What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I too purchased a bottle of Old Fitz 9yr BIB today. The Bourbon Gods must have been telling us something. In addition to the Old Fitz, at bottle of FR SB PS OBSV and some EC SB came home with me as well. Would have been an even bigger haul if not for marked up prices at another store. Check the passed thread for those beauties!

The local Kroger was having its 30% off sale today.  Thanks to PaulO for the heads up! They have really been upping their mid-to-upper tier offerings lately.

Recently, I had seen EC18, HWMWND, AE Rye.  Today, I found ECBP and OF 1920.  I ended up with 2 ECBP @ an average cost of $53.50 (the sale price was $44.09 but I bought one yesterday at retail so I wouldn't miss out) and 2 OF 1920 @ $36.39 each and some standards.  These sales are awesome!

I have found that they typically happen once or twice per quarter so my bourbon buying tends to be less frequent than in the past.  I stock up once each quarter and then periodically pick up a new release or interesting bottle when I run across one.

• I like it 3

This week’s pick ups...

82431EB8-95B7-473C-9F08-2D53984731AA.thumb.jpeg.ff5016d1f8093826da10cb64fe45138c.jpeg

That’s a lot of bourbon. Curious is there an age statement in small fine print anywhere on that Ancient Age bottle?

7 minutes ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

This week’s pick ups...

82431EB8-95B7-473C-9F08-2D53984731AA.jpeg

I think.... you need more midwinters ?

8 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

That’s a lot of bourbon. Curious is there an age statement in small fine print anywhere on that Ancient Age bottle?

Nope :(

7 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

I think.... you need more midwinters ?

To be fair, I picked the other two for a couple buddies who each wanted one lol. 

• I like it 1

To be fair, I picked the other two for a couple buddies who each wanted one lol. 

No statement is a good thing, I swear I’ve seen this with a 36 month statement but likely confused with another AA. No statement means at least four years and I’ve heard it’s double that.

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

No statement is a good thing, I swear I’ve seen this with a 36 month statement but likely confused with another AA. No statement means at least four years and I’ve heard it’s double that.

Gotcha!  For some reason I thought that it might have been opposite.  No AS meant it was the younger stuff.  It was bought on a whim just because.  Don’t see it very often around me. 

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

No statement means at least four years and I’ve heard it’s double that.

Never heard that it’s double 4 years old,  and I seriously doubt it’s much more than days over 4.

Never heard that it’s double 4 years old,  and I seriously doubt it’s much more than days over 4.

I had to go back and look it’s actually 6 years but yeah who knows, still better than 36 months that I was thinking it might be.

38 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I had to go back and look it’s actually 6 years but yeah who knows, still better than 36 months that I was thinking it might be.

6 years? I doubt it’s 6 yrs.  

52 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Overpaid for the W12 but still cheaper than most 12 year bottles. 

enhance

What’s the date code on that 1792 port?

is it a new release, or did you find an old bottle from 2015?

I went to the same sale mbroo5880i mentioned, but a different location.  I picked up: WT 101, FR SmB, and MM.  I learned from the past.  Get there early, or no FR SmB.

They even had the Woodford Oat something for $109 a bottle. Ha-ha, no thanks.  

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, 0895 said:

What’s the date code on that 1792 port?

is it a new release, or did you find an old bottle from 2015?

Its an older one I got from a local guy who was thinning his bunker. Been wanting to add this to my stash for a while.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Its an older one I got from a local guy who was thinning his bunker. Been wanting to add this to my stash for a while.

Gotcha.

Thanks.  I keep hearing rumors that Barton is working on another batch of this, so I've been keeping a lookout.

12 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

It started off believed to be a 6 year bottle, but has since gone to “at least 36 months”. The ones i’ve seen have the age statement on the neck (and not very large).

It started off believed to be a 6 year bottle, but has since gone to “at least 36 months”. The ones i’ve seen have the age statement on the neck (and not very large).

Hmm., let’s wait to see what local authority smokinjoe’s input is.

I thought I was going crazy when I thought I was the only one that saw a 36 month age statement on the AA 10 star.

Overpaid ($49) for an Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength.  Impatience and curiosity got the better of me.  Whiskeyrexia nervosa...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Hmm., let’s wait to see what local authority smokinjoe’s input is.

I thought I was going crazy when I thought I was the only one that saw a 36 month age statement on the AA 10 star.

Here’s what I think I know...  :D

AAA 10 star was 6 years a few years ago, but website does not say that any longer.  So, I “assume” it’s younger, now, but at least 4 yr obviously with no AS on the bottle.   Regular AA had the 36 month thing on it last I saw.  

But, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I ain’t guaranteeing nothin’... ;)

• I like it 1

Here’s what I think I know...  [emoji3]

AAA 10 star was 6 years a few years ago, but website does not say that any longer.  So, I “assume” it’s younger, now, but at least 4 yr obviously with no AS on the bottle.   Regular AA had the 36 month thing on it last I saw.  

But, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I ain’t guaranteeing nothin’... [emoji6]

See what most people don’t know about Joe is he has an inside scoop. Joe does seasonal work at BT. Last time he was there they where bottling a batch of AAA and they told Joe to pull barrels of MB#2 but only ones that where just barely over four years.

Pic of Joe below.IMG_5767.JPG.db863675e8088c5ee815469cf100bb06.JPG

28 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

See what most people don’t know about Joe is he has an inside scoop. Joe does seasonal work at BT. Last time he was there they where bottling a batch of AAA and they told Joe to pull barrels of MB#2 but only ones that where just barely over four years.

Pic of Joe below.IMG_5767.JPG.db863675e8088c5ee815469cf100bb06.JPG

I remember that day!  They took that pic  right before they took me out back and beat the shit out of me for wearing a Jack Daniel’s shirt...  

• I like it 2

I remember that day!  They took that pic  right before they took me out back and beat the shit out of me for wearing a Jack Daniel’s shirt...  

Haha that’s your other seasonal job.

With that said I think they need to consider a name change Ancient Ancient Age for something that’s either barely four years or 36 months feels like false advertising.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.