What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good day indeed.

This 4R pick sold out in about one day.

Hopefully it's good.

OBSV & OBSQ are probably my favorite recipes, but let's be honest - they're all pretty good.

And nobody turns down Elmer @ normal price.  Always a crowd pleaser.

IMAG3475_1.jpg

IMAG3476.jpg

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Good day indeed.

Hopefully it's good.

OBSV & OBSQ are probably my favorite recipes, but let's be honest - they're all pretty good.

IMAG3475_1.jpg

IMAG3476.jpg

I'm out of town for work. Luckily my wife is awesome and got me a bottle of the 4R. Then she asked if I wanted her to grab another one. It's crazy they already sold out. I'm looking forward to opening it Monday. 

• I like it 2

Found a WTKS pick while visiting StL.  Passed on 3 different 4R PS, but picked up one a buddy had grabbed for me awhile back.  Still planning on a few more stops before we leave town Monday.

20180707_182500_crop_483x661.jpg

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

Found a WTKS pick while visiting StL.  Passed on 3 different 4R PS, but picked up one a buddy had grabbed for me awhile back.  Still planning on a few more stops before we leave town Monday.

20180707_182500_crop_483x661.jpg

Some might call me crazy, but I feel the WTKS from TWCP stands up well to some of the great RRSiB store picks I've had. 

12 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Some might call me crazy, but I feel the WTKS from TWCP stands up well to some of the great RRSiB store picks I've had. 

You're not crazy.  It's definitely a step above the one RRSiB pick I've tried.  That one was all burn...  probably not the best one to compare it to, it wasnt a great pick...

I like it better than the WTRB I had last fall too.  Haven't tried the most recent version of RB though.

Edited by gurgalunas

Was two hours away from home and stopped into a random liquor store and couldn’t pass this one up...

68F1F147-0415-4D93-84FE-F306246E3E3B.jpeg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

That looks fantastic. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I'm out of town for work. Luckily my wife is awesome and got me a bottle of the 4R. Then she asked if I wanted her to grab another one. It's crazy they already sold out. I'm looking forward to opening it Monday. 

Well I have to admit I participated in this one as well.  Since they’re willing to ship I jumped on this.   I’m excited as V is my second favorite yeast and it seems like most picks I’ve seen recently have been 8-9 years and not 10+. 

• I like it 2

I passed on the TWCP OBSV pick. Didnt know they had Elmer, though. I picked these 2 up today at 2 different stores. The SJR was $45.65 and the ECBP was a little high at $69.99.  Left multiples of both on the shelf. Passed up multiples of all the rest of these today: WSR ($22), Blanton's ($55), Baby Saz ($26), ER10 ($35), RY10 ($48), AE ($45). 

20180707_210917-1209x1612.jpg

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

I passed on the TWCP OBSV pick. Didnt know they had Elmer, though. I picked these 2 up today at 2 different stores. The SJR was $45.65 and the ECBP was a little high at $69.99.  Left multiples of both on the shelf. Passed up multiples of all the rest of these today: WSR ($22), Blanton's ($55), Baby Saz ($26), ER10 ($35), RY10 ($48), AE ($45). 

20180707_210917-1209x1612.jpg

That’s a hell of a price on the Stagg Jr. is that batch 9? I can’t see the proof.

1 minute ago, DeepCover said:

That’s a hell of a price on the Stagg Jr. is that batch 9? I can’t see the proof.

Yes..batch 9. That particular store ALWAYS has SJR on the shelf. They actually raised their price since the last one I bought in November at $43.65. They had 2 more batch 9s and 1 bottle of batch 8 I think which was still priced at the $43.65 price. I had heard so many good things about batch 9 that I picked that one.  Up until now I think batch 6 has been my fave. Down to only 1 batch 7 in the bunker.  The store I bought the ECBP at had SJR batch 9 as well but wanted $80.

4 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Yes..batch 9. That particular store ALWAYS has SJR on the shelf. They actually raised their price since the last one I bought in November at $43.65. They had 2 more batch 9s and 1 bottle of batch 8 I think which was still priced at the $43.65 price. I had heard so many good things about batch 9 that I picked that one.  Up until now I think batch 6 has been my fave. Down to only 1 batch 7 in the bunker.  The store I bought the ECBP at had SJR batch 9 as well but wanted $80.

The batch 9 is special IMO. I have 3 bottles and continue to look for more when I see them at reasonable prices. $50 is the best i’ve seen it.

22 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

The batch 9 is special IMO. I have 3 bottles and continue to look for more when I see them at reasonable prices. $50 is the best i’ve seen it.

I'll try it soon. If it's as special as you say, I'm pretty sure they will still have them for a few weeks. Small town store.

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Good day indeed.

Hopefully it's good.

IMAG3475_1.jpg

IMAG3476.jpg

Good to see the age of these 4R bottles increasing.  Hope it tastes good.

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Well I have to admit I participated in this one as well.  Since they’re willing to ship I jumped on this.   I’m excited as V is my second favorite yeast and it seems like most picks I’ve seen recently have been 8-9 years and not 10+. 

That is probably the biggest reason why it should out so quickly. I haven't seen a double digit aged bottle of Four Roses in a long while. Opened a recent bottle from a store that is known for making great picks but this is younger than 9 years and you can tell. It isn't the worst Four Roses I have had, but it is getting close. I am hoping some air time will help it. Pure age alone helped this one fly off the shelves I'm sure.

Last one out of this barrel. I have purchased a couple, this one is for an out of state friend. 

EF817CB4-0E30-40B4-A447-A8059FCDD1A7.jpeg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Last one out of this barrel. I have purchased a couple, this one is for an out of state friend. 

EF817CB4-0E30-40B4-A447-A8059FCDD1A7.jpeg

Is it me?

• I like it 3

My wife and I ventured to the outlying southwest Chicago burbs yesterday. We went to a very large indoor sports/game/work out facility for a 6th birthday party for our grandson Bryce. The kids and adults enjoyed a game of Nerf capture the flag, (Similar to paintball, but using Nerf soft dart guns instead.) followed by pizza and zombie cupcakes. :ph34r:  A fun time was had by all. 

On the way back home we managed to stop by a few places. Among the places we stopped were a couple of Binny's. :P I was looking for more of their private selections, in particular something from BT.  The first store was a bust. I thought the second store was too. There was nothing from BT, but I talked to the whiskey guy there, and he recommended one of their KCSB Reserve picks. I didn't want to come home empty handed, so I bought one. I'm glad I took his advice. This is a good 'un. :)  Lot's going on, but in a very positive way. I'll try and post some tasting notes once I get this one figured out a little. ^_^

Biba! Joe

kc1.jpeg

kc2.jpeg

• I like it 1

Wife spent the weekend in Nashville with our daughter so a couple of friends and my son decided to hit Wild Turkey for a tour.  After the tour we ran over to Four Roses.  We missed the last tour but did a tasting.  After the tasting I picked up a couple of replacement bottles.  I probably wouldn't have got them there but they were signed by Al Young.  After that we ran up to Cincinnati to Top Golf and after that hit Hofbrauhaus in Newport for dinner.  After dinner we stopped by Party Source.  I fought off the urge to get some bourbon and wasn't going to get anything until I saw a bottle of Vodka from Castle and Key.  As this was the first C & K anything that I had seen I picked it up.

Resized_20180708_094415_5039.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife and I ventured to the outlying southwest Chicago burbs yesterday. We went to a very large indoor sports/game/work out facility for a 6th birthday party for our grandson Bryce. The kids and adults enjoyed a game of Nerf capture the flag, (Similar to paintball, but using Nerf soft dart guns instead.) followed by pizza and zombie cupcakes. :ph34r:  A fun time was had by all. 

On the way back home we managed to stop by a few places. Among the places we stopped were a couple of Binny's. :P I was looking for more of their private selections, in particular something from BT.  The first store was a bust. I thought the second store was too. There was nothing from BT, but I talked to the whiskey guy there, and he recommended one of their KCSB Reserve picks. I didn't want to come home empty handed, so I bought one. I'm glad I took his advice. This is a good 'un. :)  Lot's going on, but in a very positive way. I'll try and post some tasting notes once I get this one figured out a little. ^_^

Biba! Joe

kc1.jpeg

kc2.jpeg

KC isn't normally in my wheelhouse, but those Binny's picks have been pretty good. Tough to beat for the price too.

I need more bourbon like I need a hole in the head. So just shoot me. :blink: 

A text message circulated amongst the members of our local bourbon/cigar group that a certain local store had 375's of KC and MM on sale @ 2 for $20.00. Yeah I did. :huh:

Biba! Joe

220.jpeg

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I need more bourbon like I need a hole in the head. So just shoot me. :blink: 

A text message circulated amongst the members of our local bourbon/cigar group that a certain local store had 375's of KC and MM on sale @ 2 for $20.00. Yeah I did. :huh:

Biba! Joe

I almost forgot something.

Whenever anyone buys a bottle from Smooth Ambler, the inevitable question arises, Sarah?  Well, I've been buying MM since I first got into bourbon 12 years ago. On more than one occasion while on a tour there, I remember them saying that while all bottles are hand dipped in the same basic manner, most people on the bottling line still have their own uniqueness when it comes to the wax tendrils, and that in many cases you can actually tell who dipped which bottles. I tend to believe this is true. I've purchased a "plethora" of bottles of MM over the years, and I've noticed that certain bottles have a single, much longer tendril on the back of the bottle. If I'm buying a bottle of MM and see this, I'll purchase that bottle. Such was the case today. What can I say? :D

Biba! Joe

mm.jpeg

Found a 4RPS over 10 years for the first time in a long time, so it came home with me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.