What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

Comp’d?! Wow! How is it?

I had the chance to buy some last night but it was marked $180 and I couldn’t do it for that price even though I really wanted to try it.

To be honest it was a bit of a wasted opportunity. If you haven't been following posts of my drinking saga last night, this was the 5th (small) pour of the night, earlier ones being various peated and/or cask finished whiskeys including the Parker's Orange. My palate was probably a mess at that point, and my focus long lost.

In the end I couldn't do the Old Fitzgerald justice, gotta go back next week for a "deep dive." But first impressions: This is an easy pass for me even at retail. It smells and tastes like typical bourbon (caramel, vanilla, oak), not much spice, good viscous texture, and burns less than 100 proof. I guess that means an okay, well-crafted BIB. But there was nothing that screamed $100 to me.

8 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Thanks to Uncle Joe, @fishnbowljoe, this was one of the highlights tonight! So grateful for being turned on to this whole Bourbon thing. This was a fantastic pour!!

8 hours ago, Vosgar said:

^^^^^^ Yeah, the ol' boy's very generous in sharing his good stuff! ^^^^^^

Mike shared some good stuff too. Among them David Nicholson 1843, Old Forester 1920 and Blanton’s SFTB. Good times. I even got a couple of early Xmas presents. A bottle of Weller Antique came home with me, as did a nice sample of the Blanton’s SFTB. :D

Biba! Joe

1998 Wild Turkey donut. 

Kentucky Bourbon

Mass. Oysters

On a Lake in Georgia. 

My favorite day of the year. 

284C16E4-EAE7-4F83-BCDC-0F7B403570F9.jpeg

• I like it 2

I am just sitting down with a nice pour of ECBP B517.  After a long day of yard work, cleaning the garage, and hanging Christmas lights, I wanted something special.  I thought long and hard between this and an older CEHT BP, neither of which was open.

• I like it 1

OE101 and apple pie ala mode is a helluva good combo while bc watching OU try to get past West Virginia. 

20181123_193937.jpg

• I like it 1

Spent some time with the Turkey birds I have on hand Thur. Did a little SBS with 3 different RR SiBs, and the B won out again. Bought those bottles in true gluttonous style. 

Last night I decided to celebrate. Did a ER17, EC18, then dropped down to the LotB. A very nice line up...if I do say so.

• I like it 2

On 11/22/2018 at 11:23 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

No, this pie is sans Bourbon. 

I prefer my Bourbon in a glass. 

;-))

Happy Thanksgiving 

Why choose when you can have both?

25 minutes ago, flahute said:

Why choose when you can have both?

I like the way you think.  I don't mind if I do. 

Cheers

I typically don’t like finished whiskey but cold weather and the holidays seems to call for it. 1792PF has subtle finishing to me and I’m enjoying it married in the glass 1:1 with some 1792FP. It’s working very well. 

I’m still in with the turkey “spirit”. Having a great pour of  WTAS. I remember leaving this bourbon on the shelf because I thought $70 was to much money...... if only we could go back in time, I blow $70 bucks on dinner some times, and I only get to eat it once....45C70CD7-4C48-4018-8658-DFD754FD59C8.thumb.jpeg.c879890f11c430fb2343315ce9c4af38.jpeg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I typically don’t like finished whiskey but cold weather and the holidays seems to call for it. 1792PF has subtle finishing to me and I’m enjoying it married in the glass 1:1 with some 1792FP. It’s working very well. 

I like the way you think !

Gonna have to try that.

I’m still in with the turkey “spirit”. Having a great pour of  WTAS. I remember leaving this bourbon on the shelf because I thought $70 was to much money...... if only we could go back in time, I blow $70 bucks on dinner some times, and I only get to eat it once....45C70CD7-4C48-4018-8658-DFD754FD59C8.thumb.jpeg.c879890f11c430fb2343315ce9c4af38.jpeg

That was my favorite Turkey ever. Somehow managed two back in the day but assumed they were extinct in the wild. Great pour! Enjoy!!!

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

y4mAOysrU2lKtHj69gVVq0e5-6YgoURsnE7M30K7

Nice.

How do you like it?

I think it's good, but nothing to write home about.  I think I picked mine up just because I recognized it was out of production and wanted to try it.

Still love that creepy Old Grandad light.  A coworker of mine was recently showing me pics of his (his fathers) that is an Old Grand Dad end table light, with an orange shade and I think had the OGB bust as the base.

I was telling him about yours and his wife interrupted and said "NO.  No more weird lights!"

I said, if you want to find a new home for yours.....he cut me off and said "It's staying in my den...the wife can leave anytime she wants"

:)

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Nice.

How do you like it?

I think it's good, but nothing to write home about.  I think I picked mine up just because I recognized it was out of production and wanted to try it.

Still love that creepy Old Grandad light.  A coworker of mine was recently showing me pics of his (his fathers) that is an Old Grand Dad end table light, with an orange shade and I think had the OGB bust as the base.

I was telling him about yours and his wife interrupted and said "NO.  No more weird lights!"

I said, if you want to find a new home for yours.....he cut me off and said "It's staying in my den...the wife can leave anytime she wants"

:)

For whatever reason I always thought Son of Bourye works for me better than the batches of it's senior I've had, I just picked this one (a 375) up today and left a few on the shelf, was surprised to see them. I didn't think I had one at home but low and behold there was a 750 in my bunker. I actually enjoyed the pour more than I remembered, very solid to me. 

That lamp sounds fantastic, I almost like collecting whiskey ephemera as much as bottles to drink. 

Started with a pour of AAA10 star, and followed it up with a pour of Blantons. Can definatley tell they share the same mash bill, but considering a handle of one comes in plastic, and the other is considered allocated in some areas I have to give it to AAA10, it's really solid (to me at least). I could tell Blanton's was more refined, but for the price difference I will definately pick up another handle when I come across it again on my travels.

I'm loving this holiday weekend. Tonight was BT all night long. Started AGAIN with OWA. Whetted the whistle for WLW. It's so amazing everytime! On to BSFB and a really big pour of ER10 to polish off the night. All's well in Memphis.

• I like it 2

Started my evening with a pour of some old EC12 SB which was actually a 14yr old selection when made a few years ago. Decided to follow that up with the last pour of some Stagg Jr.

• I like it 1

Really need to throw a couple glencairns in the car for whiskey emergencies.

Had three pours and called it a night. Nice but not worth what they are fetching nowadays.

1D0D9C31-CA2A-4A3A-812D-F44F6DD42810.jpeg

• I like it 1

Thanksgiving weekend called for some turkey. Some WTRB and then WT101 8 year. I’m thinking Decades tonight. 

055E1659-AD11-416E-93E7-6146DD8AE80B.jpeg

• I like it 1

OWA to start. Never disappoints. Belle Meade Cask Reserve to finish. Trying to kill this bottle. I’m telling whoever will listen there is Dickle In here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.