What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2018)?

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Checking in on the lunar eclipse every 30 minutes or so while sipping some Belle Meade SiB and New Riff SiB. Transitioning from a 10 year to a 4 year highlights the brash youth of the New Riff, but wow, the flavor is there. 

While watching the Pat's game I decided that KC Cask Strength 9 y.o. rye went rather well with homemade chocolate chip cookies.

I had an Old Forester 1920 and an Old Ezra 7 BP waiting for the eclipse and fell asleep. Is that a sign of getting old?

Just sat down with a healthy pour of HMcKBIB. Probably follow it up with some 4RSB or Blanton's.

• I like it 1

I had about 2” of ice ball left after my old fashioned, so I gave it a WT101 bath. Hate to waste good ice.

• I like it 1

Planned on pouring a 4RSB, but it was behind my bottle of Rare Breed. So, now I'm drinking some Rare Breed. 

• I like it 3

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Planned on pouring a 4RSB, but it was behind my bottle of Rare Breed. So, now I'm drinking some Rare Breed. 

You're gonna fit right in here Sailor.

It's fairly easy to get distracted in this hobby, but most folks won't admit it. Hold on. "Squirrel!' Or maybe.... wait a minute... BSO!  (bright shiny object) :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

I've really been enjoying this JB Distiller's Cut.  I grabbed the last bottle (in a box) at my favorite store.  I hope more comes our way.  

On 1/20/2019 at 5:05 AM, MTNBourbon said:
Getting to this bottle, very nice, very drinkable at the proof, nice color.
8mHd4k1.jpg
iEzuWYP.jpg

The good stuff, very nice, how do you like it ? 

Will.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

The good stuff, very nice, how do you like it ? 

Will.

Really nice, a notch or two above the single barrel 10yr. old.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Really nice, a notch or two above the single barrel 10yr. old.

Need to give a try to the regular 10y, still available in Europe, but it's drying out now, maybe i'll pull the trigger before it's too late. Enjoy, that's definitely great juice. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Need to give a try to the regular 10y, still available in Europe, but it's drying out now, maybe i'll pull the trigger before it's too late. Enjoy, that's definitely great juice. Cheers! 

Will.

Too bad I did not know about this stuff eariler, I would have bought more.:)

• I like it 1

The end! Too bad they don't sell this around here, well at least in the few stores I visit.

Bm7g8ri.jpg

Had 4 half-pours split with a friend that's in town - basic survey of some if my easy to find favorites: 1) RRSB 2) Baker's 3) Blanton's 4) OF Single Barrel. Actually, the last one was supposed to be an OF 1910 or 1920, but I had never tried an SB from OF so gave it a go.

Finishing up at home with a Blanton's SFTB, a little too strong for my friend.

IMG_20190122_213423.thumb.jpg.57e300d49b618f493963c85edd04f17d.jpg

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Too bad I did not know about this stuff eariler, I would have bought more.:)

Many of us have truly said that about one brand or another.

• I like it 1

I'm switching things up yet again. This evening I'm keeping things nice and simple with a couple of pours of EW BIB:) While I admit that I dearly miss the HH6 BIB, EW BIB is  fast becoming a very able replacement.  No complaints here. :D

Biba! Joe

On 1/19/2019 at 11:05 PM, MTNBourbon said:
Getting to this bottle, very nice, very drinkable at the proof, nice color.
8mHd4k1.jpg
iEzuWYP.jpg

One of the best bottles of bourbon I ever drank is a close cousin of this - Barrel #3620 bottled by Sarah on August 4, 2016 - 10 years, 120.4 proof

Edited by Jazz June
Barrel, not bottle #
  • I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

One of the best bottles of bourbon I ever drank is a close cousin of this - Barrel #3620 bottled by Sarah on August 4, 2016 - 10 years, 120.4 proof

Don't know anything about bottling, but comparing the two, seems weird to me, even the proof changed, when it aged another month?

1 hour ago, MTNBourbon said:

Don't know anything about bottling, but comparing the two, seems weird to me, even the proof changed, when it aged another month?

•  

If I'm understanding what your getting at here, there isn't a direct correlation between age and proof, it's kind of miraculous those two are so close, location and the actual barrel can change evaporation. If I missed the mark my apologies.

Will try  to stay awake for a late start Blues hockey game. Not sure if bourbon is a good idea to keep me awake but this is good stuff. I picked this up when I was in PA for the $39.99 retail price which I think is fair. It's going for $79.99 at some places around here which I think is ridiculous. A coworker negotiated one down to $60 and seemed happy with it.

20190123_204116-784x1613.jpg

14 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

If I'm understanding what your getting at here, there isn't a direct correlation between age and proof, it's kind of miraculous those two are so close, location and the actual barrel can change evaporation. If I missed the mark my apologies.

If his numbers are correct, his batch is later than mine, but it was bottled earlier.

1 minute ago, MTNBourbon said:

If his numbers are correct, his batch is later than mine, but it was bottled earlier.

Single barrels so they dump them when they dump them, not to mention they were likely bought in lots from MGP and I doubt the organized them by barrel number when they got to WV, not to mention being 4 barrel's apart they very much could have been filled on the same day if they are using MGP's barrel numbers. If they are using something in house it's a bit different but most places go with more of an it's ready when it's ready approach than first one in first one out.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.