quite like Ezra Brooks 90 

Picked these up in Tennessee this past week. The Cumberland Cask bottles are sealed with a wax that melts at lower temperatures than any other bourbon bottle wax I've dealt with. The wax melted and the caps popped off in the car, even though it wasn't very hot in there. Glad I noticed it before they evaporated too much. Since they were open, I tried the Vanilla Bean and Cacao Nibs finished ones. Both are very nice, and the finish on the cacao one is really long. Quite pleased by those, and I'm looking forward to trying the new Belle Meade Reserve, which is a blend of 7-10 year MGP.

Normally I take these pictures outside in the sun, but we've got the remnants of Florence dumping rain on us right now, so I am bunkered indoors, keeping dry, but well hydrated with quality booze. Good luck to all of you out there dealing with the storm and the aftermath.

IMG_6441.thumb.JPG.a7baec0e5f4005feceb2a0f12f5f70be.JPG

Asked for a new bottle to try and my local guy said he likes FEW, so I went with their bourbon. We were talking about the fall releases and he had this in the back from last year!

D4040EBC-5115-4CE6-8B17-11D93FF63D65.jpeg

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

1.75 of rear stated EC12. I love these bottles and wish they wouldn't have changed them up. 

20180916_193024.jpg

Your still finding these around?

8 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Your still finding these around?

No, a local guy had a case of them and sold this for a fairly reasonable price. The last time I saw one in a store was June 2017. 

14 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

No, a local guy had a case of them and sold this for a fairly reasonable price. The last time I saw one in a store was June 2017. 

Cool. Still, have not seen them around here since I believe 2016. Do have a bottle that I'm drinking now with NAS. Also, have 2 bottles of old bottle/old label with age statement.

Asked for a new bottle to try and my local guy said he likes FEW, so I went with their bourbon. We were talking about the fall releases and he had this in the back from last year!

D4040EBC-5115-4CE6-8B17-11D93FF63D65.thumb.jpeg.3109361ac8f5421074cdda86fbbd66d7.jpeg

The infamous OF Birthday Bourbon still evades me at a reasonable price. Perhaps this year, I will finally get lucky.
  • I like it 1

The last 2 weeks have been fruitful.

The weekend before last I was on the road, stopped at a small town place, & found 2 bottles of 1990s KC original. Except these seem to be single barrels, with a sticker on the back stating they were hand-picked for the establishment by Booker Noe. Its real good stuff, much more cherry & cinnamon with less funk than I usually get from KC. They also had RR10 for $20, so grabbed one of those as well.

This weekend got a Birthday Bourbon & a EHT BP.

Next weekend I will be in the motherland, so not sure what I will find. Hoping to find an Early Times BIB, New Riff, some store pix, & would be nice to get a HH BIB6 but that probably will be tough to find now.

• I like it 2

Yet another bottle of a Store Select EC which just happens to be 12yrs. I haven't tasted it against the original EC12 yet, but I plan on doing so before too long.

12 hours ago, JvW said:

The moment you realize that that HHBIB is being discontinued and not EWBIB...?

IMG_1482.thumb.JPG.f7c255efcf32ef964e24f24f444f5543.JPG

Great stuff!  Under $15 around here and tastes and smells like double that...

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Great stuff!  Under $15 around here and tastes and smells like double that...

That's why I was laughing at myself when I realized the mixup, but the EWBIB is my favorite cheap(er) bourbon, got 5 for $14.99/bottle and then a 5% discount on top...it will not go to waste.

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, JvW said:

That's why I was laughing at myself when I realized the mixup, but the EWBIB is my favorite cheap(er) bourbon, got 5 for $14.99/bottle and then a 5% discount on top...it will not go to waste.

How does EW BiB compare to HH BiB?  I've never had the opportunity to try the HH but, I would imagine they would be similar?  Both are BiB, same distillery, same mashbill, same price point, same shape bottle ?  Would love to hear from someone who's had both. 

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

How does EW BiB compare to HH BiB?  I've never had the opportunity to try the HH but, I would imagine they would be similar?  Both are BiB, same distillery, same mashbill, same price point, same shape bottle ?  Would love to hear from someone who's had both. 

As a fan of both, if you like EWbib then the 6yrHHbib showcases the main flavors by rounding the edges and revealing a bit more complexity which to me reads as a delicious fruitiness, amped up from whats present in the EW. The EWbib is IMO a terrific bourbon and I always have some on hand as my baseline house bourbon (neat sipping, visitors want something to mix, cooking...) for 14.00/750 I can't think of a better go-to. Up until, apparently now, the HH6 bib was 10.50/750 and its just that much better than EW that it falls into the "neat only/drink like a proper bourbon" category. That is why I have a single EWbib in the house vs. a case+ of the HH.

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

As a fan of both, if you like EWbib then the 6yrHHbib showcases the main flavors by rounding the edges and revealing a bit more complexity which to me reads as a delicious fruitiness, amped up from whats present in the EW. The EWbib is IMO a terrific bourbon and I always have some on hand as my baseline house bourbon (neat sipping, visitors want something to mix, cooking...) for 14.00/750 I can't think of a better go-to. Up until, apparently now, the HH6 bib was 10.50/750 and its just that much better than EW that it falls into the "neat only/drink like a proper bourbon" category. That is why I have a single EWbib in the house vs. a case+ of the HH.

Thanks for the review.  The HH BiB sounds like great stuff.  I wish it were available here in California.  I can't even find an online source...

Might be just me but those extra two years seems to add a lot of wood influence which may not be for everyone. The EWBIB seems more delicate and I get more caramel and vanilla. Both are good and I’d give the edge to HHBIB but some prefer EW. I’d be happy with either at it’s price point. I actually like the 6yr Fighting Cock the most of the HH similar aged, price and proof bourbons. I’d like to try a few other variants like JTS Brown BIB but it’s not available here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.