What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'd be surprised if you need to do those 3 blind

It was simple to know which was which. OWA won hands down. 

8 hours ago, flahute said:

Wut?????!?

I must know what this pairing is.

Home made vanilla shortbreads, some store-bought "white" cookies with a dollop of jam baked in the center, and one big chocolate/chocolate chip.  They go quite well with Bakers.

• I like it 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, HoustonNit said:

Opened up the WT8yr export and the WTKS tonight to compare with a RR pick, fun experiment. I added a few drops to the RR and it and the KS are quite similar. Not surprising they where picked the same day by the same group and bottled this year. The WT8yr is a 2010 bottling September 21st bottled at I believe 8:33 PM, looks they had two bottling shifts back than? I’m probably the only one that thinks this but I like the new Turkey over the older stuff. Now I’ve never had anything before 2001 when I started drinking Turkey so cant comment on that old funky stuff.

I actually like the WTKS the most tonight, it’s the sweetest of the three. However I’m sure some nights I’ll prefer the much less sweet more spicy 8yr.

IMG_5448.JPG

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, kevinbrink said:

I don't read his blog often but Rarebird101 had a good post the other day about batch variation that I think was really spot on, I can't say I consistently like old or new bottles of turkey better (the oldest I've had is an 80's 8 yr 101) but I think that there are gems all throughout and aside from a couple duds at the end of the last decade all are at worst solid. 

Well those newer ones are hand-picked barrels whereas the 8 yr was large batch standard stock 101 at the time, and would have sold for the entry level price point.  KS and RR are considered premium top shelfers. 

Starting the afternoon off with a nice pour of KC SB store pick. Their is some great KC store picks out in the wild. 

Well those newer ones are hand-picked barrels whereas the 8 yr was large batch standard stock 101 at the time, and would have sold for the entry level price point.  KS and RR are considered premium top shelfers. 

Was it? I thought even in Europe they offered a more base level non age stated WT101 and than a slightly more selective 8yr back in 2010? That’s the situation now. Also even if the the base offering for export is this 8yr would think there a little more selective than when they are bottling for domestic standard 101.

53 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Was it? I thought even in Europe they offered a more base level non age stated WT101 and than a slightly more selective 8yr back in 2010? That’s the situation now. Also even if the the base offering for export is this 8yr would think there a little more selective than when they are bottling for domestic standard 101.

They don't make the age stated stuff for any market anymore, those 8 yr are dusties in Europe.  I haven't  bothered to research the timeline lately but at one time the 8 year was the standard 101 mass batched juice.  They continued to offer it in export markets only because those markets demanded and valued age statements.

Dang, this weekend flew by.  About ready to set up my day tomorrow, with a pour from an ‘03 vintage Ezra B 15 year.  One of those big butterscotch-ey bourbons with terrific mouthfeel.  

AD49BDD2-221C-4024-8B2C-2C2F8CD1AAA1.jpeg

• I like it 3

Dang, this weekend flew by.  About ready to set up my day tomorrow, with a pour from an ‘03 vintage Ezra B 15 year.  One of those big butterscotch-ey bourbons with terrific mouthfeel.  
AD49BDD2-221C-4024-8B2C-2C2F8CD1AAA1.thumb.jpeg.c7e0947986879bd9e2c2b3da9ca868b1.jpeg

Damn, I miss that bourbon :(

They don't make the age stated stuff for any market anymore, those 8 yr are dusties in Europe.  I haven't  bothered to research the timeline lately but at one time the 8 year was the standard 101 mass batched juice.  They continued to offer it in export markets only because those markets demanded and valued age statements.

Thinking of Turkey. Happy Halloween.

IMG_5478.JPG

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Dang it Joe! I haven't had the 15yr, and although it's been quite a while, I don't recall my '05 12yr being nearly as good as what you're saying the 15 is. Please tell me you're lying and it isn't that good.....

1 minute ago, foppa78 said:

That is an unusual sticker.  What batch is that? 

Funny, the new ones with the pictures look unusual to me after years of Booker's looking like this one, it's C01-A-18 6 years 7 months 124.9 proof, distilled and barreled in Clermont on January 18, 2001 and bottled in July or August of 2007.  My recollection is the labels switched to the year and batch number in 2013 and then to the current version in 2015.

35 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Funny, the new ones with the pictures look unusual to me after years of Booker's looking like this one, it's C01-A-18 6 years 7 months 124.9 proof, distilled and barreled in Clermont on January 18, 2001 and bottled in July or August of 2007.  My recollection is the labels switched to the year and batch number in 2013 and then to the current version in 2015.

Are those old batches just like the new ones or did the Booker's line change any with the label change? 

1 minute ago, foppa78 said:

Are those old batches just like the new ones or did the Booker's line change any with the label change? 

Others will likely have a different opinion but to me while each batch of Booker's has had some variation over the years, there is definitely a base profile that stays somewhat consistent if that makes sense. I wouldn't pay more for an older batch, but since Booker's price increase older batches tend to actually be less expensive around here. 

Friday night some friends came down for dinner and since it was just across the street from Packages & More we just HAD to stop by.  I ended up picking up a bottle of ET BIB (based on other posters comments) so when we got back to the house we popped the cork and enjoyed some.  It was good but not in the same league as the 4R PS Sib OESV that I also enjoyed.  While at the Red/White scrimmage at the KFC Yum Center yesterday I enjoyed a double of EC.  Last night before bedtime was a PS of WTKS and then one of my favorites, CEHT SmB.

Well, the kids requested some Toll House cookies from mom last evening, so I of course partook.  And grabbed a Weller 12 from the cupboard, as I thought it would be a nice complement.  And it was...

A5356638-C1B7-4844-AA35-E2BCF1BFF5C4.jpeg

• I like it 2

This evening the “house blend” 1792RR &VOB BiB. This is such a delicious and easy drinking combo. Great way. To. Start the week. 

I knew this Monday was coming...

So, I went at it hard...and, it came hard at me.  The Russian Judge scored 10-9 for Monday.  The US judge had it 10-9 for Me.  The Swiss judge limped in with his usual 10-10...Too tired to give much effort on a bruiser of a whiskey, but need a challenge, still.  GBS EC PS over ice is just what Ferdie Pacheco ordered.  A strong nose to clear my head, followed by a firm palate to take the swelling down, and a sparkly finish to throw a sponge full of water on my face to get me primed for tomorrow without pushing me off my stool and through the ropes.

Ding...Ding...

49E02FF8-55C2-4472-9997-09F7215D2795.jpeg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.