What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

just sipping on OWA. Medicinal purposes you see.  got a bit of a chest infection and cold but its still tasting mighty good.

Edited by anthony. g.
  • I like it 2

Opened a store pick Eagle Rare. It's ok. Never been a huge fan of ER personally and this isn't going to sway me but it's pleasant enough for a rainy Monday. 

3 hours ago, anthony. g. said:

just sipping on OWA. Medicinal purposes you see.  got a bit of a chest infection and cold but its still tasting mighty good.

Me too!   Or maybe I'm just tired from cheering for the Red Sox and Patriots last night . . . . . . ☺️

• I like it 1

Good time to be a sports fan in Boston. I can cheer for the Sox - they were a better team than my Yanks.  Just can’t root for the Pats!

Sipping some Lot B while watching the NLCS.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, El Vino said:

Good time to be a sports fan in Boston. I can cheer for the Sox - they were a better team than my Yanks.  Just can’t root for the Pats!

Heh, heh - it's always a good time to be a sports fan in Boston.  We just have to try really really "hahd" not to be too obnoxious about it.  J/K!  ☺️

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Heh, heh - it's always a good time to be a sports fan in Boston.  We just have to try really really "hahd" not to be too obnoxious about it.  J/K!  ☺️

GeeTen, Uhh . . . you're being too obnoxious. LOL!

Last night was a pour of a Mammoth Liquors PS 4R SiB OESV, 10 yr. 4 month, 110.8 proof.  I'm really digging this one.  A really good mix of sweet and spicy.  Followed it with a pour of Whistle Pig 10 y.o. Straight Rye.  Got to admit I like the 4R a lot better.

Heh, heh - it's always a good time to be a sports fan in Boston.  We just have to try really really "hahd" not to be too obnoxious about it.  J/K!  [emoji5]

Can’t wait to the Stros close out this series at home. You hear about the Sox pitchers rubbing tar on the balls? Cheating must be in the water in New England. Wonder what happens when the Pats implode in the next few years, Brady is in his 49s and there’s a riff between the hooded one TB12 and Kraft.

29D37E91-E84E-45B6-9A20-253B2224BCE0.thumb.jpeg.c1747b761c229f1cda912e90517b910b.jpeg

Going for the strong stuff while watching a soccer game.  Nice evening so far. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Can’t wait to the Stros close out this series at home. You hear about the Sox pitchers rubbing tar on the balls? Cheating must be in the water in New England. Wonder what happens when the Pats implode in the next few years, Brady is in his 49s and there’s a riff between the hooded one TB12 and Kraft.

It ain't over 'til it's over but . . . . . . . . . ☺️

It ain't over 'til it's over but . . . . . . . . . [emoji5]

Yeah Sox are up 2-1, Keuchel shouldn’t be the number 3 starter. Oh well certainly not over yet.

I’m actually ok with the Stros losing to the Sox, Yankees on the other hand....

Some WTKS from Westport Whiskey and Wine in Louisville, KY. This has opened up nicely with a little air. They do some fantastic picks.

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah Sox are up 2-1, Keuchel shouldn’t be the number 3 starter. Oh well certainly not over yet.

I’m actually ok with the Stros losing to the Sox, Yankees on the other hand....

Celebrated JBJ's 8th inning Grand Slam "homah" with a very healthy pour ("gimme' 2 fingers and spread 'em") of the Loch & K(e)y MMPS.  YUM!   ☺️

• I like it 4

6 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Banana Puddin’ !

Thinking of my bourbon buddy @Harry in WashDC

BDCE0AB3-E0D4-4118-BAA0-72AFCBC3ACC1.jpeg

Well, now that they changed the label (i.e., "Signature" does not appear, at least I don't think it does), maybe . . .  If not, I can live quite nicely with the 1897.

Myself tonight - "South Park" while sipping on Baker's with a little ice.  This stuff could get addictive.  Been sipping on it neat, with ice, and with cookies since I got it home about 2PM today.

Opened up the WT8yr export and the WTKS tonight to compare with a RR pick, fun experiment. I added a few drops to the RR and it and the KS are quite similar. Not surprising they where picked the same day by the same group and bottled this year. The WT8yr is a 2010 bottling September 21st bottled at I believe 8:33 PM, looks they had two bottling shifts back than? I’m probably the only one that thinks this but I like the new Turkey over the older stuff. Now I’ve never had anything before 2001 when I started drinking Turkey so cant comment on that old funky stuff.

I actually like the WTKS the most tonight, it’s the sweetest of the three. However I’m sure some nights I’ll prefer the much less sweet more spicy 8yr.

IMG_5448.JPG

• I like it 3

Had a very healthy pour of my 2018 Old Fitz BiB 9yr last night after the ups and downs and ups of the Sox/Stros epic last night.  My heart can't take much more of this . . . .  but it's still a great ride.    ☺️

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Opened up the WT8yr export and the WTKS tonight to compare with a RR pick, fun experiment. I added a few drops to the RR and it and the KS are quite similar. Not surprising they where picked the same day by the same group and bottled this year. The WT8yr is a 2010 bottling September 21st bottled at I believe 8:33 PM, looks they had two bottling shifts back than? I’m probably the only one that thinks this but I like the new Turkey over the older stuff. Now I’ve never had anything before 2001 when I started drinking Turkey so cant comment on that old funky stuff.

I actually like the WTKS the most tonight, it’s the sweetest of the three. However I’m sure some nights I’ll prefer the much less sweet more spicy 8yr.

IMG_5448.JPG

I don't read his blog often but Rarebird101 had a good post the other day about batch variation that I think was really spot on, I can't say I consistently like old or new bottles of turkey better (the oldest I've had is an 80's 8 yr 101) but I think that there are gems all throughout and aside from a couple duds at the end of the last decade all are at worst solid. 

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, now that they changed the label (i.e., "Signature" does not appear, at least I don't think it does), maybe . . .  If not, I can live quite nicely with the 1897.

Myself tonight - "South Park" while sipping on Baker's with a little ice.  This stuff could get addictive.  Been sipping on it neat, with ice, and with cookies since I got it home about 2PM today.

Is this the new Signature?

I don't read his blog often but Rarebird101 had a good post the other day about batch variation that I think was really spot on, I can't say I consistently like old or new bottles of turkey better (the oldest I've had is an 80's 8 yr 101) but I think that there are gems all throughout and aside from a couple duds at the end of the last decade all are at worst solid. 

I like 2010 bottle, it’s good and I think most people that are Turkey fans would probably prefer as it has more spice and is less sweet. However at least yesterday I preferred the newer versions, good news as they are making plenty more of the new stuff everyday.
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Is this the new Signature?

IIRC, OF Signature was/is the basic 100 proof offering from OF but is not labeled as BIB.  It accompanies the "Classic 86".  Both are distributed nationally @ bottom-to-mid-shelf prices.  Starting in mid/late 2016, OF started marketing its "Whiskey Row" lineup at mid-to-upper shelf prices: 1870 @ 90 proof which is a mix of barrels from three warehouses with different entry proofs and different days of production and different flavor profiles; 1897 which is BIB; 1910 which is 93 proof and double barreled (i.e., aged in one barrel then aged some more in another barrel); and 1920 which is bottled @ 115 proof.  OF also sells The President's Choice which is a limited edition and is only available in KY, and The Statesman which is made from barrels in the hottest parts of the warehouses (or so "they" say) and is 95 proof.

RE your question: I dunno the answer, but . . . I THINK today's Sig with its label change (see the next sentence) is just a continuation of OF's basic 100 proof offering.  Somebody on SB recently posted that they thought the profile had changed some from when, like 2 years ago, the label explicitly called it "Signature".  I do not know if the profile changed when the label did because I "was not happy" with the two Sigs (with the old label) I bought, one in 2014 and one in 2017 to see if my 2014 experience was an anomaly - it was not.  I do know that OF Sig sells for about ONE-HALF what the 1897 BIB sells for.  Hence, another years or so has gone by; maybe it is time to try it again.

This thinking has made me thirsty.  Tonight will be a 4R CULT experience - OBSV 9yr 10 mo 60.3%.

• I like it 3

Stressful week at work means more bourbon has been "enjoyed" than an average week, but so far:

Rock Hill Farms

Four Roses SiB

Old Forester 1920

Heaven Hill 6 BiB

On the Old Forester talk, what is the opinion on the Old Forester PS SiB? I think I could track one down with some effort, but have not bothered before. I know it's different from their standard offerings. I have killed a bottle or two of the Signature and thought it was a good straightforward bourbon for the price. I'm working on a first bottle of the 1920 and it is pretty good. Unless there are some real honey barrels mixed into their PS program, it seems like sticking to the 1920 is probably the best bet. Does that jibe with the general consensus? I have been tempted by the 1897 just in the name of collecting BiBs, but held off so far.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.