What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

55 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WT 101 - after all, Thanksgiving Week started at 12:01AM today.

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Sweet!  Rare Breed here, right with you.  Cheers to Thanksgiving Week!

I'm not sure if I ever need an excuse to drink WT but I've been sick for the last bunch of days and haven't had a pour since Tuesday. Decided this was a good way to get back into the swing of things while honoring the occasion like you fine gentlemen.

y4mIe_Wjhk1uhy_UWbrPwAd9VuKP4L1-UGW3Z6ks

• I like it 4

Having a small pour of Blue Note PS SB cask strength. It’s Dickel sourced and almost 14 years old. It’s definitely got some oak, as you would expect, and it’s also got some cinnamon, dark fruit and burnt caramel notes...and the faintest hint of that Dickel Flintstone vitamin note on the finish. A very dark and interesting “Straight Bourbon.”

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

This will come as no surprise since we are brothers, but Rare Breed is my absolute GOTO during Thanksgiving week.

• I like it 1

Tried OF1910 this weekend.  Last night I REALLY got some nice smoke out of it.  Very unique.  I actually tried cold smoking bourbon a week or two ago with disastrous results.  But this, this 1910, is what I was shooting for with that experiment.  Gonna need to get a few more bottles of this.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

A few easy-on-the-wallet bibs while watching the race, gotta pick a few more up on the way through the Holy Lands next week - can't believe I ignored these for so long when I lived up there....

JWD & JTSB.jpg

So are these only sold in KY?

15 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Not really.  I can only speak for NJ, but Dant BIB is sold in limited distribution in NJ.  I have not come across J.T.S. Brown in NJ.  NJ also used to have the HH Gold label BIB, which I still have some handles, but is discontinued.  YMMV depending on the state.

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

10 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Not really.  I can only speak for NJ, but Dant BIB is sold in limited distribution in NJ.  I have not come across J.T.S. Brown in NJ.  NJ also used to have the HH Gold label BIB, which I still have some handles, but is discontinued.  YMMV depending on the state.

I've never seen JTS Brown outside of KY and there are no results on Wine Searcher though it's a tricky one to search for, Dant is pretty available https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/j+w+dant/1/usa

• I like it 1

Thanks for the replies guys.  I’m in a controlled state, so everything is limited here lol.  I bootleg most of my stuff across state lines. ;)

I’ll try & pick these up sometime.  I like to live around that BIB proof, & for such little money there’s no big loss if I have to donate these to some friends with less discernible preferences. :D

At lunch yesterday I had a pour of Baker's.  One of the most under appreciated bourbons in my opinion.  My bottle is almost empty.  I better pick up another.  Once I was home last night I had a nice healthy pour of Early Times BIB.

I actually had a pretty decent day at work today, especially for a Monday. So, I’m having a couple of nice, healthy pours of Weller SR while relaxing at home. It’s tasting especially good this evening. Partly because of the decent day I had, partly because the recent bottlings of Weller SR that I’ve purchased have been pretty darned good, and finally because I only paid $25.99 for this bottle. For further reference, see my post in the “What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today?” thread. ‘Nuff Ced. 

Biba! Joe

None for me this weekend since I've had a nasty cold. Started in my sinuses and now deep in my chest. Uggh. Anyone have a good hot toddy or other cold remedy recipe?

I’ve heard just hot tea, a little lemon and if you can local honey or just any honey, also some whiskey neat on the side to go with it. The tea is supposed to help soothe your throat, lemon for vitamin C, local honey is supposed to help with local areas infections and is also a good cough suppressant, whiskey will open your pours and help you sleep.

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

I’ve never seen the BIB but the 80 proof JTS Brown is available in Texas.

Same in Va. it’s a bottom shelf with the other rot gut choices.

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The 116.8 Rare Breed has this odd way of evaporating in my cabinet. I open one up and a few weeks later is it is empty as all get out. What can ya do?

• I like it 1

I bought third bottle last Thanksgiving in Western NY when visiting, I’m thinking this is two year old RRSB store pick. Maybe a bit off profile but taste like it was a barrel that aged gracefully into the 10+ year range with a bunch of caramel sweetness. Really liked it and was shocked to see the last few bottles still available on closeout, this year. Picked up two more and enjoying the last third of a bottle I opened last year. Sitting outside on some folding chairs in the garage on a crisp November night by Lake Ontario with some bargain sticks.

IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG

Same in Va. it’s a bottom shelf with the other rot gut choices.

Yup same in Texas, I’d be all over the BIB but oh well.

Well Turkey day week continues for me and shockingly I did not have an open 101, interestingly in opening the circa 2000 family size bottle I discovered that the screw top spent too much time sitting next to all those faulty corks and felt the need to try and fit in. 

y4mSPxP0J8GZmliSnf0TcKxjlwYpM91Iga98VSCl

5 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Pretty limited distro AFAIK and going by the other replies - either I haven't been to or looked in the other states mentioned, only KY.  The non-bib 80 proof varieties have a wider distro - seen 'em here in AR on occasion - and the labels are very similar, so don't get fooled....

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.