Show Us Your Stash - Volume 5

Jfletchgu

21 hours ago, Rockefeller said:

Storage.thumb.jpeg.3aac2424aa01fba9657c16c176010b6a.jpeg

Congrats on  fine stash, Rockefeller!   

One question: Are you gonna do something to straighten up these shelves a little?   

I can't imagine how any bourbon bottles would stand evenly on any of  these!   Each shelf would wind up having all the bottles slide downhill and pile up in the bottom corner!   I can't believe you didn't notice how crooked they are!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Congrats on  fine stash, Rockefeller!   

One question: Are you gonna do something to straighten up these shelves a little?   

I can't imagine how any bourbon bottles would stand evenly on any of  these!   Each shelf would wind up having all the bottles slide downhill and pile up in the bottom corner!   I can't believe you didn't notice how crooked they are!

lol, I'll work on the bar

• I like it 1

WOW, so I'll reset this thing... I'm still a young buck, grinding away. But here is the on decks for the top shelf.

IMG_20200430_175904.jpg

• I like it 2

On 4/30/2020 at 5:11 PM, Mattk said:

WOW, so I'll reset this thing... I'm still a young buck, grinding away. But here is the on decks for the top shelf.

IMG_20200430_175904.jpg

That is a good start. You have a really nice lineup there. It will grow fast. Sometimes faster than you want. ;-))

Cheers

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 10:25 PM, Rockefeller said:

Hi all - decided to slowly come back to the Bourbon community after a 3-4 year break (feel free to read about why I quit and why I'm coming back).  Pulled the collection out of storage for a recent move and thought it would be a good opportunity to document what is left.  It's about half of what I used to have at peak collecting since I gave away and drank the other half.  Looking forward to rebuilding.  Will probably open one or two bottles of the old collection each year to enjoy with family and friends.  Going forward, will be avoiding the famous allocated bottles (and hype) unless it isn't marked-up to simply focus on what I think is delicious + presents good value.  But it's still fun to look back at what was sourced years ago. 

Pulling boxes out of storage, luckily nothing was broken or destroyed

JPS17, JPS18, 4RLESmB 2012, 4RLESmB 125th Anniversary, PHC Golden Anniversary, PHC Cognac Finished, PHC Blend of Mashbills

Various bottles of BTAC (2007-2013 releases) including the 2003 GTS aka Haz1

If you want to know whether bourbon is a good "investment", it is not.  I wrapped WLW with a newspaper I had for storage -- just look at what I could have bought Amazon stock at instead of the bottle ?

Some Van Winkles.  Of course, the rye is my favorite

Assortment of Stitzel-Weller PVWs

I don't usually keep empties but this was so hard to find back in the day and I've never seen one in the wild

Miscellaneous: EWSB 2000, AH Hirsch 16, EH Taylor Tornado, Macallan 18-1985, Macallan 18-1978

Please don't hate me.  I had numerous discussions (arguments) with my girlfriend at the time why paying $500-700 for an MSRP $350 bottle was justified and a good idea ... and why I should actually buy more than one.

Nose on this is exquisite and a reminder of why I fell in love with bourbon to begin with

Just saw this.  This is unreal.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:16 PM, Kepler said:

Just saw this.  This is unreal.

I've learned over the years that it's more meaningful to me to curate for quality instead of quantity.  Good luck on your bourbon journey

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Packing day...can you tell my favorite???? 

i wish I would have kept all the containers for the ones I had to wrap. 

D2A2C124-4924-437B-9BAC-72E63F0DA779.jpeg

10 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Packing day...can you tell my favorite???? 

i wish I would have kept all the containers for the ones I had to wrap. 

D2A2C124-4924-437B-9BAC-72E63F0DA779.jpeg

Holy crap.  Save some for the rest of us.

?

• 2 months later...

image.thumb.jpeg.a04892fb0c293db955f23bdeb3c82212.jpeg
This was at some point in 2019. A few of these have been enjoyed and a few more are being bunkered at a friends house. This must have been before the fall.. i dont see any GTS, WFP or charter oak in this shot. 

• I like it 10

42 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

This was at some point in 2019. A few of these have been enjoyed and a few more are being bunkered at a friends house. This must have been before the fall.. i dont see any GTS, WFP or charter oak in this shot. 

Very very nice collection F.H.

Jealous of that ER17, that one eludes me.  

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Very very nice collection F.H.

Jealous of that ER17, that one eludes me.  

Thanks Kepler. That and the W19 are my favorites

• 4 weeks later...

I ran out of room at my main house so my wife and I purchased a vacation home in the historic district of Bardstown.  There is an office in the house that has some built in shelves that I'm going to turn into a whiskey tasting room.  I don't have much moved down yet, but its a start.  All of the bottles that will be stored here are to be opened and freely consumed by visitors so no "show pieces".  The shelves aren't adjustable and they keep getting shorter as you move up towards the ceiling so I'm going to need to find a bunch of bottles that are 9" or less to fill up those spaces.  The plan is to eventually tear these out and put in new built in shelves with a library ladder...but there's a lot to do in the home before I get to that project.

Whiskeywall.jpg

house.jpg

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
  • I like it 11

4 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I ran out of room at my main house so my wife and I purchased a vacation home in the historic district of Bardstown.  There is an office in the house that has some built in shelves that I'm going to turn into a whiskey tasting room.  I don't have much moved down yet, but its a start.  All of the bottles that will be stored here are to be opened and freely consumed by visitors so no "show pieces".  The shelves aren't adjustable and they keep getting shorter as you move up towards the ceiling so I'm going to need to find a bunch of bottles that are 9" or less to fill up those spaces.  The plan is to eventually tear these out and put in new built in shelves with a library ladder...but there's a lot to do in the home before I get to that project.

Are the rooms cheaper than the ones at the GN? ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Whiskeywall.jpg

house.jpg

Hmmm.... maybe we should hang out at your place now instead of the GN gazebo on future SB Spring Social And KBF get-togethers. Congratulations on the beautiful house John! 

• I like it 1

Whiskeywall.jpg

house.jpg

That's next level when you have to buy another house in Kentucky to store your stash, which I guess are now stashes plural.

Whiskeywall.jpg

house.jpg

I had seen this place on Zillow.  Beautiful historic home.  It looks like you are making good use of the space.  Congrats, I love Bardstown!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Whiskeywall.jpg

house.jpg

Nice! Vacation house in Bardstown - brilliant!

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Nice! Vacation house in Bardstown - brilliant!

Keep us updated on what you do to the place!   Looks AWESOME - Congrats.

19 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Hmmm.... maybe we should hang out at your place now instead of the GN gazebo on future SB Spring Social And KBF get-togethers. Congratulations on the beautiful house John! 

might be able to arrange that....

• I like it 2

Okay, so here’s my proposal. ?  Mind you, this is once you have the guest bedroom(s)/ area all set up. Leave a key with the next door neighbor. Let them know when someone is coming down to stay so we have access. I’d say you start out with a rate for us at $50.00 a night. On top of that, whoever stays there also has to leave a (not lame) bottle. We can work out the minor details concerning bedding, towels and such later on. Sound good? ?

Biba! Joe

ps. All kidding aside, congrats on the house John. Big props to you and your wife. Yes, I forgot her name again. ? How many years now?  If you need any bourbon decorations and such, I’m sure a number of folks here, myself included, might be of some help. 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Okay, so here’s my proposal. ?  Mind you, this is once you have the guest bedroom(s)/ area all set up. Leave a key with the next door neighbor. Let them know when someone is coming down to stay so we have access. I’d say you start out with a rate for us at $50.00 a night. On top of that, whoever stays there also has to leave a (not lame) bottle. We can work out the minor details concerning bedding, towels and such later on. Sound good? ?

Biba! Joe

ps. All kidding aside, congrats on the house John. Big props to you and your wife. Yes, I forgot her name again. ? How many years now?  If you need any bourbon decorations and such, I’m sure a number of folks here, myself included, might be of some help. 

Funny you mention the leaving a bottle as that is my planned "cost" for friends who stay.  They have to leave a bottle behind with their name across the front so if it sucks, people can be ridiculed for it, and if they leave something great, well then they will look like generous people..

• I like it 4

33 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Funny you mention the leaving a bottle as that is my planned "cost" for friends who stay.  They have to leave a bottle behind with their name across the front so if it sucks, people can be ridiculed for it, and if they leave something great, well then they will look like generous people..

How many nights does a handle of WT101 get me? :)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Sounds good to me.  ?  Of course staff and moderators get a discount. ? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 10/5/2020 at 12:21 PM, ThirstyinOhio said:

Whiskeywall.jpg

house.jpg

Nice place. I am wanting to take a trip to bardstown and stay at the talbott.

12 hours ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

Nice place. I am wanting to take a trip to bardstown and stay at the talbott.

The Talbott is nice