What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

41 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I’ve heard just hot tea, a little lemon and if you can local honey or just any honey, also some whiskey neat on the side to go with it. The tea is supposed to help soothe your throat, lemon for vitamin C, local honey is supposed to help with local areas infections and is also a good cough suppressant, whiskey will open your pours and help you sleep.

I made one with some WSR, honey, and lemon with some hot water. It was terrible. I brewed some lemon lift tea and mixed the 2 together. It was drinkable and did seem to help some.

Ive been on a high rye bourbon kick for the 2 months. This one has been screaming "hey, what about me?!" Sorry for the neglect, little buddy. 

20181119_194434.jpg

I made one with some WSR, honey, and lemon with some hot water. It was terrible. I brewed some lemon lift tea and mixed the 2 together. It was drinkable and did seem to help some.

Yeah I’d just drink the whiskey by itself.

I bought third bottle last Thanksgiving in Western NY when visiting, I’m thinking this is two year old RRSB store pick. Maybe a bit off profile but taste like it was a barrel that aged gracefully into the 10+ year range with a bunch of caramel sweetness. Really liked it and was shocked to see the last few bottles still available on closeout, this year. Picked up two more and enjoying the last third of a bottle I opened last year. Sitting outside on some folding chairs in the garage on a crisp November night by Lake Ontario with some bargain sticks.

IMG_5692.thumb.JPG.2f17ef5c27887490c135e9591684ed41.JPG
IMG_5694.thumb.JPG.c15b9908e046f04036a93da41d41af0a.JPG

Ok just checked the laser code on this it’s a 2014 bottling, I might email WT to see if they can give me the age.

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok just checked the laser code on this it’s a 2014 bottling, I might email WT to see if they can give me the age.

I asked RareBird101 about these and he said based on conversations he’s had with Eddie they are 9 to 10 years old with some store picks up to 11 years old. Also, based on it being a 2014 bottling and a store pick it would likely be juice that entered the barrel at 110 or 107 proof. Entry proof changed in 2004 from 107 to 110 and again in 2006 to 115 proof. If yours is 10 years old it had 107 or 110 entry proof or if it’s 11 years old it went in at 107 for sure. So basically these are as close to CS as you can get. 

13 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I asked RareBird101 about these and he said based on conversations he’s had with Eddie they are 9 to 10 years old with some store picks up to 11 years old. Also, based on it being a 2014 bottling and a store pick it would likely be juice that entered the barrel at 110 or 107 proof. Entry proof changed in 2004 from 107 to 110 and again in 2006 to 115 proof. If yours is 10 years old it had 107 or 110 entry proof or if it’s 11 years old it went in at 107 for sure. So basically these are as close to CS as you can get. 

What he said. With any single barrel, there will be some variance but most of these are really good in my experience. 

@CUfan99 thanks for the very informative post. I’m hoping for a response on the age from WT, although expect a delay as I assume Turkey holiday is a big deal at that place and a lot of folks are on vacation.

I didn’t think about the fact this likely has lower entry proof whiskey in it.

56 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

@CUfan99 thanks for the very informative post. I’m hoping for a response on the age from WT, although expect a delay as I assume Turkey holiday is a big deal at that place and a lot of folks are on vacation.

I didn’t think about the fact this likely has lower entry proof whiskey in it.

You’re welcome. Older, no longer produced the same with a story to go along with it definitely makes it taste better. ;)

4R 2018 SmB LE - agree with other comments that this is as good as if not better than the 2015. Certainly beats the 16 and 17. 

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I bought third bottle last Thanksgiving in Western NY when visiting, I’m thinking this is two year old RRSB store pick. Maybe a bit off profile but taste like it was a barrel that aged gracefully into the 10+ year range with a bunch of caramel sweetness. Really liked it and was shocked to see the last few bottles still available on closeout, this year. Picked up two more and enjoying the last third of a bottle I opened last year. Sitting outside on some folding chairs in the garage on a crisp November night by Lake Ontario with some bargain sticks.

IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG

How did those cigars smoke?  Just picked up a box for $30 myself...  5.75 x 48 corona?

How did those cigars smoke?  Just picked up a box for $30 myself...  5.75 x 48 corona?

Ha we got the same deal, I liked it. That being said if you have a humidor I’d put them up a month or so.
  • I like it 1

Turkey Day Week (credit still to Harry) continues today with this mongrel of a gobbler, I've had the bottle for a few years but after having a pour as part of a flight at the Brown Hotel a couple years ago and being underwhelmed I never really was compelled to open it, the good news for me is that I'm enjoying it more than my recollection, it's nothing spectacular but it's not bad at all. 

y4m1ibaQLzbCPkLT1hkJE9Z1jaqBtpkSY6zD7DSo

• I like it 1

Finally getting to this bottle, Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 Yr. Old (Batch 186) (Bottle Date 6/21/16) (99 Proof). Pretty tasty, nice cinnamon, vanilla, oaky, nice dry finish. Looking forward to the other's I have from SA.

qaT1X5F.jpg

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Mako254 said:

What he said. With any single barrel, there will be some variance but most of these are really good in my experience. 

Never had a bad one. I've not even had an average one. They've all been good to great with most being great.

Some EHT Single Barrel for me tonight. Nice pour with dinner and after the kids went to bed on this wonderful snowy night.

• I like it 2

On 11/19/2018 at 7:32 PM, Clueby said:

Here is what I do for Hot Toddy's.  Wife is a big fan and during the cold months can really help me get through some bottles quickly.  

Fill mug with boiling water and let sit while tea steeps.  After a minute or two dump water and add honey to bottom of warm mug.  I generally use enough to cover the bottom and adjust to taste.  Squeeze half lemon over honey and stir.  Add 2oz bourbon then top with tea.  Bourbon wise I think 100 plus proof works best.  Any BiB is good and actually found that KC single barrel makes a very nice hot toddy.  

58 minutes ago, Dabbings said:

Got off work early today!

1910 is very good!

20181121_151148.jpg

How does it taste mixed with root beer? :)

Old Forester Statesmen. A little rough round the edges but for the proof there's a hell of a lot of flavour. Sweet an oaky with a bitter finish. Good stuff. 

• I like it 1

On 11/20/2018 at 5:34 PM, HoustonNit said:

Ha we got the same deal, I liked it. That being said if you have a humidor I’d put them up a month or so.

I’d recommend doing this with any new purchase. Really 2-3 months to let stabilize at the RH you prefer. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.